Sign in to follow this  
tractornut86

Difference in collecters and collections.

leeave96

Nice collection you have - very well done.

My view is that everything is relative. Certainly the the C series and 300, 400 and 500 tractors are absolutely collectors items. They were the most prolific tractors Wheelhorse ever made and were then and now very usable - from mowing to plowing snow. Their quality and versatility and that they are no longer manufactured - while demand continues for them, IMHO makes them collector's items.

But to me, the downside of collecting tractors, old cars, antiques, etc., is that while it can be most rewarding and fun, sometimes it deprives the owner freedom to "work" the machine for fear it will loose it's value, break, etc. This is where the later Wheelhorse models bring very nice benefits to the collector (in addition to other collectible garden tractor brands, i.e. Cub Cadet and Simplicity). There are so many of these tractors still around you can restore down to the nut and bolt - for show, or restore/preserve a "working" tractor or both. For me, I'm not really interested in a full-up restored Wheelhorse that forever remains in showroom condition. 9/10th of the fun for me is working these fine tractors.

I like to think I'm in the middle. I want a clean Wheelhorse tractor, but also want it to be a working tractor.

So in the end, what defines a collector's tractor is in the eye of the owner and those who would want to buy it. A lot of folks wouldn't give a dime for a lever steer Wheelhorse and others wouldn't give a dime for a C-series, 300, 400 or 500 series tractor and others would want both.

No matter which Wheelhorse you own - it's all good! :romance-grouphug:

Bill

• Like 6

squonk

Yup, Work them once in a while. Don't let them sit. If you have a crap load of tractors you never get to enjoy them all.

whc160

I know that I do not live far from you & your brother. I do not think I have ever meet either of you. What I do know is that we have a mutual friend that has told me about your collection. One day I would to meet you guys & see your tractors. Hope you guys can make it to the Sugarcreek Show this year.

With that said I do like my C's most. That is because I use them & each has it's job to do. That doesn't mean that I do not appreciate the other :wh: models. I just don't know as much about them. Some day I would like to have a round hood to restore.

squonk

Round hoods are great and when I'm out in the yard running mine I've had more than 1 person toot their horn with a thumbs up or stop and want to know more about it.

weien's wheel horses

I say the older the better now all that talk and no pictures

evanloock

A hobby is for one's own satisfaction and enjoyment. If you need accolades you're doing it for the wrong reason!

• Like 4

tractornut86

Going back to Vinsrj, the tractors that we have are of quility or it doesnt last long. Just the other day cut up a rj58, 400, and a 551 because they werent to the standard. With time they couldve looked like a nice tractor but due to garage full and 2 storage buildings full what can a guy keep? Gotta make room somewhere and take them to a show and people wanna nit pick it and low ball ya we took off few parts ebayd them and cut them. As for pictures i have posted a few and also my brother tractornut46 has posted some also but most of my pics wont load from my phone due to being to large.

tractornut86

Go to antiquetractors.com and under garden tractor photos type in England. England of ohio is some of the pics. Pic size download is larger there to upload pics

tractornut86

I believe this post is going a different direction then how i first thought it up. People think it is to get attention to my collection but its not. This is a wheel horse group and to most people it seems like a 1980s and newer wheel horse group. What im trying to say is that the site needs to be more open and friendly to all wheel horses, people, and other brands. I travel to about 10 shows a year and i meet a lot of people and there is a big number of people that hate red square. They are either members and dont post, used to be member, or have visted it and dont care to come back all because the site is filled with the newer tractors and post of or about older tractors dont get much attention so they feel that there isnt a reason to post more. The other brands section seems to hardly get used anymore also. I know most people have other brands other than wheel horse so show more intrest. To me this site is just plainly boreing anymore. It is always the same thing over and over........ I just got a 312 today.....and it gets like 20 post about it and its like why? Not saying its not a nice tractor but i can drive through my really small town and see like 10 of them and that is actually a fact, but post a ball burner of some sort or some rare tractor that only like maybe 100 of them were made back in the 1930s or 40s and it gets like to responses for it. I just dont get it and its the buddy system on here also that a group of people always comments on each others no matter what it is and leaves people left out so to speak. All that is good but it keeps a lot of people from this site and its limiting the growth and the chance to see more tractors that are out there.

jcb857

Maybe you should start your own site if this one is plainly boreing. just my two cents

• Like 2

jcb857

I have never heard of a true collector cutting up tractors to make room.

• Like 2

tractornut86

Well how much room does a person have? I happen to know of a few true collecters that make room often. Its either salvage some good parts to help other collecters make their tractors complete or let it sit outside and rust away until there is no useable parts left. How often are ya going to sell a frame of a older tractor? Not often and if ya do what are ya going to get out of it? Not alot when can buy a complete tractor for $100 so off to scrap yard.

rmaynard

When you make a statement like "What I'm trying to say is that the site needs to be more open and friendly to all wheel horses, people, and other brands" you obviously don't visit this site very much. With over 6450 members, I don't think you are going to find a forum that is more open and friendly than this one.

If you don't like what you see here, you don't have to hang around.

• Like 6

weien's wheel horses

I have been on many many sites i have owned and own all kinds of tractors but my favorite is older wheel horses this site helps alot some times you can't keep every thing even though it would be nice. also many sites cost money to even ask a question or become a member. so my opinion this site on a scale from 1to10 would be a 10 hands down but Im a wheel horse nut.

• Like 5

KC9KAS

I like just about any GT, and especially the WH's because that is what I have.

I look at all of them....some quickly, some nice and slow so I can study what it is.

I think the older ones (like you have) are very nice, but I do not see many of them because they are so rare, and I certainly couldn't afford one of these really rare Wheel Horse tractors, but I like them just the same. I don't know anything about them, so I couldn't answer a question about them.

I have asked many questions here, and I have answered some questions for others. You have to ask questions with very good details and be patient for someone with the knowledge to properly answer your question.

Everyone on Redsquare has the same basic interest....Garden Tractors....specifically Wheel Horse garden tractors. Each one of us here is very different in what we can affort to buy, or restore, and if we buy for "Show" or as a "Worker". I like seeing nice clean operational tractors that are happy at a show or mowing the lawn.

I'm not sure who or what caused the burr under your saddle, but everyone that I have had contact with on Red Square has been friendly and helpful. Just saying................

• Like 1

groundhog47

Well it may seem as a attention getter but i am looking at all the older tractors and just not what i post. I know of others who post and they get nothing on their post. I know of several older tractor collecters that have either left this site or just wont post anything because all the post and pictures are always of newer stuff or it seems like no one is interrested in what they post. My brother took the 46 lever to a show and one of the wheel horse "collecter" walked pasted it and his son asked what it was and he told him it was a Speedex and walked on. My brother and i got a good laugh out of it.

Man, if your 46 Pond is the one I saw on here I still drool over that, one on ebay big dollars, wife said get it if you want it, but I can't justify that expense now. I know you must be VERY pround of that machine. I got my WH in 80's think 81 and got a manual, on the rear cover was picture of first tractor and then drooled. I call myself a beginning collector and only have one and hope for another. Now Jake there, he's got it goin right and wish my grandsons would take up that direction. Don't let it get you down, THE HERITAGE IS REALLY IMPORTANT, wish they were still made...American ingenuity. Have a good day sir!

groundhog47

Well it may seem as a attention getter but i am looking at all the older tractors and just not what i post. I know of others who post and they get nothing on their post. I know of several older tractor collecters that have either left this site or just wont post anything because all the post and pictures are always of newer stuff or it seems like no one is interrested in what they post. My brother took the 46 lever to a show and one of the wheel horse "collecter" walked pasted it and his son asked what it was and he told him it was a Speedex and walked on. My brother and i got a good laugh out of it.

Man, if your 46 Pond is the one I saw on here I still drool over that, one on ebay big dollars, wife said get it if you want it, but I can't justify that expense now. I know you must be VERY pround of that machine. I got my WH in 80's think 81 and got a manual, on the rear cover was picture of first tractor and then drooled. I call myself a beginning collector and only have one and hope for another. Now Jake there, he's got it goin right and wish my grandsons would take up that direction. Don't let it get you down, THE HERITAGE IS REALLY IMPORTANT, wish they were still made...American ingenuity. Have a good day sir!

Here is your original post, Did you ever submit to the calendar....

varosd

Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya :D

• Like 1

kthack657

As an avid collector of wheelhorses, I love my wheel horses, but I cant exactly afford some of the older tractors, or those I could afford would be so far gone they are not worth my time. The hobbie is something I enjoy, and I look forward to talking to the people that I have met on the website and have helped me. And if you do not think that older tractors do not get attention, look up Fireman and when he got his senior. Remember not everyone has deep pockets and can afford the tractors that you are talking about.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I thought you were into the older horses...What are you doing with a 401??? I will tell you this, if I was at a show that you had some of those at, we would have talked about it. I don't walk by that stuff. Excellent collection. Well, you got every body's IRE up...and you got plenty of responses...so let's see some pictures, and what shows do you go to.??. I just may go to one of those shows...I'll be the guy in the "I Love Red Square" T-shirt. :) :) :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

tractornut86

Never said the site doesnt help people it just depends on what model a person needs help on. Thats one thing i never do is spend what i cant aford. I work full time at walmart so i dont make a lot but gotta buy and sell amd set some aside for personal collection. Counting what i own now and what i have sold or no longer have its around 200 or so. The 46 is my brothers and yes it is a nice tractor.

kthack657

:D

AMC RULES

Humm, why doesn't that post show that it's been edited for content? :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

tractornut46

Seems this has turned out to be a pissin' contest.. anybody willing to come to Ohio is more than welcome and will be accomadated with getting to see the collection. As for my brother anything I own he has interest in it also.. There is no mine and yours in this pile. I dont know what he was thinking when he started this post but there has been a few comments that have aroused my attention.

• Like 1