Sign in to follow this  
1maidenfan

regal red paint (quart size)

1maidenfan

Was wondering if this is the type of paint that some of you buy to paint your tractors?

Thanks

post-4490-0-10396900-1350693574_thumb.jp

KC9KAS

That is what I use in spray cans, and if and when I paint with a cup & compressor, that WILL be the paint I use.

• Like 1

Forest Road

I like Rustoleum farm paint on IH red. Quarts and spray cans are redily available.

Zeek

I happen to be trying the same thing right now. So far I like it. Stay away from TSC Majic . .

• Like 1

1maidenfan

Thanks for the replys, I am currently using the regal red in the rattle can but was wanting to try with a gun. Wanted to make sure I purchased the correct stuff.

Thanks guys. :bow-blue: :woohoo:

mattd860

I mix regal red quart cans with 50% acetone and spray it with a hvlp gun. The finish is fantastic.

• Like 2

jusjeepn

John, I'm still using Valspar. I bought 3 gal and a ton of rattle cans on closeout @ TSC. It only took 1/3 of a qt to spray the RJ so it should last a long time. Let me know if you want to try some. The majic paint isn't as bad as some believe. I have had good luck with it so far. All of this is Majic paint!

Zeek

I mix regal red quart cans with 50% acetone and spray it with a hvlp gun. The finish is fantastic.

Do you have link to any pictures?

welderman85

i have used the rustoluem with good results. looks good and holds up pretty good

CTPhil

If you mixed up more than you needed would it keep until another time?

mattd860

Do you have link to any pictures?

2012-10-05_17-16-53_893.jpg

If you mixed up more than you needed would it keep until another time?

I don't really know to be honest. I do know that if you add hardener it won't last more than 8hrs. But I don't know how long it will last if you only add acetone. To be safe, you should just mix what you plan on spraying immediately after.

CTPhil

Did you use hardener? Does it work OK without?

Your tractor looks great!

mattd860

Did you use hardener? Does it work OK without?

Your tractor looks great!

I used Valspar hardener (http://www.amazon.com/Valspar-Oz-Enamel-Hardener-18-4625/dp/B003WL8BO6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350842707&sr=8-3&keywords=valspar+hardener). I have never sprayed without a hardener so I don't know how it will work without it.

CTPhil

Thanks! I think I need to up my game. I painted a Gravely L8 with Rustoleum and it turned out well, but took weeks to really harden up, Lots of paint damage during assembly.

KC9KAS

Thanks! I think I need to up my game. I painted a Gravely L8 with Rustoleum and it turned out well, but took weeks to really harden up, Lots of paint damage during assembly.

I think the addition of hardener will take care of this problem.

mattd860

Even with the acetone and hardener, the rustoleum paint will need at least 5-7 days to cure/harden. It can be handled after 8hrs and wet sanded after 24hrs (maybe earlier if the climate is dry and warm).

Wishin4a416

What brand or type of hardener do you use with Rustoleum?

Wishin4a416

Thank You. I have hardener for automotive acrylic enamel but didnt think it would work with regular enamel.

WHEEL HORSE BILL

I use that regal red and love it. True paint no acetone or hardener and it works awesome.

good luck hope you like it.

mark89

i use valspar still doit best hardware can still order it for u but looking for somthing new to try more readly out there

wheelhorse656

Regal red sunrise red 50/50 makes. Great color!! MatchesIH red almost perfectly!

CTPhil

A nice thing for me is that regal red is also a near perfect match for old Gravely walk behinds, and also 1980's up. One color for everything!