Sign in to follow this  
JackC

Benefits of using Seafoam especially for ONANs

JackC

I have a 1996 Buick Raodmaster Station Wagon with the Corvette based LT1 engine with about 85,000 miles on it. I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. A serious wrapping noise developed under the driver side valve cover. This is not uncommon and is usually due to a sticky valve or valve lifter from varnish or sludge build up. I took the valve cover off and sprayed the valve train with the spray version of Seafoam. I also put some in my crankcase. I soaked the valve train for a few days before starting the engine again. So far the noise is gone. In reading up on it I find that a lot of people swear by Seafoam. Many use it to decarbon their engines. One way to get it into the engine is through the vacuum port to the brake booster. The 520H tractors have vacuum ports on the intake manifold.

The question is would that be a good way to decarbon the ONAN engine. I suppose just poring it slowly down the carburetor throat should work just as well. We know that carbon buildup and over temperature are two conditions that will take out an ONAN engine valve seat or rod. Has anyone used Seafoam to decarbon their ONAN?

I thought this was good enough to share.

http://www.pensacola...seafoam-115979/

Save Old Iron

I have no doubt the product works as a PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE item (I use it on every engine I have, cars, boats, tractors, weed wackers, etc)

I have some serious doubts about using the product to CURE a major problem. Case in point would be to de-gunk a car engine with plugged oil return passes in the head. If the buildup is already that bad, I think breaking the buildup loose inside the engine is probably a bad thing to do.

Otherwise, I give it a "9 thumbs up" rating.

• Like 1

squonk

I bought a 94 Chevy pu with 120,000 mi. on it. When warm it had a "tick" at idle. I was working at a Napa and the Sea Foam guy comes in. We talk and he gives me a can. I pour half of it into the oil and the other half in the gas. I drive 2 miles home for lunch and 2 miles back. The noise is gone and never came back. I sold the truck at 164,000 :thumbs:

KC9KAS

I had a 1978 Gold Wing that wasn't getting the MPG's that it once did, and it was running very poor....I used a couple SEAFOAM treatments and it ran like a new bike and the MPG's went from 30 to 40!

I now use SEAFOAM in all my internal combustion engines as a fuel stabilizer.

Redline69

Interesting topic.

I've tried the Seafoam on some car engines,with some success, but haven't tried it on my WH tractors yet. My 518 is running particularly rough, I feel it's a sticky intake valve, so I might give this a try before my next oil change.

Frank

JC 1965

I use it as a fuel treatment in everything. It helps keeps the fuel system clean. With the crappy gas you get these days you need something to keep  carbon buildup from happening. So far I haven't had any carb trouble on my  :wh: tractors. It also works good on fuel injectors.   :hide:

MalMac

Seafoam is great stuff, but you have to remember that it also will cause your rubber fuel lines to deteriorate over time with constant use. You won't even notice it till it's too late. The line starts to break down on the inside first and the outside won't even give a clue. Small micro tiny bits of rubber will start to be released and then on to the carb. Really plays heck with a Onan.

Tankman

'Cause of all the Seafoan talk, I decided to try it on my 20hp Onan.

After the Onan, used it on my 16hp Kohler.

I used the spray cleaner in the carbs, engine runnin'.

I would say WOW! Made both engines purr. Seafoan spray cleaner is on my list to pickup and I intend to use the spray again on my preventative maintenance list. :ychain:

PS. Engines smoked like chimneys when spraying then clean, running smooth, a pleasure to listen to both the Onan and Kohler purrin'.

gwgdog66

I've used the spray on my K series kohlers, and it seemed to make a difference. just use it sparingly in the fuel. I wound up replacing all my fuel hoses (like MalMac states)

sscotsman

I actually have personal experience that seafoam *cured* a problem! :)

I bought a 1971 Ariens snowblower in 2009..original Tecumseh engine..

That first winter it was working fine through the first several snowstorms, until one day I put it back

in the garage after clearing the driveway, and I had a gas leak! dripping right out of the carb bowl..

knowing nothing about engines or carbs, I went on-line, and asked for advice on a snowblower forum..

I was told the gas leak was almost certainly due to a "stuck carb float"..at the time, I barely understood what that meant!

So I tried some of the "simple" possible cures first..gently tapping the side of the bowl with a hammer, and one or two other

things I dont remember..The "ultimate" solution would have been actually taking the carb apart and cleaning it! which I was

hesitant to do, because I had never done it before and didnt have the slightest idea how to do it!

Another suggestion to try, before giving up and tearing the carb apart, was seafoam..

So I got seafoam, mixed it with the gas..at first, it seemed it also didn't work..gas was still leaking..(I was stopping the leak

by turning off the gas flow at the shut-off valve under the gas tank)

but after about three runs with the seafoam in the gas..the leak stopped! :)

Is it *possible* the leak stopped due to something else? and not seafoam?

maybe..but IMO its extremely unlikely..

I believe that the seafoam "cleaned" the carb enough, internally, that it "un-stuck" the sticky float

and stopped the leak..that seems the most plausible conclusion to me! So I am a fan of seafoam..

before seafoam, sticky float and leaking gas..

after seafoam, no sticky float and no leaking gas..

seems pretty clear to me..

Eventually I did take that carb apart! because it was running rough..

I took it apart and cleaned it:

the problem was a small "pine needle" type thing, stuck in a needle valve hole..

So I am no longer afraid of taking carbs apart..

but at the time, seafoam was a great solution to my gas leak problem..

I now always use it for the Tecumseh on the snowblower as a regular "treatment"..

Scot

WVMountainMan

Seafoam is the best in my humble opinion. I use it in everything...weed eaters, boat, four wheelers, chainsaws, blowers, wheel horses, car and truck.But...I would not however, operate under that tried and true assumption that if a little bit is good a whole lot is even better.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

My car O2 sensor would cause the engine light to come on after long trips.  I put a some Seafoam in from time to time and it's no longer an issue.  

Redline69

Great info folks.

I'm glad I brought this subject BTTT.

I guess the Marvel Miracle oil is in another thread?..( I know..don't mix my miracle cures in one thread..lol)

:eusa-shhh:  :angelic-halo:

Frank

neil

SeaFoam Verses Marvel Mystery Oil1.doc

I came across this statement  from a guy that carried out a test . ( make of this what you will )

squonk

Half a can?? :jaw:  No wonder he had problems! A Can treats 8-25 gallons. What a Banana Head! :banana-wrench:

AMC RULES

Must've smoked like Chernobyl.    :scared-eek: 

Redline69

I agree, that sounds like a LOT of Seafoam, but I am interested in the MMO info side also.

squonk

:banana-wrench:6775-789-1_zpsfb78ed73.gif :banana-wrench: