Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

rotary broom

BairleaFarm

or a sidewalk sweeper of one heck of a blower. Anyone ever try to make anything like this?

HorseFixer

Sounds like it would be a great project. I was allways thinking about taking one of the walk behind BILLY GOATS and like attatching it to the front end of one of my horses. I think that would be a neat project!

Duke

hodge

Or, how about a pto winch run off the pto? chain that horse to a tree, and winch fallen trees, stuck murray mowers (notice I didn't call them tractors), etc...

TT

SWEEPSTER has made rotary broom attachments for garden tractors for years. (so have a few other companies)

As far as winches go, one of our members (Mith) had made one using a transaxle from a riding mower. I am pretty sure Ian (Stigian) has it now.

KyBlue

Ive spent a fair amount of time on this one.. found most of the parts I need... yet another reason why I need hydraulics on my B

Curmudgeon

1974 attachment guide, 16th one down...............

attachmentguide.jpg

BairleaFarm

yet another reason why I need hydraulics on my B

you know your b would be a great partial trade for my C160 B)

KyBlue

Uh no thanks B) Ill Keep My B.... Ill pick me up another one soon enough...

WheelHorse_of_course

See this post for a picture of the broom - looks pretty cool.

B)

MaineDad

SWEEPSTER has made rotary broom attachments for garden tractors for years. (so have a few other companies)

As far as winches go, one of our members (Mith) had made one using a transaxle from a riding mower. I am pretty sure Ian (Stigian) has it now.

Terry,

Which model Sweepster fits a WH?

Nick

The sweepster brooms are some heavy units. The local hospital used them on some older 520H for years to do snow removal. They couldnt let it get bad at a Hospital so as soon as the snow started I think they hit the sidewalks with the brooms. I guess they do a real good job cleaning down to the concrete. If i remember right they had electric actuators for angle control adding to the weight. They sold out the Horses and I think they now have JD and Kubota units around the place. B)

Scott, I might just have a brand new sweepster frame around. If you want to build a sweeper ya might just be able to talk me out of it, unless I come up with another plan for it first. :whistle:

TT

Terry,

Which model Sweepster fits a WH?

A quick phone call to Sweepster resulted in a "we no longer have them for Wheel Horses" answer. B)

Here's an old page from my "big red book" though:

sweepster.jpg

KyBlue

Nick That'd be awesome!! Have to work out a price with ya so long as it doesnt include a first born (thou you might have better luck finding her!) - gimme a excuse to venture up into Ohio

Nick

Whoa now, this is sounding like ive got an ebay rare NOS NLA part. B)

This is what the frame looks like on the sweeper.

sweepster002.jpg

th_sweepster005.jpg

th_sweepster006.jpg

KyBlue

The sweepster brooms are some heavy units. The local hospital used them on some older 520H for years to do snow removal. They couldnt let it get bad at a Hospital so as soon as the snow started I think they hit the sidewalks with the brooms. I guess they do a real good job cleaning down to the concrete. If i remember right they had electric actuators for angle control adding to the weight. They sold out the Horses and I think they now have JD and Kubota units around the place. B)

Scott, I might just have a brand new sweepster frame around. If you want to build a sweeper ya might just be able to talk me out of it, unless I come up with another plan for it first. :whistle:

If you goto Bobcats Website, they have some demo videos of their Rotary Sweepers. From the looks of it...They do GREAT on snow..

Edit: That frame looks pretty Simple - Ultra Rare ... I see First borns and a couple virgins included in the price eh?

CasualObserver

Up here in Rochester, MN... that's what the Mayo Clinic and City of Rochester use for cleaning all the sidewalks downtown and around the clinic in the winter. They use theirs with Steiners and Ventracs though. B)

MaineDad

A sweeper like that would come in handy removing all the dang sand from the winter snow plow on the edge of my front lawn B)

WHwest8597

The Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh uses a rotary broom on a Wheel Horse to keep the side walks clean.

Duff

The college where I work (300 acre campus) uses compact tractor mounted rotary brooms for most of their lawn raking both spring (sand and dead stuff) and fall (leaves), and for most of the sidewalk clearing in the winter except when we get really heavy, wet snowfalls.

Duff B)

Stigian

Your right Terry, i do have it now B)

Though much to my shame i havnt done anything with it yet.

BairleaFarm

The Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh uses a rotary broom on a Wheel Horse to keep the side walks clean.

If you live near them see if you can get us a picture.

Rideawaysenior

I've got one that was given to me a while back by a buddy of mine. I had it at the show this year mounted on a 312-H. If you need pictures of how it is mounted, or the drive system, please email me and I'll get some off to you. Although Sweepster does not make the machines for WH anymore, you can still get the brushes. I have used mine to thatch my yard and sweep hard pack snow off the drive. It works GREAT. Be prepared to get dirty though if you use it for anything other then snow.

Jack

BairleaFarm

Hey Jack post some pics int he attachments section for us. B) be sure and get good angles

KyBlue

Thats a Good lookin sweeper too, Would still like to see some good close up shots of the drive setup. -