Sign in to follow this  
Suburban 550

Anybody ever seen these

Suburban 550

On the 753 I got yesterday, there were a set of headlights (one was broken) and I was wanderin' if these were an optional kit sold through wheel horse back in 1963 or an aftermarket set that someone put on. For some strange reason or another they seem like they were made for it.

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

rydogg

They are the HL-22 light kit from 1961-62 I have a pair that I was thinking of putting on my 701, if you are interested in selling them let me know, one of mine is pretty chipped around the edges.

wheelhorse092.jpg

• Like 1

Suburban 550

Thanks! Like I said they looked like they were made for it and installed when the tractor was new by the looks of the paint on the hood underneath the lights.

AMC RULES

HL-22? How rare are those kits? :scratchead:

rydogg

I believe they are rarer than the HL-5 kit but not as desireable. In my opinion they are very cheaply made. Search the forum for HL-22 there are a few threads about them.

• Like 1

Ken B

I'd fix em up and put em back on the 753. Whoever bought that tractor new must have known they were going to be using it at night and ordered them new with it, pretty cool.

CasualObserver

Well, finding the kit on a tractor is pretty rare... which I've always found odd since they're on the price lists through 1964. (I don't think the HL-5 kit that everyone is goo-goo for came out until later in the 1964 model year.)

One member (not me) even has an NOS one though. Probably the only one. I'll let him remain nameless, but here are the pictures posted many years back.

a26877e6.jpg

Good part was, it came with the instruction sheet.

bd156b95.jpg

VinsRJ

Well, finding the kit on a tractor is pretty rare... which I've always found odd since they're on the price lists through 1964. (I don't think the HL-5 kit that everyone is goo-goo for came out until later in the 1964 model year.)

One member (not me) even has an NOS one though. Probably the only one. I'll let him remain nameless, but here are the pictures posted many years back.

a26877e6.jpg

bd156b95.jpg

We may know the same individual... but I know of a NOS set too.

stevebo

I had an nos set (or may have been installed for a short period of time) that I sold to another member here. So everyone knows, these are all plastic (even the clear lenses).

• Like 1

Butch

I had an nos set (or may have been installed for a short period of time) that I sold to another member here. So everyone knows, these are all plastic (even the clear lenses).

The lens and bodies are plastic? That sucks. You can't even send them out for rechroming. I guess you could paint them the color of the tractor.

stevebo

yes all plasitc

CasualObserver

I don't know since I've never had my hands on a set.... but aren't they also the same as the light buckets in the 953/1054?.... just mounted to different brackets?

Kelly

I think they are the same as the 953 they used there own lights the 1054 is not the same but will fit in the 953.

Suburban 550

a26877e6.jpg

bd156b95.jpg

I know one thing Jason, that is definetly the mounting bracket for the light switch mounted under the gas tank on mine. When I brought it home I was wondering where you turned the lights on until I followed the wires back. Very cheaply made lights being all plastic but for some strange reason or the other they really look good on the tractor. One light was broken completely off and was nowhere to be found. Wish I could find another set.

Racinbob

I had an 854 up north that I restored. When I found it lights were installed but they weren't like these. A steel rod, about 5/8", was bolted to the frame. It was almost a V shape but the bottom was the width of the frame. They rose up 14-16" and lights were bolted to them via holes in the ends of the rod. I thought they were a factory option but I've never seen a kit like it again. They looked and worked great. Sorry, no pics. Any insight?

Would that happen to be the HL-5 kit?

rydogg

Yes, that is the HL-5 kit

Racinbob

Thanks rydogg. I was just hetting ready to post that I did finally find them here.

Hammerhead
bth_100_9014.jpgbth_002-2.jpgHere's a few of mine!! KJ