1maidenfan

Rear weight bracket for steel weights

1maidenfan

I wanted to add some weight to the wheels on my D160 for traction the winter, will be adding chains also, so I took some measurements and cut some pieces of steel and started fabricating. This is what I came up with.Will hold up to 65# on each side and only sticks out as for as the snow blower is wide. Just something I threw together tonight. Seems to work.

Hopefully I wont be snagging anything?

post-4490-0-77521900-1351041994_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-03797200-1351042027_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-03622200-1351042042_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-57997400-1351042070_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-12628100-1351042086_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-50662400-1351042106_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-46504200-1351042126_thumb.jp

post-4490-0-36492700-1351042149_thumb.jp

• Like 7

HorseFixer

:notworthy: A guy after the Dukes Heart, by adding weight the proper way to a tractor by adding it to the rim instead of the AXEL putting undo stress on the axel bearings! You should run for President! :USA:

1maidenfan

:notworthy: A guy after the Dukes Heart, by adding weight the proper way to a tractor by adding it to the rim instead of the AXEL putting undo stress on the axel bearings! You should run for President! :USA:

PRESIDENT.. :techie-eureka: .. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ...well I guess I couldnt do any worse :hide::confusion-shrug: :ychain:

• Like 3

madtrac

nice job, i need welding skills,lol

CRE1992

But Sir Duke,

If you have a bagger on the back of a 520 it probably weights close to 50lbs, then when you have 50lbs of grass in each bag, it really is no different if you add 150 to the back of the machine. Also these machines are tough enough that adding say 150lbs to the back shouldn't much matter much as there are owners who weigh up to 300lbs on these machines... Though you are counter-levering weight over the back wheels making the front lighter.

Not to mention, these machines are easy enough to work on that it shouldn't matter much whether you have to replace the bearings and seals say every 10-15 plus years...

For those who have not thought much of it, Duke is correct... the weight of the tractor pushes down on the inside of the wheels, causing the axle shafts inside to press downward, with the addition of the weight on the outside of the wheels causes it to press upward, though it helps to somewhat counteract the force of the tractor's weight making it more balanced, though not perfect.

-Charles

1maidenfan

nice job, i need welding skills,lol

Practice, practice, practice...it really works and is a lot of fun.

Doesnt take much to get started.

CasualObserver

For those who have not thought much of it, Duke is correct... the weight of the tractor pushes down on the inside of the wheels, causing the axle shafts inside to press downward, with the addition of the weight on the outside of the wheels causes it to press upward, though it helps to somewhat counteract the force of the tractor's weight making it more balanced, though not perfect.

Not quite right. Nothing is pressing upward. If that were happening it wouldn't be weight adding traction! What's happening is that your wheel weight is in direct contact with the ground already through contact with the wheel/tire. So there's no additional down-force on the wheel bearings. (there is additional force added front to back though... you can't add weight and not have it be harder to push forward and backward!)

Really nice job on the brackets maidenfan.... those are some cool custom pieces. I bet you'd sell a couple if you made some more!

• Like 3

1maidenfan

Not quite right. Nothing is pressing upward. If that were happening it wouldn't be weight adding traction! What's happening is that your wheel weight is in direct contact with the ground already through contact with the wheel/tire. So there's no additional down-force on the wheel bearings. (there is additional force added front to back though... you can't add weight and not have it be harder to push forward and backward!)

Really nice job on the brackets maidenfan.... those are some cool custom pieces. I bet you'd sell a couple if you made some more!

Maybe I will make up a couple sets ( 15" and 12" rims ) and donate them to Scott for the next meet n greet. :techie-eureka: Not much into selling my creations but donating to a good cause is definatly worth doing. :bow-blue: Thing is though,you have to have the weights to use them.

Thanks for the compliments :happy-jumpeveryone:

Don1977

Way over designed, but your adding weight that bracket is around 25 Lbs. with out the bar bell weights. I tend to over design every thing I build. Looks good.

CRE1992

Actually it is. Because of gravity more weight does increase the traction. What I am referring to is the internal axle shaft pressing upward do to the face that the weight on the outside of the wheel makes it want to fall away from the tractor.

roscoemi

Sorry Casualobserver, but if you add weight to a hitch bolted to the rear axle, it must be transfered to the wheels via the bearings and axle shaft. The housing presses down and the axle shaft resists and pushes up causing upward pressure on the wheel bearing. Wheel weights have no effect on bearings.

CasualObserver

Exactly what I said. When you add weight to the tractor you increase the down force. But i stand behind my statement that nothing is pushing up. Pushing down harder on something will stress the opposing force's top side, but that's not pushing up.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Nice looking set up you have there.

I tend to "over-build" too....My wife and kids call me "Over-Kill Ken".....But, I don't have to repair/replace most of the items I build either, so there!

roscoemi

Jason, I appoligize. We are saying the same thing. I misunderstood what was said in the post I responded to.

can whlvr

very ingenious use of gym weights,probally have to borrow that idea

floor-it

Actually, if the weight is added inside the wheel rim and is added exactly at the center of gravity (CG) then there will be no added force to the wheel bearings. However, it is very difficult to add weight exactly at the CG, so some if the weight is then addplied across a distance from the center of gravity and this weight implies a force X distance from the CG to the hub bearings.

Think of adding the weight outboard of the wheel rim by a great distance of 5 feet, this will place a force on the wheel bearing that could tip over the tractor if it were like 100 lbs force X distance of 5 feet =500lb-ft of torque across the hub bearing.

Gary

• Like 2

HorseFixer

Actually, if the weight is added inside the wheel rim and is added exactly at the center of gravity (CG) then there will be no added force to the wheel bearings. However, it is very difficult to add weight exactly at the CG, so some if the weight is then addplied across a distance from the center of gravity and this weight implies a force X distance from the CG to the hub bearings.

Think of adding the weight outboard of the wheel rim by a great distance of 5 feet, this will place a force on the wheel bearing that could tip over the tractor if it were like 100 lbs force X distance of 5 feet =500lb-ft of torque across the hub bearing.

Gary

I hear what your saying but being the weight is inside and on the rim and the top and bottom of the rim it is very close to being balanced and if there is any stress it is negligable and puts miniscule pressure on the bearings. I dont have a masters in Engineering :eusa-think: But I do have a good deal of schooling in hard knocks :tools-wrench: and that has earned me a PHD :) and I keep it out in the shed with the rest of my lawn tools. It Sure comes in handy occasionally :handgestures-thumbupright: Yeah I sure do love that Post Hole Digger! :eusa-whistle:

leeave96

I've got a rear weight bracket with small suit case weights - never used it, but thinking about it on one of my 520H tractors. The goal here is to rid the rear wheels of weights and put the chrome hub caps back on.

Now - if I were to loose 75 lbs off my fat arse, could I then add that weight back with the rear weight brackets and not cause any damage?

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't resist - won't happen again...

Back to lurking,

Bill

• Like 3

Hydro

So I have rear wheel weights, my back tires are loaded but I'm on the South side of 300lbs . :confusion-confused: :confusion-confused: :confusion-confused:

Great job on the design

Edited by Hydro

floor-it

Hello Horsefixer,

Your reply to my answer to the question appears to be rather coarse. You start by agreeing, but go on in the same sentence to re-describe my answer in a more general way. You use the term "Balanced" which would describe the effect of the weights relative to the center of gravity of the wheel and tire when rotating. This is Ok and refers to the Dynamics of the added weight when in motion, usually measured relative to one axis like the center of the hub or axle shaft. When measured relative to one axis (axis of shaft) on a balancing machine the CG is assumed to be at this axis.

We also use Statics to determine the effect of the added weight on different parts of the tractor like the hub bearings at rest, or when the tractor is not moving. This is a simpler case and is easy to understand because any weight that is added outside of the CG will always place this force on the bearing. This is why I included the 2nd example of adding weight 5 feet outside of the CG, because one can observe this in their own garage.

I will restate my original answer but add in my opinion of the weights that were added.

"Actually, if the weight is added inside the wheel rim and is added exactly at the center of gravity (CG) then there will be no added force to the wheel bearings."

Looking at the photos of the added weight it appears that the majority of the added weight is near the Centroid (CG) of the wheel and tire, therefore the added weight is not placing a large force on the wheel bearing at rest. Also, the weights appear to be symetrical in shape, therefore the wheel, tire and added weight is probably somewhat balanced and will not place very much dynamic force on the bearing when driven. This can be verified by having the whole assembly balanced on a machine.

Good job 1maidenfan,

Horsefixer, I hope you can accept my technical answer, if not please reference an ME book on "Statics".

Gary

• Like 3

HorseFixer

Horsefixer, I hope you can accept my technical answer, if not please reference an ME book on "Statics".

Gary

Gary, Sounds good to me! :handgestures-thumbupright: When I Sail with Captain Morgan tonight, :eek: and polish off a Fifth and dust a zillion brain cells I dont think I will be refrencing a ME Book on "Statics" :eusa-whistle: Ill prolly be worring more about how Im gonna get up outta my reciliner and drag my azz to my bed! :USA: Cheers :beer: ~Duke

floor-it

Great News Horsfixer, (Duke)

I will do the same, but can't polish off that much Wiskey. Our bar is more for "Show" and we don't drink that much anymore. Although we drink wine with dinner about 4 nights a week. Red wine goes very well with saucey Italian food and my wife cooks a lot of this food.

This custom wheel weight post was especially interesting to me, since I have about 100kgs of bar bell weights and neither me or my son lift weights now.

I do have one set of Wheel Horse weights on the 312H and they are really good for plowing snow. But I think that I will add weight to the 518H so that I can compensate for the unbalance weight of the 1 stage snow blower.

By the way, I have read many of your posts and enjoyed the videos you have regarding the "Snow Chucker" and the Onan rebuild. You have certainly displayed lots of creativity and Too bad Wheel Horse was bought by Toro and then was later discontinued as a line of tractors, as you would have been very high on their list of designers and concept development type techs. This could have been a very satisfying part time job or even full time job for you. We can only hope that someone does a startup company and builds a few of the WH Workers from the late 80's and early 90's.

I have a very new JD X575 (180 hours) and the wheel horse cuts the lawn better! I blame it on the overly thick cutting blades as they seem to thrask the grass, tearing it as opposed to cutting the grass. I bought the JD X575 for the power steering and 4WD and that part works well, however there is no tractor like a Wheel Horse 300, 400 or 500 series with all the attachments.

Happy Holidays,

Gary

• Like 1

midnight rambler

thats the only way to do it, i should make them this winter while in laid off, anybody looking for the mount? oh by the way i have 20 plus years in the welding field

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Thanks Gary! :handgestures-thumbupright: But I would have prolly been fired by Toro for taking so long to finish a project :hilarious: And for drinking Apple Juice! :eusa-whistle:

Have a great Holliday Season.

Cheers :beer: ~Duke