Sign in to follow this  
welderman85

batteries

welderman85

With multiple tractors I try to keep a good battery in all of them,but it seems they always go bad fast. I there a better brand? I try to store them inside so the dont frezze in the winter but it dont seem to help. The battery in my Harley lasted four years.the most I have gotten out of a tractor is two years. Its getting kind expensive and I was wondering if there was something I can do to get more life out of them. Thanks for any help

Tim

ditto

Jeremy Watson

A couple week ago a guy at napa told me there only good for a year. Anything after that was a gift. I asked if it mattered if it was stored inside or had a battery tender on it. He said no. I'm hoping for more!

Kelly

I'm having good luck with a 6 year old Interstate batt. it is getting weak, but 6 YEARS, I bought a few Exide batts this year time will tell, I have 2 Briggs and stratton batts here they seem to be nice one is 2 years old, but at $55 each not cheap, you get what you pay for the cheap TSC or Walmart ones last a year maybe 2, I use batt. tenders on the tractors I use in winter, the rest set in the tractors till spring, I had a old Sears Die hard that lasted a few years and it was older when I got it.

I did a few years ago pick up a couple used wheel chair batts from the junk yard for $2 each one of them lasted 2 years, they are VERY heavy compared to a normal batt. I looked in to buying one but well over $100 each no thanks.

Jake Kuhn

if you buy a interstate battery they are good money but some of them have a 75 month warranty on them. Even if you have to pay good money for it thats guaranteeing you 5 or 6 of the ones your saying you get a year of.

tunahead72

I've had good results with Interstates the last few years or so. In fact, I'm gradually switching over all my vehicles to Interstate when the time comes, partly because I get a good price and excellent service when necessary from my local mechanic.

But no matter the brand, I always get longer life if I'm careful about bringing the battery inside for the winter and keeping the fluid level topped up and the battery charged. I don't have a Battery Tender to maintain the charge, but I do have a charger that I use once a month or so, works well for me.

And make sure you do your charging in a well-ventilated area, well away from sparks. Bob (rmaynard) will remind you if you forget! :)

I know there's at least one other thread that covers this topic in a good bit of detail, I'll look around and see if I can find it and post a link here.

EDIT:

Here's a couple of threads I was thinking about:

And another on battery size:

By the way, the short version of my answer to your main question is KEEP IT CHARGED.

This past winter was really mild here, so I used my 310-8 a good bit to haul firewood and just play in the yard. I didn't take the battery out for storage like I usually do, and it bit me in the arse in the spring. I started having problems starting the tractor, charged it a couple of times and it seemed fine, but just wouldn't hold on to a charge for very long. I finally had my mechanic do a load test, it failed miserably. I bought a new Interstate, no problems so far, I WILL be taking it out before it gets too much colder here.

2nd EDIT:

One more thread you might find useful:

Edited by tunahead72
  • Like 1

welderman85

im going to have to look into getting a few interstate batteries. i think my 314 had one in it when i got it and that tractor sat for 3 years out side before i got so it has to be at least 4 or 5 years old and still going strong with out very good care.

Don1977

I never had any luck with the cheap lawn battery's. I am now using a 320 amp. battery it's 3 or 4 years old I haven't seen any drop in power. The dealer I bought it from said he had been selling them to people to put in there Drag Racers to save weight. I don't know the name of the battery, battery's, cables and voltage regulators are the only thing this guy sells.

Tankman

I too am using 320 Amp batteries. Purchased at the auto parts store.

Anti-corrosion gel used at the battery connections.

Home "Cheapo" sells Interstate also. Purchased one there, holding up three years so far not a problem.

My Horses are indoors when not in use but, cold in the barn. Doesn't seem to matter, cheap batteries don't cut it.

COMMANDO1

WHAT ABOUT USING SMALL CAR BATTERIES......IVE WUNDERED

Tankman

I've had the same thought but, never tried.

If I did decide on a small car battery, I would take a tape measure on

my shopping trip.

refracman

I get batteries from a store called Andersons, 360cca $45-55 depending if they are on sale and last just about 5 years on the LG style. In the GT14 and C160 I use the top post style LG battery which is 390cca and they run 50-60 and last about the same or maybe a extra year. My garage isnt heated and the GT sits outside although covered, I try to start them every couple of weeks thou. I've been useing them for 25 years and quality has been about the same.

A buddy runs the interstate from NAPA and he gets maybe 6years, I think they cost more thou :scratchead:

You do get what you pay for.

Don1977

I had a vacuum bracket on my tractor with a place to hold a battery . I used a 550 amp. car batteries for 20 years or so. Couldn't find that size and the last one was for a Honda. I went back to the lawn mower type when I got the 320 amp.

2005-07-13006.jpg

baerpath

You want to see a good battery try this one http://www.jegs.com/i/Odyssey-Batteries/501/PC1200MJT/10002/-1?parentProductId=743313#moreDetails

I was given 2 of these when another puller went to offboard starting. You should see how they crank over a tractor. I was amazed at what 725 to 1200 cca looks like. I took them out of the pullers to use on the snowblower tractors for the winter. Have to see how long they last at that price even with a 8 to 12 yr life there not cheap

Duane

krazy_horse

I was told years ago by an old friend who did small engine repair to slow charge (2amps) a new battery before I installed it in my mower or tractor. Knock on wood I do have pretty good luck with them. krazy_horse

Edited by krazy_horse

Tankman

320 CCA garden size, from the auto parts store.

Get 4-5 years sometimes longer life. I don't like to, and don't, ever keep a battery longer.

A tuned engine, starts easily. Winter, I use 10 W 30 synthetic crankcase oil.

• Like 1

Buckshot 1

:) I too use Interstate. I buy the biggest amp battery that will fit 320+. I also disconnect both cables while storing my seasonal equipment. On my plow tractor, I have a 750 amper. Which I maintain with a battery tender plus. Which goes to float charge when battery is fully charged. I finally wised several years ago and quit buying those 19.99$ dime store batteries. :flags-usa:

Martin

some of the 60s tractors you could get a small car battery in. my 1057 uses a group 26 car battery, fits in the standard size battery tray......

post-4321-0-17607400-1355602641_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-68553400-1355602749_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Kelly

Martin are you sure that is a standard batt tray?? I thought those tractors had the big tray??

Martin

Kelly, I guess I should clear that up a little. It's a standard 1057 tray. Which as you would know is larger than the 'normal' lawn and garden battery tray. Sorry for any confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Kelly

I just don't want anyone to think it will fit all tractors, and those big trays are hard to find in good shape.

Martin

can the big trays be fitted in place of the small ones?

i think from memory (been some time since i was fabricating the tray for my 1057) that the large ones had 4 bolts for fixing and the small ones had two. so if you had the room (maybe not on the small frame tractors) to replace a small tray with a large one, you could indeed use a group 26 battery.....

just thinking out loud i guess.....

and anyone with basic fabricating skills and primitive metal folding capabilities could fabricate a large tray from scratch, or as i did with the 1057, from a rusty original. i still have that rusty tray in my good scrap steel pile if anyone would need dimensions etc.....

another thought, the large batteries are nice i guess if you have a larger electrical load or maybe they would hold on a little longer towards the end of their useful life, but i only have one tractor with the larger battery and i use most all of them at one time or another. i can honestly say that even the ones with smaller l&g batteries in them ive never had any trouble with, starting wise, just have to maintain them a little and have good starting and running engines. if the thing starts easy then your not going to strain the battery every time you kick it in the guts and it will last longer. of the l&g batteries i have 2 of them are at least 3 years old (an interstate and a napa) and the one on my c125 has a 2008 date on it (some sort of jd battery).

Edited by Martin

Kelly

I'm not sure with out checking but I think the big trays stopped when they went to the gear drive starter, there may not be room for the bigger batt. with the gear drive starter, again not sure never tried.

Martin

just looking at a pic of my c160 (didnt want to trek out to the garage) and i think if the oil drain for the engine was moved then you would have room for a bigger tray. without measuring im not sure what size tray is in the c160 and whether its the same as the large or small earlier ones. still with a little work, it could hold something bigger i think. i remember when looking for that group 26 that there was a couple other car type batteries around the same size....

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

Edited by Martin

sorekiwi

The tractors with the big trays have the oil drain on the front of the motor. And as far as I know they are all s/g motors.

The big tray will definately not fit with the oil drain on the back of the motor,