Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Sandy has my attention

Sparky

I was testing my NEW GENERATOR

Its about time...whew, talk about cutting it close. You like it?

Mike.........

nylyon

OMG I LOVE IT! Can't believe I didn't do this sooner. I have only one flaw.... Have to find cover so it can run in the rain....

Butch

Been raining steady for awhile now. Strong breeze. No wind gusts yet. Parked all 5 vehicles near what I think are the healthiest trees. There is'nt a place to park where there are no trees. We're a little nervous of the 60+ mph winds yet to come. Landfall is predicted to be centered in our back yard! That sucks. Hopefully we'll have mail tomorrow because my WH light switch is in. Then I can finish my electrical work. Is'nt anything I can do about the weather but I can do something with the tractor.

Coadster32

Rainy and a bit winder here this morning. (still early). They called off work for today, so I'm voulenteering at the local shelter untill about 11am. School was cancelled for today and tomorrow. Hope things go well, alot of old trees around our neighborhood.

• Like 1

Kelly

Every one be safe, and best wishes to you all, I'm in MI. and they say we are going to get rain/snow and 50mph winds from this storm.

nylyon

Watching the news and it's all Sandy all the time. From the news reports, New York City has essentially shut down. I don't know of any schools open anywhere around here, trains have been stopped and a lot of shops are just plain closed. At this point it's not doing anything here, but there's just so many warnings that this will be the worst storm ever. I have a couple trees that concern me a little, only one of them has the potential of hitting something.

They're saying that the worst will be 5:00pm tonight until 5:00am tomorrow. This thing sure is getting a lot of air time, I hope they're wrong.

WheelHorseSteve

OMG I LOVE IT! Can't believe I didn't do this sooner. I have only one flaw.... Have to find cover so it can run in the rain....

A half piece of plywood on top of it with a rock or cider block works well. Also, a plastic folding table above it... that's what I'm going to use this time around. Best to keep the electronic side (w/ outlets) dry.

nylyon

Connecticut guys!

Putnam County Officials announced that the State of Connecticut closed traffic at 11 a.m. on Interstate 84 (I84) for all tractor trailers, box trucks, house trailers, etc. At 1:00 pm I-84 will be closed at the Connecticut border for all non-essential vehicles.

Sparky

Connecticut guys!

Putnam County Officials announced that the State of Connecticut closed traffic at 11 a.m. on Interstate 84 (I84) for all tractor trailers, box trucks, house trailers, etc. At 1:00 pm I-84 will be closed at the Connecticut border for all non-essential vehicles.

Yep, heard that on the radio so I bailed out of work at 11am. I'll be home tomorrow as well I'm sure.

Mike........

Butch

This storm sure is slow. It's dumped a ton of rain. Based on my pool cover I'd say 3 or 4 inches. Plus there is much more rain to come. They're estimating the storm to hit land between 10 PM and 2 AM tonight. The storm is packing 85 mph winds. But we haven't got the high winds yet. Take a look at a radar map. This storm is huge. The islands are all under water and many roads on the mainland are under water. We just had a full moon which makes the flooding worse. They said the flooding would last through the next 5 high tides. You get 2 high tides a day. The last 38 miles of the Garden State Parkway are closed because of flooding.

whfan74

Hang in there everyone! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Still hoping things will move unexpectedly back out to sea. Please keep us updated if at all possible.

nylyon

So far the generator is working GREAT! Haven't had any extended outages!

varosd

So far, wind and rain. We live on a ridge line so lots of leaves are blowing sideways!

Ken B

It is pretty darn windy here in Danbury CT. I was out working in my garage when I heard this odd noise out in the back yard. I guess that is what it sounds like when your 12x20 tent becomes a kite. It blew about 50 ft into the woods. It tore all the anchors out of the ground. She's junk now. I crammed the 520 and C-161 in my garage, I couldn't just let em sit there naked.. Lots of big oak trees in my yard....

Anglo Traction

We're fully aware in the UK of your predicament/risks with that Storm and we're watching in. Take care of yourselves and family (and your W'horses) Nearly everything else is replaceable. Take care.

Regards to all.

rmaynard

Lots of big oak trees in my yard....

Ken, I feel for you. I have about 1-1/2 acres of up to 80 ft oaks. We are about 150 miles inland from the projected impact area. We already have had 4 inches of rain since about 11:00 am, winds are gusting to about 35 mph, and the real storm isn't even here yet. Two of my tractors are outside today, but they are covered with tarps that are lashed to the tractors. Even if they blow off, they are Wheel Horses, and they will survive the wind and rain. Its the falling branches that worry me the most.

stevebo

Well over the past few days I have been getting everything around the yard cleaned up and secured. I am in the middle of a lower floor remodel including the kitchen. All old cabinets and everyother peice of construction debris as out on the back deck. While cleaning this up my rear lower tooth that I had a root canal done on last year was killing me. Several advil and to deal with the pain. Wen to my dentist @8am this morning and the exray showed a crack in the tooth and split the nerve. So...... I had it removed by an oral surgeon around 10am. I am now back at the house hunkered down eating ice cream and chicken soup... Hope we all stay safe from the storm.

I have an extra L14-30 twist lock male connector as the one I needed was an L14-20 which cousin Todd hooked me up with! I am ready for the power to go out as well.

nylyon

The wind has really picked up in the past hour. Just read that the Tapan Zee bridge has been shutdown both ways. For those not in the area, the Tapan Zee is a 3 mile long bridge which crosses the Hudson river north of NYC. It's a major bridge for the area.

Sparky

Just read that the Tapan Zee bridge has been shutdown both ways. For those not in the area, the Tapan Zee is a 3 mile long bridge which crosses the Hudson river north of NYC.

Hope its opened by late June next year.....the Tapan Zee is my route to the WH show and back :ychain: .

I dont know why but we still have power here.....YeeHaa!!! (probably just jinxed myself).

Mike..........

Coadster32

Lots of wind hear on the long island sound coast line. Some tree breanches down, and lights flickering pretty often. I'm thinkin it's just a matter of time. Voulenteered at the local shelter this mrning for 6hours. About 60 people there this morning, but expecting lots more later today. Be safe everyone. Highways were shut down this afternoon, as were all the airports, bus route and railways. Manditory evecuations along the beach houses as well. Flooding is already there, as the low tide isn't really receeding from the wind. Next high tide around mid-night should be a doozie.

mattd860

The wind is really picking up now. We've been without power since 4:15pm and the storm hasn't even fully arrived. I got the generator running now to make some dinner, cycle the wood boiler which likes to overheat when the circulator pumps are off, and of course type this message :).

Hope everyone else is safe and sound!

sorekiwi

My hopes and best wishes are with all you guys out there. Even in Ohio the weather is filthy already. Stay safe!

squonk

Getting windy. Power has blinked twice. My barometer is down to 29.32 "hg. I have lived here since 88 and have lost power for maybe a grand total of 5 hours and 4 of those was from a drunk hitting a pole. Thought of getting a :wh: jenny just because the're cool and no motor to maintain and sit with gas in it. Maybe at next year's show. My house has been hit by lightning but :wh: doesn't offer a lightning suppression kit. :hide:

Suburban 550

Be safe guys. The wind and the rain is really bad here. Really worried about the big trees with the wind.I don't want to have to call the insurance company again for another tree down on my house or camper.

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Kelly

I had a thought for you guys with the gen. running in the next few days, don't forget to change the oil in the unit, I change mine everyday, after running for 24 hours, I check it at every tank of gas, then change it during the day so it's easier to see, I have 2 generators so I can let the big one cool off to change the oil, and let the little one keep the heat or lights on, I store a few qts of oil with the gen. so I have it when it's time, good luck to all you guys be safe.