Sign in to follow this  
RJR49

After Market (Ebay) Parts

RJR49

I have had some problems with my starter hanging up on the flywheel gear, and periodically ponder having to rebuild my K341 one of these days. I have seen decent reviews of the Chinese rebuild parts, and am wondering what everyone thinks of the starting motors, tune up parts, etc.

Red Horse

Please buy Kohler made parts. The labor and time you save doing it right the first time will out weigh the time and money you spend the second time. Remember- quality is remembered long after price is forgotten. BTW The quality of Chinese parts is right up there with the 'quality' counterfit tools. Do yourself a favor and get the real deal. :)

• Like 1

Tankman

Buy American! Made in the USA! :woohoo:

rmaynard

I have used Taiwanese parts in my last two rebuilds with no problems.

JackC

I have had good luck with the Stens starters. They appear to be well made.

whfan74

Bob,

Not to be critical but have those rebuilds been show queens or workers?

Kelly

I like to buy USA parts to, but you will find many of the name brand parts are now being made over seas, I have a few starters here that have made in China stickers on them, they seem to work good, not sure how old they are, they came on the tractors, and not sure how long they will last.

Lars

I like to buy USA parts to, but you will find many of the name brand parts are now being made over seas, I have a few starters here that have made in China stickers on them, they seem to work good, not sure how old they are, they came on the tractors, and not sure how long they will last.

agree whit kelly on that..

i think a lot of the parts u can buy to day is made in China etc.. it is to expensive to made parts in the country.. so they have to go over seas to produse them.. and put their name on it!! just a though..

rmaynard

Bob,

One queen, one worker.

jcb857

:flags-usa:

welderman85

i try to buy all american made parts but its getting hard to find somethings. i have had better luck with the american parts but even some kohler stuff is china

Jake Kuhn

I have had good luck with stens kits in my techies but have never used stens in a kohler. I would think they would be ok, the kohler parts are better quality but they cost tons of money. ~Jake

redidbull

There was an article in a local newspaper a few years back where for a specific period of time, a week or a month, I can't remember, a reporter tried to buy everything US made. Unfortunately it was impossible. I think the toughest thing was clothing. Almost nothing was made in US. Very sad. Jim

• Like 1

KATO

I work for a manufacturer up here in Ontario and we source our parts from all over the world. USA, Canada,

Germany, Italy, And of course China.The Chinese are where Japan was 40 years ago, low cost of living,few labour laws,

very little health and safety and in general they have an unbelievable work ethic.That is why their goods are generally alot

cheaper. They are very willing to work with you to improve their quality or make their parts Exactly the way you specify.

As their general standad of living comes up (its starting to),and their labour laws change (they will have to). The prices will come

up, which they already are slowly. I agree its too bad that it costs so much too support our neighbours, but do we really want to live like we did 100 years ago!! Because for us to compete directly with China And India. Thats about what it would take.

SousaKerry

I dealt with some problems recently at work involving Chinese made components that only cost a few dollars, and the domestic equivalent costs about $1.60 more, that savings of $1.60 cost us over $80.00 per instance in broken valves. So I had to change the specification of the component to buy domestic only. My boss fires it back and says that statement is Racist???? So I said what would you rather do save $1.60 or scrap an $80 valve?

Somehow domestic only is no longer racist? :banghead: :banghead:

But, personally I'd probably buy the knockoff if I had too. That said I have a few older starters laying around that I would rebuild first.

wheelhorse656

I have bought about 3 kits from this guy here on ebay and have had great luck 2 of these engines are workers! I have over 10hrs on 1 of them and about 15 on the other 2. His kits work great! He can get any part you need but this is one of his simple put together kits!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-ENGINE-REBUILD-W-Valves-FOR-KOHLER-K341-16HP-w-16hp-rod-NOT-a-12hp-rod-/380508496926?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589812e41e

can whlvr

i too have used the parts from the guy above,i rebuilt my 312-h in january and have worked the living daylights out of this machine,i have put well over 200 hours this year,and it so far has worked flawlessly,and ive changed the oil about 12 times,just to keep watch on the waste oil,looking for any signs of wear and have seen none.Now i do realize that its only 200,ill let us know how she holds up over the next few years,this engine was in tough shape at 600 hours,obviously not well taken for,im gonna change the oil alot and maybe she will last till at least 1200 hours

bowtiebutler956

Bob,

Scott, my K301 in my B-80 was rebuilt using aftermarket parts. :hide: Piston, Rod, Gaskets, ETC., and its a worker. So far my Kohler is running great with alot of hours on it for only being back in service for almost a year. The price I would have had to pay for genuine Kohler parts was crazy high, and that was not an option. The complete rebuild kit was only $109, and so far I'm very happy. :twocents-02cents: I'm an American, and proud of it, but unfortunately I'm not a rich one. :dunno:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

krazy_horse

Jack C just wondering, is Stens parts USA or made over younder? krazy_horse

bowtiebutler956

Jack C just wondering, is Stens parts USA or made over younder? krazy_horse

Stens parts are from over seas.

Matt :flags-texas:

Buckshot 1

:) I go with OEM kohler, but I have a great parts supplier and get OEM wether it be Kohler, B&S, Tec or Honda at a decent cost. In all the K-series I have refreshed/rebuilt, I have only used one Stens kit, the reason being is that the owner is so cheap he squeeks when he walks. that was on a K-301 and it is still running fine. And he is not easy on his equipment. Although I do use DB electrical for starters and had no problems. :flags-usa:

JackC

STENS is owned by Ariens. STENS brags about their quality but you still have to look at everything on a case by case basis.

Here is some info on STENS. Select NEXT at the bottom to keep reading.

http://www.stens.com...CN=1E3C9C61FCB0

JC 1965

I have always bought Kohler parts from my local dealer where i purchased my first new WH tractor in 1979. The problem is , kohler is making alot of their parts in China and it seems they keep adding to the list of parts they make over there. Hope i'm wrong but i fear someday all their parts will be made in China. :hide:

• Like 1

wheelhorse656

The problem is , kohler is making alot of their parts in China and it seems they keep adding to the list of parts they make over there. Hope i'm wrong but i fear someday all their parts will be made in China. :hide:

It is a shame that we cant buy american made parts easy anymore... The ones we can still get are way tooooooooooo expensive!

JC 1965

Not only are they too expensive bui when i go to the dealer to get parts i'm hearing more and more ( that part has been discontinued ). I really don't understand that, with all the WH tractors out there seems like Kohler could still make money, especially when they are making som many parts in China.