Sign in to follow this  
steve k

steering wheel removal

steve k

Anyone have any advice on removing the steering wheel fron the shaft on my commando 8? I drove out the roll pin but the wheel wont budge.

I have not tried a puller or anything because I did not want to mar up the wheel.

Thanksin advance.

Steve

KC9KAS

Put plenty of penetrating oil on it...WD-40, PB Blaster, anything that is called penetrating oil....some fellas have favorites.

Let is soak, add more penetrate, let it soak, repeat several times before you try a puller.

rmaynard

Because the hub of the wheel is steel, a 3-armed gear puller shouldn't hurt it. Soak everything with PB Blaster or other penetrating oil and give it a go.

steve k

Thanks guys, it is presently soaking.....

Will post update.

Steve

COMMANDO6

I currently have the wheel on my 6 HP soaking too. I was going to ask if there is anything more I can do, but I guess now I have my answer.

Terry M

I had to cut the steering shaft off with a saw-zall just below the steering wheel and remove the stub left in the steering wheel with a press. did all of that soaking and heaating first and didn't want to wreck the steering wheel. glad I did because it was all the press could do to get it out. welded a new shaft onto the steering sector end of the steering shaft and was back in business. Figured this out with the help of a red square member. :handgestures-thumbupright:

COMMANDO6

Oh but I would really not like to damage the original shaft...

Trouty56

Is there something about the Commando that would prevent you from taking the shaft and all to the press???? That's how I get them removed.....

COMMANDO6

Well for me at least, I can't slide the connected dash piece down the shaft because the collar is stuck. Also soaking. So the whole assembly won't really fit in a press, at least not a press my dad n I have.

rmaynard

The collar can be cut off with a sawzall or a good cold chisel.

steve k

Thats what I may have to do. The collar below the "dash" is stuck on mine as well. I will have to cut it off and slide the dash down and fenangle it into the press. Thanks for the idea!

Steve

John T

To preserve the original metal, I would use whatever I trust as a rust dissolver, in my case Marvel Mystery Oil, and either buy enough so I can let the assembly be submersed in it or else have rags saturated with it, in contact with the rusted areas, and let this process occur for a week. I would be concerned (now knowing) with what any chemical would do to the steering wheel rubber. That would lean me toward the rag method. For my resto I elected to keep the assembly together, having the same challenge after the roll pin was out...

John T

Some people use molasses and I learned about that here on the forum I think.

Terry M

Oh but I would really not like to damage the original shaft...

My thoughts too, but it was better to cut the shaft than destroy a nice original steering wheel trying to get it off.

neil

ive destoyed many a steering wheel trying to get shaft off , , i think i would go with cutting the shaft and then either getting a new or used shaft or even weld the old one back .

JMO

steve k

I got the wheel off today!! I cut the collar of below the dash, slid the dash down, put it in the press with steel blocks under the wheelhub and pressed the shaft out with a 7/16 socket. No marks on the wheel.

Thanks Trouty.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

If I cant get them off quickly :disgust: with a 3 Jaw Puller I saw the shaft :jaw: So I can intruduce to MR. 40 ton Hydro Press that gives it an Attitude Adjustment! :handgestures-thumbup:

~Duke

Terry M

If I cant get them off quickly :disgust: with a 3 Jaw Puller I saw the shaft :jaw: So I can intruduce to MR. 40 ton Hydro Press that gives it an Attitude Adjustment! :handgestures-thumbup:

~Duke

:text-yeahthat::) :thanks:

tommy3horse

I made a 2 pc collar that has the correct diameter and bolted it under the wheel. It was no problem with any puller.

I used a 1/2" thick piece of steel about 2" dia and bored a hole in it, then cut it in half. The wheel "POPPED" when it came loose. Of course, I used alot of PB Blaster before. Good luck...

Tom

Tankman

I always keep the small Singer sewing machine oil cans in stock. Come in handy!

JackC

Use a large bearing splitter or make a two piece collar like tommy did to grab under the wheel.