Jake Kuhn

doing a partial resto on my 57 rj

Jake Kuhn

Hi guys, decided I am going to do a partial resto on my 57 rj35. It is just going to be blasted and primed and I will worry about filling in all the pits and painting it another day. It has all been blasted and the frame has been primed. One of my dad's buddys is going to go through the rear end for us and see if it needs anything. We do not have a motor for it yet, But I know where I can get one. No gas tank either and I'll have to see if I can get my dad to let one of his hoods go. If anyone has a gas tank or a spring that tensions the belts, or a throttle cable they want to let go of please send me a message. Here are some pics of the frame that is primed. The last pic will show you its in pretty bad shape. but that is the worst spot. I'll get some pics of the rest of the parts tomorrow. ~Jake

DSCN0512.jpg

DSCN0510.jpg

DSCN0511.jpg

• Like 2

Jake Kuhn

A before picture...

DSCN0292.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Looks like you're off to a great start there Jake.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Thanks craig, how did you not spot the tecumseh sign in the first pic. :ychain: :)

• Like 1

1maidenfan

Thanks craig, how did you not spot the tecumseh sign in the first pic. :ychain::)

Really have to look close to find that one jake.

Looks like you have a really good start on your restore(partial or not)

Keep us posted, love pix!

neil

Good luck with the partial restore Jake ,

Thats a great looking Workshop you have there, looks like a hospital operating theatre. with all that machinery

HorseFixer

Looks Good Jake! :handgestures-thumbupright: <<<< The Tractor Mogule! :ychain: Give him 3 more years and he will have more than Roy Stewardson. :eusa-whistle:

~Duke

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Thanks craig, how did you not spot the tecumseh sign in the first pic. :ychain::)

I figured the Squonk sent that to you. :)

Jake Kuhn

I figured the Squonk sent that to you. :)

:ROTF: wish it was a kohler sign, but I got it for free along with my 4x6 dealer sign! How can I ask for more? :)

Jake Kuhn

Well...Its been a while, sorry for not updating. I have changed plans on this and have decided to do a complete redo on it. I have been messing with the rear drive system with the pauls and trying to get the rings to stay on. We got our buddy to make us some new rings for it and now it seems to work great! He also rebuilt my variator for it and it is perfect! I have all new tires for this one already as my dad was ordering tires so I could basically get free shipping on fronts, and a buddy had a set of new 6-12's that I purchased from him for $70! My hood was in terrible shape and I think the tractor has been flipped over at some time but got a guy at the body shop to tinker with it for a little while and he got it pretty nice. After sandblasting it is not that bad! I still need to find a motor for it but have a kohler schnacke and oil bath so I am hoping to find a k90 for it rather than a clinton.

I have next week off from school so I am hoping to get the frame fixed or,at least start on it here are a couple pictures of it.

the frame, if you look carefully you can see my motor that has the oil bath and recoil on it(that is a k91 just wanted to put them on to see what they looked like)

DSCN1169_zps81196e7b.jpg

frame needs straightened out too from what I think was a rollover.

DSCN1170_zpsb9c5c7fd.jpg

have just about everything glass beaded.

DSCN1172_zpsddc5b033.jpg

front rims, need to find a nicer set of rears

DSCN1173_zps6ca6cc97.jpg

what the rings look like

DSCN1168_zpsd58f72d6.jpg

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

The tires and a close up picture of the motor that my recoil and air cleaner is on.

post-4240-0-67267800-1364428412_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-71042200-1364428446_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Kevbo

Nice tractor Jake!! That is a beautiful workshop you are working in :bow-blue:

• Like 1

dclarke

I'm sure this is going to be REALLY nice when you're done with it, Jake.  :thumbs:  Keep the pics coming.  

Jake Kuhn

I worked on the seat a little last week during spring break, and finished it up yesterday. It was full of pits when I got it, now it is really nice and ready for paint. I did not do the underside of it but that will never be seen. Thanks, Jake

DSCN1196_zps948e43ab.jpg

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Looking good Jake!

Jake Kuhn

Making a little progress

all these are ready for paint

post-4240-0-87563600-1387670671_thumb.jp

and making some progress on the frame...still needs a bunch more time, but its getting there

post-4240-0-66403300-1387670674_thumb.jp

Just have to finish up the frame, hood, wheels, and still searching for a k90

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Very nice jake!! What a beautiful shop you have to work in.

Jake Kuhn

Finally got some stuff painted. The fenders and belt shield go to the 401, the rest is to this. Frame is just about ready for primer now too.

post-4240-0-34295600-1388198128_thumb.jp

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Paint looks awesome Jake.   :bow-blue: 

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Got a nice showercap muffler in the mail for this today, think it is nos but am not sure. Got a really good deal on it. This will go nice along with some stainless fittings. Frame is ready to be primed too, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

post-4240-0-24992800-1390345084_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Hammerhead

Looking good Jake! Gotta love the early RJ's, they are my favorite's! Keep up the good work! Keith

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Finally got a motor for it. It is still not a k90 but probably as close as I can find. Its a k91 with the 3/4" exaust. I will put a 90 serial tag on it. Does anyone know if if would matter if I change the head? I want it to look right, but don't want it to not run right lol. This will get a complete rebuild probably in the summer when I have some money to put into it. 

Thanks, Jake

post-4240-0-42117000-1393035608_thumb.jp

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Nice score there Jake.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Jake Kuhn

Been working on the motor for it....opened it up to find this....

post-4240-0-50531400-1395091500_thumb.jp

It has a .010 over piston and a nice tight bore....so I am just going to do a valve job on this and put new rings on it. The piston and rod are in good shape. I have some parts soaking and will get pictures of them when I get them cleaned up and blasted(may take me a few days)  I also ended up taking a k90 shroud I had that did not have recoil holes in it and added them to it, It left me with a good spare k91 shroud with original paint for another project. Also had a set of NOS tins for one of these laying around and I figured this was the one to use it on Here are some pictures of the shroud and blasted parts

post-4240-0-93514900-1395091520_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-17701500-1395091529_thumb.jp

post-4240-0-65923600-1395091511_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Has anyone ever put briggs and stratton rings in their k91? I have heard from 2 guys now that they are the same as the k91. Thanks.