Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

Is this thing on right????

Teddy da Bear

I got an old style quick attach hitch with my 1054. I put it on my C-100 to use with a front dozer blade.

The modern quick attach hitch is much narrower than the old style.

My plow frame mounts outside the levers, while the plow frame on the old style hitch mounts on the inside of the levers. The round cross bar (of the plow) in the rear barely has any engagement per side.

I am thinking if this this has any serious side movement, it will come out of the old style quick hitch. But I think a longer cross bar in the rear would insure enough engagement per side.

Questions: Did I mount the old style hitch correctly? This is the only

orientation I could find that would work like the new style.

Was it meant to work with only old style impliments?

Was the older plow frame a different width?

Here is a picture of my concern.....

Attached Image

post-47-1217091475.jpg

TT

You have the hitch mounted correctly. The older ones are wider because the early A frames were just that - they didn't straighten out at the rear section. The mounting pin was longer and they mounted inside the hitch.

Here's a picture of a 1968 blade (short frame):

19686-2111.jpg

You could always cut a piece out of the center of the crossbar and move the brackets closer together. (to fit inside the newer A frame) If you add a piece of flat steel to the cross bar you could make it adjustable for either style of A frame. (Weld one side solid and drill multiple bolt holes in the other side for the correct spacing.)

Teddy da Bear

That is true Terry.....I could make it adjustable. But I think I have some round bar of the right size and I will just add 3/4" to 1"per side. Then that frame would really have to spread to get off.....lol

I also don't know what is going on in my geometric world....but....the plow sticks out in front wayyyyyyyyy farther than on my B-80. I know there are two sets of holes for the cross bar in the rear, but I have only used the holes furthest back. Because on my B-80......the blade angled almost touched my front tires. B)

But I hate to stir up a frame controversy again.... :whistle:

TT

You would have gained about 3" because the old style hitch places the mounting pin ahead of the axle centerline. (if you have the newer style under-axle hitch on your B-80)

Teddy da Bear

Wow...I did not think I would have gained that much. It seemed to mount pretty close to CL of axle.

plowmaster

sorry this is off topic, but your first picture reminded me of a question ive been meaning to ask.

looking at the rear of the tractor, at the bottom left center of the toolbox, what is the rod that passes thru and into the rear? it seems to go right thru to the front of the transx and stops in the linkage box.

thanks guys, and sorry again for the off topic topic. as you were.

TT

looking at the rear of the tractor, at the bottom left center of the toolbox, what is the rod that passes thru and into the rear? it seems to go right thru to the front of the transx and stops in the linkage box.

That's the housing for the rear lift cable.

plowmaster

thank you sir.

mailman

I thought the bolts on the hitch pointed toward the ground. Not out. Is that unique to that style?

here's mine.

001-1.jpg

TT

That's the newer style, Eric. (the mounting slots are centered under the rear axle housings so it can be used for a tiller or a dozer blade.)

Stigian

Im so glad to read that Terry :whistle:

when i first looked at this thread i thought i had my quick hitch B) on wrong B)

Duff

Rookie question, please?

In Mailman's post just above, his photo of his rear hitch shows a piece of red angle iron on the top of the left axle housing, and a silver bar on top of the right one just above the Unidrive decal. The mounting bolts pass through these. What is the piece of angle on the left for? My hitch has the silver bar B) on top of both axles and no angle piece. B)

Thanks!

Duff :whistle:

Stigian

My quick hitch thingy also has the the bit of angle on it. The bit of angle has a hole for attaching a spring that goes to a rotavator or other bits you hang off the back of a WH.

This is only a guess by the way B)

mailman

Thats exactly right! It attaches to a spring on my Rototiller. Spring assisted lift.

Kelly

learned something new today reading this, I also have a couple of rear quick hitchs that have the angle iron with hole, and didn't know for sure what it was for. Thanks guys never too old to learn.

T-Mo

I have the angle iron also, but when it's attached to my C-125, it almost touches the oil filter for the tranny. B) That can't be good.

Teddy da Bear

"Almost" means it still is not touching! lol

T-Mo

Almost could also mean, it might touch when under load. B)

Kelly

Maybe it goes on the other side?????

Z-man

I saw this yesterday, but being the new guy I didn't want to say anything.

I have mounted like Mailman's on my C series-- bolts toward the bottom, I did have it

mounted the other way last season. It was hard to attach the plow, much easier this way!

--By the way did you guys see my pictures in the 856 B) ?

Raider12

Since you all are discussing hitches, can anyone tell me what this hitch in the picture is used for? I have seen this on different units, but never saw them at work. What do you use it for?

Attached Image

post-4-1218235290.jpg

linen beige

Almost could also mean, it might touch when under load. B)

I might be wrong, B) but if'n ya put enough load on cast iron to flex it, or the load is enough to cause a filter housing to swell, then ya might want to ease up just a tad afur sumpthin blows up. :whistle:

mcwh1950

hope this help.....100_2232.jpg100_2233.jpg100_2234.jpg100_2235.jpg

kayakin2

:D

I am afraid I made the New-be mistake!

I ordered the Wheel Horse "Clevis "Type A" Hitch Model number 85518 Latest & Greatest, Right?

Wrong! :D

Turns out I own a Wheel Horse 268H Model 72087 Year of 2001, and NO, it can not be installed!

So, if someone is looking for a brand new Clevis Hitch (yes, like your pictures show!)

Send them my way! Maybe we can trade for something I need that they don't !

I signed up to listen to all your great advice as I start my retirement years!

Thanks for all your experience! I will be paying attention.

kayakin2

:banghead::USA::omg::thumbs::lol: :lol: