Sign in to follow this  
vandamja

Recommended shops in SE Michigan for Kohler K341 rebuild?

vandamja

Hello,

I've got a 1979 C-161 with a Kohler K341 in it. Completely original engine that has never had any major work done to it. I know the original owner, who purchased it new in 1979. It's an awesome tractor with an equally awesome engine. But all of you know that already.

It has used some oil ever since I became its caretaker, and it has become increasingly difficult to start. Once it is running it is strong. A bit of Blue smoke. It does have a bit of a miss at top speed, but I've come to believe that is not all that uncommon with these engines.

Anyway, I want to have it rebuilt this fall. I've used a shop in Holley MI in the past, Al's Small Engine, but it appears they are now out of business. I am in the Brighton/Milford area, which is about half way between Lansing and Detroit. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good shop? I know there is one in almost every town, but it is hard sometimes to know which ones are good.

Thanks.

SousaKerry

Are you sure it actually needs rebuilt. Sounds like a carb cleaning and new seals, maybe a valve adjustment and new set of points. If you are not lacking power I would not worry too much about a little blue smoke.

When was the last time the head was taken off and cleaned?

A little routine maintenance can go a long way on these good old Kohlers and even save you several hundred bucks. As for shops in the area I don't personally use any I do the work myself if I can.

vandamja

I've put new points in it and adjusted the timing. I've also put a carb rebuild kit in it. The oil usage is enough that it is a little concerning. It probably goes from "full" on the dipstick to "barely reading" on the dipstick" in about 20 hrs.

I'm 99% sure that the head has never been off. Carbon build up is not going to lead to oil usage right?

This tractor was used to mow 2+ acres for nearly 30 years. The engine has to have well in excess of 2,000 hours on it. I know these old Kohlers are amazing engines, but it would seem that after that much time and those many hours, a rebuild might be in order? The last think I want is for this engine to torpedo on me.

Maybe I'm wrong and the hours are not a big concern?

Fun Engineer

Knights Auto, NAPA

(248) 363-4157 -

A young guy that does their machining did my K181. Bored 20 over, new valve guides. Bought my piston, rings, rod, bearings, gasket kit, valves and tappets from them.They had to send the crank out for welding and grinding. Excellent work. Sorry, don't remember the cost.

SMITTY

Took my k241 to Baldwin Automotive great job runs like a top. Can't remember how much. On Baldwin north of Walton in Pontiac 248-335-1518