Sign in to follow this  
953 nut

GT 14 has no brakes

953 nut

Just picked up a GT14 which is my first Hydro, it has no brakes and don't know where to start. Any advice would be welcomed.

sorekiwi

Welcome to Red Square.

A hydro doesnt have brakes.

The brake pedal on the tractor moves the drive linkage back to neutral (so the transmission does the braking for you).

KC9KAS

:WRS: When you depress the pedal, the hydro lever is moved to the neutral position, thus stopping forward (or reverse) motion and stopping the tractor.

can whlvr

well since noone has chimed in ill try,early hydro models including my 1975c160 auto didnt have a brake like an 8 speed,(my 1990 312 does)they rely on the hydro to do this by pulling back on the stick,towards reverse,

gd.pudge

The gt 14 has no brakes per say. as its a hydrostatic transmission. It uses dynamic braking from the hydrostatic transmission for stopping but there is a parking brake feature when you pull up the belt disengage lever that engages a parking pawl inside the transmission but usually the pawl is broken and are nonfunctional. As that's my experience anyway

meadowfield

agree, pawl is usually none existent.

Brakes are engaged by going to neutral and on a steep slope perhaps even a little into reverse territory! depending on the condition of the hydo unit it may lock the wheel solids in neutral, creep or roll dead easy :confusion-confused:

953 nut

Thanks for all the prompt replys, I found and purchased a manual for the GT14 on ebay to learn more, right now mine will kick into mid position when you hit the brakes and will stop with a little pull back on the stick, must need an adjustment. My parking brake is not working and I guess the parking pawl seems to be a problem on these hydro units. Wonder if anyone makes a replacement part.

Thanks again. :)

meadowfield

Seriously doubt you'll get a replacement, but they are relatively easy to repair with a welder and some patience...

Look for my gt14 thread, I did a tear down fix and rebuild on my tranny.

Mark