Sign in to follow this  
poodle

I need help on Transaxle

poodle

Hey there redsquare folks Im new to the forum and I'm looking for advice or constructive cridasism and and yes Im sorry but i can't spell. I am the proud owner of a 1962 wheel horse with a 8hp kholer and a three speed transaxle i belive its a model 802. I use the little brut to move my scraping trailer around the yard unfortunaly my transaxle is leting go.I was wondering if any one out there has rebuilt one of these badboys.If so how hard is it ,are there parts avalibe and if so were,or should i just consult my machinest friend.Also I found a Raider 10 8speed transaxle for sale it has the drive pully on the correct side for my aplication and it looks as thou it will bolt directly to what I have with little modifecation. Does any one know if its posible if so i would just love to take it a install the 8speed instead.If anyone can help it would be muck appreceated thanks for your time I hope to hear from some of you.

linen beige

:whistle: Poodle!

The first 8 hp model didn't show up 'til '64. Could be you have a '62 that has been repowered though. B)

If you can, post some pics so we can tell which model you do have. Someone on here can help you out for sure.

HorseFixer

:whistle: Poodle! B) are you sure its an 8 hp? whats the engine model #?

Cheers Duke

Kelly

To answer your question yes and no, the raider trans will fit, but you will have to do alittle work to make the hi-low shifter fit, the trans is not hard to repair but sometimes the cost is more than buying a used one, depending on what is wrong with it.

Post so pic's if you could.

Also where are you located, someone here may be able to help you out.

And Welcome

Curmudgeon

Ditto on what Kelly said, just want to add, before you go in, get the Mechanical Transmission Repair Manual part number 492-4004. About ten bucks if you buy the paper version, I think it's free for download at https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/portal/server.pt?

They are real easy to work on, but there are a couple of tips in the manual which can save some real aggravation.

Many tractors have been converted from 3 to 6 speed, mostly just need the shorter plate atop the tunnel to make room for the second shifter.

TT

"Full sized" round hood 6/8 speed conversions require one hole for the high - low range shifter to be drilled in the bottom of the under-seat toolbox. If the transaxle has a top mounted dipstick, you can install a socket head pipe plug and grind it flush with the transmission case. Oil can then be checked and filled through the plug on the left rear corner of the transmission. (just like the original 3 speed)

You'll also need a 4" diameter, 1/2" belt input pulley for the 5/8" shaft. (3 speeds use a 3/4" input shaft) The 1967 factory 6 speeds (867/1067/1267) are the only ones I know of that used a genuine WH pulley fitting that description, and they are close to impossible to find. I have seen a few conversions with the universal stamped steel pullies - just don't use the fractional hp aluminum pullies. The set screw location usually needs moved in the aftermarket pulley so it contacts the short input shaft in the correct location.

Curmudgeon

Oops, I was thinking straight short/long frame tractors, not about the 802 being a round hood with a different setup atop the transmission.

Once again TT came through!

Hope his head doesn't get too large for his hat.... B)

poodle

Thanks guys Ill do my best to get some pics of my little bad red monster posted. So if any one of you that are deff much more knowlageable can see if you reconize the model.But be warned so far all I'v had time to due is put a stack on it and paint the hood.It was a very amautre job!!To anwser kelly's post I'm located in good old Taxachussetts I got the tractor from a friend on Cape Cod who gave it to me.I'v had it for six moths before the untimely breakdown.

Duff

Thanks guys Ill do my best to get some pics of my little bad red monster posted. So if any one of you that are deff much more knowlageable can see if you reconize the model.But be warned so far all I'v had time to due is put a stack on it and paint the hood.It was a very amautre job!!To anwser kelly's post I'm located in good old Taxachussetts I got the tractor from a friend on Cape Cod who gave it to me.I'v had it for six moths before the untimely breakdown.

Where in MA? I'm just north of you.......

And :whistle:

Duff B)

poodle

Deerman72 Where in MA? I'm just north of you.......

I'm in Taunton i work in Plymouth and work with the friend that gave it to me. I have some pics on my computer of the little red beast but i cant't get them to load to post ?what I'm doing wrong I have know idea I'v been trying for hours B).I'll keep at it until I get what i want!!!! :whistle:

nylyon

Take a look here for help with posting pictures.

poodle

AND A GREAT BIG B) TO NYLYON

If it wasn't for him i have nooo idea how long it would have taken to get these pics up but heres a few

tractor2.jpg

tractor1.jpg

A Side View

tractor3.jpg

The bigest reason that i need to rebulid the 3

speed or win that bid on that 8speed man I really want that thing bad!!!

tractor4.jpg

I wish this one came out better but it's the tag on the engine it says it's model# K161 8 hp

tractor6.jpg

A engine side view

tractor7.jpg

engine top view

tractor5.jpg

engine front view

tractor8.jpg

I hope this helps some of you guys. If not tell me what I should snap a pic of for better info. Thanks again all of you guys for looking and the info it's been a huge help any so will be any thing eles you guys recomend I'm sure!!

PS: Like I said it was and is being done buy an amature

TT

You are the lucky owner of a 1961 701 ! ! ! ! !

Whatever you do, don't hack that one up! B)

sorekiwi

I wouldnt put an 8 speed on that tractor - it looks complete and unbutchered so far, I'd keep it origional.

Looks like the ball has come off your gear-stick. Undo the locknut and loosen the set-screw on the front of the boss that houses the stick. The ball will then come up out of the transmission. Its held onto the stick with a roll-pin (5/32 diameter I think?). One side of the ball has a smaller hole - that goes to the front, so the setscrew can locate it.

Fixing this will dramatically improve your shifting!

Also replace the rubber boot that keeps water out of the transmission. $6 from your Toro dealer, dont buy one for $10 + shipping off ebay.

As for the color of the oil, I'd drain it, refill it with a 50/50 mix of engine oil/kerosine, run it around for an hour or so, drain it again and refill with gear lube.

Total investment about $20 and it will probably go for years more...

linen beige

You are the lucky owner of a 1961 701 ! ! ! ! !

Whatever you do, don't hack that one up! :banghead:

Absolutely agree with TT.

DO NOT CUT THIS ONE UP

B):whistle:B)B)B)

Irrespective of the early, large RS models, this was the first front engine Wheel Horse, and the ONLY front engine to use the closed (no grill bars) hood.

The K-161 S on your tractor is a seven horsepower. The "S" on the tag may look a little like an eight. The S stands for "starter", as in electric starter/generator.

dieselhorse

Agree with all the above, fix the rear end, you have a very desireable model Wheel Horse that should be repaired and not modified. If you dont want to repair that rear end, i am sure we probably have a member or two that would swap ya a running horse to do your hauling and work. With the rear end repaired, that 701 should take care of business for many years to come. Good luck on your repair.

Curmudgeon

Can I make a slightly B) suggestion? Resize the pictures before posting. Even with DSL I had to wait, and once downloaded, scrolling was needed to view all of the picture.

Electro12WH

One more little thing. That exhaust looks awful heavy! Vibration may eventually cause it to break out of the engine block. It would be better to use a short pipe reaching up and then put a thin wall pipe on it. Also bracing it would help. I'm not knocking the appearance, though! It's a cool tractor!

oldandred

Poodle the 701 is the only tractor that uses the double belt on the engine and gen,starter.

Now having said that finding the cover is a little hard but can be found and may cost a bit more than single like some one said dont hack it up or change the engine the tranny can be fixed that tractor is real hard to fnd with the double pullys.

goood luck

oldandred

I forgot to ask what is the tranny doing ??? there hard to break

poodle

Hey guys I much Appreceate it when it comes to modedin it I never wanted to.I really wanted to keep it original i gust love the way the thing looks.The only reason I was thinking it was due to what happened to the transaxle.Now knowing that it is easly repairable I'm gona give it to old college try! Hey does it still count if i did'nt go to college B) Well I was only thinking of it because I'v never been much of a tranny guy engines no problem I'v done

engine swaps in my toys plenty of times.Speaking of witch were can I get rings for this engine? She starts every time but once shes hot don't shut her down till your done or your gona wait.I havent check the cylinder bore but I imagine a hit with a honing tool and a fresh set of rings is all it needs. Hey on the hood above the fly wheel theres a slot with two small hole next to it you can kinda see it in the side view was that stock or did some one do this after?

I forgot to ask what is the tranny doing ??? there hard to break

nothing really other than the stick pulling out like in the pic.

finding the cover is a little hard but can be found and may cost a bit more than single

do you mean for the fly wheel and gen starter or the drive belts to the trans because i have that one i just took it off to paint it but i don't have the one for the engine and starter.

That exhaust looks awful heavy!

it is and loud !! HeHeHe but I think it might get a normal muffler I'm kinda disturbing the neibors :whistle:

and for the pics sorry beginers mistake I'll see if i can't down size them

poodle

Yaaaa I Fixed the Transaxle Yeeee hooo it was just what Sorekiwi Said I fixed the ball and that did it

I have to B) to Sorekiwi he is the man with the fix

but the engine still needs to rebuilt the engine needs new rings.I havent check the cylinder bore I think a quick hit with a honing tool should do it.It starts every time but once its hot it's gota cool before she'll go again.Were can i get a set of rings for it I tried toro parts page.It just keep telling me it was a push mower ? I typed in the model # and the serial # thats on the tower asembely and had the same results.

TT

The K161-S / 28622E Kohler on your 701 is the early small bore 7hp engine. (2 7/8" bore vs. 2 15/16" bore on the newer 7's & all 8's)

You need to find a Kohler engines dealer in your area and order the parts from there. If you don't have a Kohler dealer nearby, you can order from PartsTree.com or any of the other online Kohler parts sites.

231424-S is the P/N for standard rings.

41-755-06-S is the P/N for the complete gasket set (no seals)

X-583-1-S is the front seal

X-583-2-S is the rear seal

Figure on paying around $55 - $65 for the above listed parts.

sorekiwi

Glad I could help...

poodle

You need to find a Kohler engines dealer in your area

what is the easiest way of loacating one. I have several small motor and lawnmower repair shops nearby should I just start there? or can I just go too say kohler.com type in my adress and find one?