Jake Kuhn

doing a partial resto on my 57 rj

RedRanger

hi, Jake, nice work! if I ever restore my rj like this, it will be parked in the living room, never see sun again!!

what kind of plating or coating did you use on all that hardware? and where do you get it done? it really looks good!

thanks - newt

Same question here.  What does a bag of parts like that cost to get coated?

Where can I get it done?

Looks great.

Jake Kuhn

If I get more done, it will not most likely be at the same place, there prices are very high, it is just a local place around a half hr from me. They get $100 minimum for an order, and depending on the size of the parts will split them up into different orders. The parts also have to be prepped before plating which meant beadblasting every part until all rust/dirt was removed This is just yellow zinc plating, very happy with the way it turned out...just hope I can find a place that does it more affordable, this one ended up gettting run in 2 seperate batches, which I did not know about until after they did it. 

RedRanger

If I get more done, it will not most likely be at the same place, there prices are very high, it is just a local place around a half hr from me. They get $100 minimum for an order, and depending on the size of the parts will split them up into different orders. The parts also have to be prepped before plating which meant beadblasting every part until all rust/dirt was removed This is just yellow zinc plating, very happy with the way it turned out...just hope I can find a place that does it more affordable, this one ended up gettting run in 2 seperate batches, which I did not know about until after they did it. 

So did you have to prep them before the plater took them or was the blasting and prep part of their pricing?

bmsgaffer

Also on the plating, have you ever tried using a vibrator/tumbler for parts like that?

I have considered getting one (dont have the room or resources for a blast cabinet) for taking rust off of small parts but have seen mixed reviews...

Jake Kuhn

Prep was not included in the plating, If you were doing a lot at a time, there prices would probably be more fair, its just when doing small batches like this that makes the prices so expensive. I am going to search for another company around me that does not have the minimum order fee.

I have not looked into a tumbler, I have always had a beadblaster, so not really had a use for one as the blaster does a good job.

I also have seen you can buy a kit from a company called caswell plating for around $300 to zinc plate parts on your own, they work good, just don't offer as much quality of a finish as getting it professionally done, a friend I have did some bolts for my 401 with it and they look good, just are kind of dull and don't have much of a shine, I may still look into one though.

Jake Kuhn

Getting a little closer, engine is now complete other than oil drain and air cleaner, still have to paint the air cleaner, and pick up some screws for the carb elbow. I'm going to run the oil drain off to the side of the frame, its probably not original, but don't want to make a big mess on the frame when changing the oil.

Also got the rear lift, and steering together and working good.

post-4240-0-23263900-1425000816_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-29129400-1425000885_thumb.jp

exaust was painted with rustoleum high temp paint, have had good luck with this on several tractors.

post-4240-0-45325900-1425000989_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-04455100-1425001060_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-93921200-1425001143_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-08996100-1425001237_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-65679600-1425001331_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Racinbob

You amaze me Jake :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

RedRanger

That coated hardware really completes the project.

• Like 1

Martin

Got some parts back today, can finally start putting it together a little more.

attachicon.gifDSCN3378.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN3379.JPG

:woohoo:   :thumbs:  :thumbs:

bet you couldn't wait to start putting them parts on once you got them back......

Edited by Martin

Martin

the size and configuration of the parts is why they run them in separate batches. they should have been up front about that before you left them there to plate. the place i use has to process them the same, the longer, larger parts will usually get done on a rack whereas the smaller stuff is done in a basket. two separate runs, hence the price is doubled. best way is lots of planning ahead, send small and large in separate and more quantity of each to make it more affordable.

you really need to send in enough to do 3 or 4 tractors at a time to get the price more reasonable. all your rods, shafts and large stuff in one run and all the bolts, nuts, brackets in another. its a pain this way but works out better in the long run. even though you have to bead blast them first, i still like the finish compared to painting larger stuff. small runs of bolts etc, might still be better off buying new, (if you can get the ones you want)....

i hope you can find better than $100 a run, i pay $40 for roughly 3/4 a 5 gallon bucket full of small stuff at a place near work. the longer parts are usually way bigger than a bucket, (pto rods, brake rods etc) i usually take in what ever could be jammed in a bucket if you were holding it so it wouldn't fall over and then it would be a $40 run.

• Like 1

slammer302

I have a family friend that's runs a plating company they mainly just do zinc plating maybe I should ask what his pricing is

Jake Kuhn

Here's an update today, didn't get to spend a lot of time on it today, but got the engine back on now, hopefully for the last time and front tires mounted and installed on the tractor, will have to wait until next weekend to get the rears on as I didn't have any tubes. Still need to get the speed selector arm fixed and painted, a friend has had it for a while now, waiting for him to weld in a new piece for me, once I have that painted and back tires mounted its pretty much ready to go together the rest of the way.

post-4240-0-51920000-1425174040_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-26043800-1425174122_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-78700000-1425174215_thumb.jp

Edited by Jake Kuhn
  • Like 6

Jake Kuhn

Got the oil bath, seat, and belts/belt guard installed.

post-4240-0-90811900-1426620104_thumb.jp

Also have the steering wheel and speed selector ready for paint, hope to paint those and a brake kit for it tomorrow or thursday. Its getting pretty close!

post-4240-0-91534000-1426620113_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Racinbob

And this is only a partial restore :confusion-confused:  :angry-tappingfoot:

Beautiful job Jake :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

Pullstart

I was just thinking the same thing Racinbob!

more great work from Jake

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Finally got it out for a ride today. Still have several things to go back and fix, and put my new back tires on, but glad to have it going for now. Runs and drives awesome. 

post-4240-0-92112100-1427154117_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-85117000-1427154124_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-85906900-1427154129_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-62418600-1427154135_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-28316900-1427154141_thumb.jp

• Like 2

dclarke

Looks great, Jake!   :thumbs: 

• Like 1

stevebo

Jake-

That came out really nice. Love to see it all come together.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Beautiful job Jake....as always. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Pullstart

that looks awesome!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Very nice Jake. 

Jake Kuhn

Thanks all! Hope to get my new tires mounted tomorrow..and maybe if I feel up to it I will put the decals on.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Yeah, can't wait to see it all stickered up.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

motor12

I look at your restoration pictures when I get stumped on how to finish a part or what the fully assembled unit should look like. keep posting the photos it's a big help. thanks.