seth0804

Snow thrower bearings

seth0804

Hello again I am working on my wheel horse snow thrower 42in #803737R2, I need the bearing near the pulley on the drive shaft I need a parts list with the numbers on the bearing inorder to purchase one. Thanks any diagrams would be helpful.

Trouty56

There is a manual in the files section.....maybe there is a parts listing in it.....

seth0804

I checked that and there is no parts list.. Thanks though for your help

TT

Online parts list:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=06-42ST01%2C+42%22+Snowthrower%2C+1980&dn=810176R1-76R10008-0004

Once you see how proud Toro is of that bearing, follow this link:

Wyattrrp

Interesting thread. Especially the January link discussion about common bearings in so many blower models. 2 weeks ago I was getting my new to me 2001 single stage blower #79360 ready for use. I decided to replace the chain as it had stretched past adjustment limit. When doing so I realized the drive shaft gear set screws do not engage the shaft, letting the gear move left and right along the woodruff key. I applied PB Blaster too the set screws for 2 days and could not move the screws. Broke an allen wrench trying. I removed the end bearing to slide the gear off. On the bench with a little heat and more Blaster the set screws came loose finally but needed replacing since they were basically flat and would not bite into the shaft. TSC had them for less than a buck so no big deal. I did not have to replace the gear as it was in fine shape.

However... when I removed the bearing locking collar I felt metals pieces in the grease then when I slid the bearing off, I noted the extended sleeve was chewed up as shown in the 2nd photo below. The first 2 photos are the old bearing.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8480/8180577307_93c1935c9f.jpg http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8478/8180576953_a67e894e75.jpg

The bearing felt good and tight and rotated fine, but with a chewed end I decided to replace it while removed. Toro site shows my blower takes Bearing part #110569 at $53 plus shipping. I could read the removed bearing labeled SKF YET-205-014 so I googled that and the SKF site gave dimensions of 7/8 inch inner diameter bore with 52 mm outer. My shaft is 7/8" I checked after seeing others here needing the 3/4" bore. I went to thebigbearingstore.com and they had the same part number reference giving their equal # as SA205-14G with all 8 same dimensions for $6.53. I ordered 2 and USPO 1st class mail was only $5.40. The new bearing looks good and fits very snug. I opted for relub bearing so I can give it a squirt or two after several hours of use. They had prelubbed sealed too. Here is what the new one looks like. It has a groove with 2 small lub holes and the nub sticking up had to be pulled out with pliers and that leaves another lub hole. That bump must be for some other application as the nub was hitting the self centering housings.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8490/8180576407_5dc097b4fa.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8206/8180611282_6fbff0d727.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8067/8180611018_f2d71e4c51.jpg

The bearing is a KLM brand and seems like it is well built. My question is, why would that end of the old bearing get chipped and mangled like that if it is inside the locking collar? The broke off pieces were all in the excess grease. The collar set screw was tight and came out relatively easy, tight but removable. I note this is an eccentric locking collar and when slid over the bearing extension it only fits in one position. I rotated the collar until it fit centered on the spot where the inner and outer parts fit smoothly then tightened the single set screw. If this is not the way these eccentric collars work I would appreciate if someone would comment.

Anyway, this is another cheaper way to get the blower in shape for all the deep snow 2012-13 is going to throw at us. BTW the #40 roller chain is $20 at TSC long enough for 2 replacements. 1 Toro chain is priced at $82 !!!!! Must be the Platinum style?

Thanks for all the good advice on here. Knowing alternatives to paying full retail at Toro gives an incentive to replace parts instead of trying to salvage questionable parts.

Wyatt

Wyattrrp

Sorry about that I thought I was inserting the photos, not linking them. Here they are again.

Old bearing

8180577307_93c1935c9f.jpg8180576953_a67e894e75.jpg

New Bearing

8180576407_5dc097b4fa.jpg8180611282_6fbff0d727.jpg

Lube Hole on New Bearing.

8180611018_f2d71e4c51.jpg

Wyatt

• Like 1

Wyattrrp

Well after that HUGE storm Thursday Night here in Central Mass, I needed to clear the sides of the driveway. Now that the bearings are all set for Winter 2012-13 I tried out a product called Snow-Jet to lubricate the tall chute on my 312-8 with 42" Single Stage blower. My local Wheelhorse dealer told me about it and warned me NOT to use it on hand shovels. He claimed the snow will fall off the shovel on the backswing making it difficult to hand shovel an area since the shovel surface becomes soooo slippery. He highly recommended this product for snowblower chutes to stop wet snow from clogging the chute.

Here is a short video I had my son take of me blowing, showing how well the Sno-Jet chute lubricant worked. Only 1 minute worth watching...

It sure is a decent product. Hard to believe that my 12HP Kohler Magnum could throw it this far !!! Although I did use High Test gas, maybe that explains it?

• Like 1

can whlvr

imagine if that were a 16hp,hahaha