Sign in to follow this  
vandamja

C-161 Front Wheel Bearings

vandamja

The front "passenger" side wheel bearing on my 1979 c-161 failed. I had not been driving the tractor much this summer, and when I went to give it a fall clean-up, I noticed it. It had been driven on long enough that the outside of the rim was split, and there was more or less shrapnel inside the hub.

I looked on toro parts viewer, and saw that there was a shim washer, bearing, rim, shim washer, shim washer, washer, c-clip. I thought it very odd that there was no outer bearing.

Well the parts came to repair the wheel, and low and behold, there is an outer bearing. Is this not replaceable? Is it part of the rim?

I had welded the split rim in hopes I could make it work. Should I be l be looking for a new rim?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

rmaynard

The C-161 front wheels should have an inside and outside bearing, both the same part number. Shims just take up the slop. If you have the rim welded, the inside diameter should be able to accommodate the 1-3/8" outside diameter of the bearing.

vandamja

Thanks.

I guess I should have looked at the quantity that was called out for those bearings before I placed my order. I just looked again, and it does show a total quantity of four, but the exploded illustration does not show the one on the outer side of the rim.