Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

New toy for us

Coadster32

While watching alot of fast-n-loud, count's customs, and texas car wars recently, I said to the wife.."why can't I find a nice older cool looking car to buy for cheap". She said...go get one. Well needless to say, I didn't sleep much that night. We decided to sell off the motorcycle, and two snowmobiles to help counter the cost. (Bike is now sold, but snowmobiles are for sale...hint,hint). Our kids are young, and the wife and I hardly get out together on them anyhow. The thought process is to go out as a family now. Perhaps some car shows, etc. Turns out alot of people in my shoes seem to be thinking the same thing. Here's some pics for you all.

Picture002-9.jpg

Picture005-5.jpg

Picture004-6.jpg

Picture008-5.jpg

It's a 1979 Camaro Berlinetta...T-tops. It was just painted in may of this year. All new interior, weatherstripping, chrome bezels, steering wheel, 3.5" cowl induction hood, body panels including the wheel wells (no stuff-n-buff going on), and powder coated alum alloys. It has a 350 under the hood with a 383 keith black stroker kit in it, .520 comp cam with roller rockers, holley 780 double pump carb, full MSD ignition including the distributor, dynatec headers, and magnaflow exhaust. It drives thru a 3 speed turbo 400 tranny with a B&M ratchet shifter, (manual valve body setup...I think), with a 3200 stall converter. New driveshaft to a set of...5:12 posi gears in the rear, (10 bolt cover though). Easily lights them up just about anytime you want. This was a build one of the local mechanics was working on when his life got turned up-side down, and needed to part ways. He got the motor-trans como off another guy, and just dropped it into the body/chasis he was working on. Was dyno'd at 520hp, 560 torque at the flywheel.

There's some things I want to definatly change for sure on it. The 5:12s gotta go, fun around town, but screamer on the highway. The carb is way oversized, I'm thinking a 650 street avenger or the such, single pump deal. Serpentine belt for the front, as I plan on putting in A/C cuz the headers are pretty hot.

My wife's father had a camaro when she was a kid, so she's pretty tickled with the car. Kids like it, and wer're pretty eager for the spring to hit. Meanwhile, this winter hopefully will sell off the sleds, and get cracking on the car. Didn't really want to step into a project type car, but thought for the price and what was out there, we did ok.

• Like 3

fireman

Chris that is SSSWWWWEEEEETTTTT!!!!!

SALTYWRIGHT

VERY NICE CHRIS.

AMC RULES

Nice bowtie. :thumbs:

wallfish

Now you're haul'n ass instead of horses.

c161rat

stevasaurus

That is so cool, I can't hardly stand it. :) Great color, great car, great ride WOW...not good for climbing trees though. :bow-blue: Just be safe in that...it is like having a Vet...everyone knows it is fast, don't have to prove it. :)

squonk

it is like having a Vet...everyone knows it is fast,

Vette's are fast??? :confusion-scratchheadblue: :confusion-scratchheadblue: icon_crazy.gif

post-2380-0-58173300-1351114089.jpg

Jake Kuhn

Nice ride!

Sparky

Beautiful new ride Chris!! I sold my 86 IROC this summer and realy miss it.

Mike.............

PS...does it have a trailer hitch :eusa-whistle: ?

Ken B

Looks real sweet and it looks like the previous owner did nice work!

roscoemi

Stay in the 750 cfm cfm vacuum secondary range and it should be enough. Gear for the torque peak at your desired cruising speed and the mileage will be there. Had a '56 chevy with a 350 and 280 magnum cam with a 750 holley and 3.55 gears that would do 19mpg all day at 70 mph.

Ken B

For a new gear ratio I'd keep it in the 3.73 - 4.11 range with the cam that is in that car. Ya don't want it to be a dog off the line, that ain't fun! I also agree, a 750 carb will work great with what you have.

Coadster32

Thanks for the compliments guys. :thanks: We're pretty excited about it, and hoping it will retain it's value as the years pass. I think in the next 10 years or so, the mid-late 70's cars will be pretty desireable. It'll be garage kept as long as I own it. :beer:

Planning on doing the gears next winter, and focusing in on some of the other stuff now. (Can't do it all up front). Looks like around 3:23-3:55 would fit the bill though. Ken, I'd love to stay around 3:73, but would want an overdrive geared tranny to go with it. Maybe by next winter I could land one or something.

In doing some research and nerd calculations, it looks like I'd be drawing 648 cfm @ 6500rpm..figuring 90% efficiency. That's where the redline is set right now thru the MSD box. I'm certain the motor can do more, but I'm not really interested in blowing it up. Looking at a Holley 650 with vacuum 2ndarys. With a newer carb, also won't have to worry about blowing out the power valves if she backfires. The Holley website says if anything, go smaller, not bigger with a carb cfm rating...You might lose a bit on the top end, but everywhere else will be more reliable, and most likely a bit more responsive. IMHO, it all depends on the tuner, and driver. Trying to do a "set it and forget it" scenario, rather than constant peak performance and have to mess with the carb 4-5 times a year.

That chevette pic cracked me up!! :ROTF:

You're right Steve, nothing to prove.

wallfish

UUUHM, What's the point of having a Hot Rod if you don't Hot Rod it? IMO You need to prove it hauls ass once in a while or what's the point. Obviously not with the kids on board but I don't see how you can resist the urge to light'er up and be a little dangerous once in a while.

• Like 1

Herbl

Or you can go the way I did for my ZZ383 engine with a dual quad setup, it works flawlessly....post-1693-0-79093900-1351194596.jpg

• Like 2

c161rat

Chris,

Try to resist the urge to grow a mullet while owning that Camaro...or as we like to call them around these parts a "Camaro crash helmet"............Feel free to add any other Mullet references you may have.......LOL.....just messing!!!!! I love the Camaro!!!!!!!!! Someone has to start preserving the 70's cars!!!!!!!!Enjoy it and drive it like you stole it!!!!!!

roscoemi

Speaking from a somwhat hard learning curve with a smaller cube motor, the 750 vac secondary works better. A bit more forgiveness in the tune, and if tuned properly backfires are a non-issue. After setting mine up I ran it 5 years before I sold it and never touched it. Responsive on the low end and had the top end to keep pullin. Just my experience. Either way enjoy it and roast um when you can.

Coadster32

UUUHM, What's the point of having a Hot Rod if you don't Hot Rod it? IMO You need to prove it hauls ass once in a while or what's the point. Obviously not with the kids on board but I don't see how you can resist the urge to light'er up and be a little dangerous once in a while.

Absolutely right...so far haven't resisted one bit yet, (still new to me). I lit them up once with the kids and wife in the car, the kids actually egged me on. The wife was ear to ear grin, the kids...not so much. Definatly fun to drive like a :ph34r: .

Herbl...that thing looks amazing!! :bow-blue: Seems like I could have my dinner off of it. Not certain if mines going to be that clean...yet.

I am do for a haircut....(perhaps I'll wait a little longer.)

• Like 1

Herbl

Not a problem, I have that in my 68 Chevelle. The engine is GM's ZZ383, has fastburn heads and roller hydrolic cam. The carb setup is 2 - 500cfm from Edelbrock and they work very well, in fact I had a 750 cfm Demon and every once in a while when I punched it it bogged and I'd mess with again and it worked for a while then it would do it again, so I certainly understand about constant messing with the carb, since install I've haven't gone back to the carb setup and it hasn't given a problem. Not to take this and change this topic but if you wish I can attach a photo of the Chevelle but I do realize this is about your car..... Burnem if you gotem......

Coadster32

Not to take this and change this topic but if you wish I can attach a photo of the Chevelle but I do realize this is about your car..... Burnem if you gotem......

:wwp: Is the ZZ383 a GM factory deal, or an altered aftermarket setup?

Zeek

That is a nice a$$ car!!! :woohoo:

Herbl

Coadster32, the ZZ383 is a performance create engine that you can purchase from GM dealers or other auto equipment companiew (Summit/Jegs). The way it ships is without carb/starter/water pump/Dist. It's rated 425hp the way it ships, but certainly you can add to that as they have move goodies to add to the engine as a higher lift cam and higher ratio roller rockers, etc.... I hope that helps anwser your question, if not just ask...

Herb

Coadster32

Thanks Herb, just wondering.