coldone

D series Hydro motor reassemble vid Part1

Finally! I had a chance to get back out to the shop and get the hydro motor back together. I had taken apart in previous vid and I had to stop when it came time to press the shaft out. I tried getting it out without a press and i buggered up the locking mechanism. I got the parts to repair that and I start the reassembly of the motor.

In this vid i show how to install the locking mech, lapp the valve plate, lapp the cylinder block, the differenecs between a standard 15 series motor and the WH motors, and clean up a little.

This motor will work on the D series and C series.

I hope it helps a few people.

• Like 2

Great stuff!!

Where did you get the locking ring from? I have a couple with broken tabs

What locking ring? the spiral lock?

Coldone....was wondering where you have been. Great video.... I thought 43 minutes would be a long time but now I'm waiting for part II.... Thanks for the time that you have put into this topic....

What locking ring? the spiral lock?

The spring clip that goes on the shaft, you mention it at the end of the video...somewhat pricey you said.

What was the source??

LJ fluid power in MI. (269) 623-4150

You will need to talk to LJ and have the wheelhorse part numbers. I thin the clip was $15.

Part II will get uploaded tonight while I sleep (4hrs to upload). It will cover the locking mechanism, I put it together wrong the first time, and the rest of the assembly. I get it all back together except fo rthe accel valves. I want to do a vid of them disassembled and cleaned.

After that I will be working on a series for the pump. My orginal has some issues so I bought one from Joes OPE that has stripped splines.

I know that the vids are long and I havent taken the time to edit them for lenght. I really just wanted to get the info out and as much of it as I could. There just wasnt any decent vids or manuals showing what's in the motors and pumps. My motivation was seeing all the D series adds (CL) and posts about how the tractors wouldnt go up a hill and people were just getting rid of them or passing them up. Hopefully now we (GT nuts) can save a few more from the scrap pile. Hopefully a few more people will pick up some cheap Ds and spend a little time on the hydro system and have a great tough tractor afterwards.

Excellent video my friend. At first I though that 43 minutes would be painful to sit through, but I was way wrong. I downloaded it to save on my computer to watch when I get up the courage to attempt it myself.

Can't wait for part II.

Thanx for doing this for the rest of the community and the dysfunctional D family!

LJ fluid power in MI. (269) 623-4150

You will need to talk to LJ and have the wheelhorse part numbers. I thin the clip was $15.

Thanks so much for the info and the great video.

The D is getting her pump and motor replaced this winter.

The D is getting her pump and motor replaced this winter.

If you are using used parts,take them apart and clean and inspect them. The best practice will be to break apart the transaxle too and clean it out while you are there. If there is any metal shavings in the system after you change out the pump and motor, it will damage them. Dont forget to flush the manifold lines too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sarge
      Been wanting to figure out a better way to move dead tractors around - some, just isn't cooperative at being towed - the AC 916H is a great example around here. Since the rear axle is a hydro, it does not disengage fully for some reason and the tires are really shot badly. The 16Auto dug some big holes the last time I tried to move it around, so the idea here is to use the D's 3pt lift and it's size/weight advantage to move other dead tractors. I also wanted a toolbar that could have adapters added for various tasks - such as cultivators, tines, rear blade, ect. I've wanted to build a wrecker for years, just never had the time to do it - this year, I decided I've had enough of my aching back and legs - this needs to get done before I end up in the hospital. Always seems there is no help available when I need it, so now is the time - here is where I'm at as of now...

All built from 1/4" thick iron, except the hub mounting plate which 1/2" thick A50 steel. Trailer hub/stub shaft is a 1750lb rated unit. In hindsight, if I ever did it again I'd use a heavier DOM tubing and just turn it to accept bearing races, make the shaft on the lathe and be done with it. Not to mention, I could control the thickness of the assembly a lot better. There are "rear tire carrier builder" parts available out there to do just that with pre-built tubing, the correct bearings and shaft - you just weld it into the square tubing of choice. Still a lot to do - need to make a set of centering springs, locking pins (for toolbar use), tire carrier arms w/tie-down rings, rear blade adapters, ect....

Just thought I'd share a bit - need to some lift testing today, hopefully.

Sarge
    • By dmhill
      Good C120 auto w/deck on it, Good C100 8speed with deck on it, running C145 auto with deck on it, running B100 auto (the one I bought from you), running B82 with new seat and two parts decks with new belts and wheels, parts from a C145 (good hydro, bad motor), parts from a B81, 2 usable decks, 4 dozer/snow blades (several sizes, 3 in great condition, 1 non WH rear plow, 1 non WH rear blade, 2 new never mounted frony tires and steering wheel for C145. $1500 for it all. I am keeping my B80.

• By diddy78c
      Last week I was hauling the c-121 back from my daughters softball practice (I used it to drag the diamond) and I made a right hand turn and stopped at the stop sign. As I made the left onto a non busy county road I watched in my right mirror as my horse decided it didn’t want to be trailered any longer. It rolled over 1 completely time and sat on its wheels. Unfortunately it broke some parts and tweaked the hood and deck lower-lift handle. I did manage to put it back on the trailer as a tripod and get it home. Always check your straps and rigging. Found the ratchet failed in my case. And unfortunately i cannot download a picture for this🤨

• By S.J.
      Hello! I have a 1975 C-100 lawn tractor, and it's in pretty decent shape. Only problem is the mower deck is shot. I've been browsing for used decks, but I'm not seeing any of the original part number, s-0622. So I'm wondering, what other decks would be compatible with this model? 

Thanks! 
    • By Niagara D
      Looking to get out of the WH business so looking to unload everything as one lot.  Have D160 w/ Onan 16 twin original.  Use it to mow last year so it will run, have not started it this year.  Burns oil but good machine otherwise. Has 48 inch belly mower and snow blower. Other machine is 18 Auto with bar tires, 3 pt hitch and rear PTO, 48 inch Rear finish mower and snow blower.  Current state is that it has motor and hydro pump out because the O rings for hydro pump were leaking so while making that repair I planned to change the Pump shaft out.  Motor and drive are good and I have mowed with this in the past.  Spare parts I have include Most of another Machine that was stripped down so there are spare tires rims, rear end, steering components, I also have 2 o 3 spare hydro pumps, extra hydro line sets (hoses and hard lines), Another 16 horse ONAN that blew a rod currently torn down (may be salvageable, never followed up with it).  I am getting several Allis Chalmers garden tractors passed down to me and since I barely have time for my WH I figure its best to pass these on to another collector and make room for the new fleet coming.  Please reach out to me Via Email and we can exchange contact information and I could send pictures when I make time to take some this week.  Thank you.