Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

953 / 1054 / 1054A Trans Axle Parts

Docwheelhorse

Hello All, I have a pair of 1054's, One that is all original and one that has a very nicely transplanted (looks factory!!) 10 Hp Generator Starter Briggs 10 on it. Well I would be very interested in using these tractors but the transaxles are now 44 years old. They work and shift but I am afraid of breaking them, I want to plow snow basically. I do have two spare transaxles ---NO THEY AREN'T FOR SALE---- B) and I want to crack them open and replace any and all worn out parts and install "fresh" transaxles into the old tractors. Are parts available (beyond the common bearings and seals...) or am I better off letting sleeping dogs sleep.......

Thanks

Tony

5 & 1/2 Commando 8's--the 1/2 unit was parted out but will be ressurected...

2 C105's

2 1054's

2 312-8's

1 C145 Auto (12 hp kohler transplant)

1 C125 Auto (thanks Sparky!!)

1 C165-8

1 603

1 C141

2 B80-8

2 B80-4

1 414-8

1 520-8

1 520-H (runs but man it was hammered since day one.....)

1 800 Special

Lotsa parts and dead carcases

Lotsa Decs/Plows/Attachments

other stuff I have forgotten!!! B)

:whistle: I'm an addict and I don't care!!! :horseplay:

oldwhman

Let me see if i have this straight. You have 2 1054's with transaxles that work perfectly. You also have 2 spare transaxles for these tractors. Hmmmm... what about those motors..............they will probably go bad before the transaxles. Unless you abuse them.........plowing snow will not affect the transaxles. The weakest link in the drive train is the belt, it should slip or stall the engine before breaking the transaxle. If you take as good a care of your autos as you do these tractors let me know when you want to sell one. Me.........i'd just rest easy and forget about any breakage......you've got enough insurance already. Hope this helps!!!!!!!

Teddy da Bear

Amen on those transaxles.

Mine is apparently broken because I see a hose clamp on the one side and the seal comes in and out real easy.

I would be interested in one of those should some day you change your mind.

Respectfully

linen beige

I agree, Unless you just like to tinker, and you have TWO spare transaxles to "play" with, I wouldn't do more than change the oil that is in them and maybe replace the seals IF they are leaking (and don't forget the hydro lift pump, its location can mean it can leak until dry and you may not notice.). Check the drained old oil for metal shavings. If you find none, or no more than very fine particles indicating normal wear that takes many, many, hours to add up to failure, you're probably going to get years more service out of the ones you now have. If you really want to be positive you have a like new tranny, open up the two spares and rebuild them. then they will be ready to go if and when one or both of the current ones fail.

Parts, gears especially, may be pretty hard to find, and could be costly. There are a lot of shops out there that are set up for and regularly make new gears for the auto restoration hobby. Most are relatively competitively priced and since you have other trannys that can provide sample gears making a new copy would be a lot easier and cheaper than trying to cut a new gear when the original is too damaged to be used as a pattern.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 953, 1054, and 1054a used different model number transmissions, indicating some changes between the model years, but I don't know what those changes were or how drastic they were. They did all use the same case, so should interchange.

One other thing to remember is that these models were originally marketed to the commercial market as very heavy duty (How many other ten hp machines can handle a 48 inch mower?). Very few of those used as homeowner's tractors have ever been worked really hard. I have used my 1054a with a grader box to smooth dirt and grade a gravel drive. During MANY hours of use effortlessly moving a couple hundred pounds at a time, no more than half throttle, it has never skipped a beat. With a D series 54 inch dozer blade mounted on it, the only issue has been not enough traction. For some reason, my 702 with dual wheels and a 42 inch blade seems to dig in and push more than the 1054A!