Sign in to follow this  
kwalshy

Trouble shifting into 1st Gear on 314-8

kwalshy

Hello all,

I have a '95 314-8 (360 hours on meter). Recently I've been having some difficulty shifting into 1st gear. Sometimes it takes a few attempts of pressing in the clutch pedal in & out in before I can get the shifter into 1st gear. I have been experiencing this while at a complete stop, more often going from neutral into 1st, but a few times going from Reverse to 1st. I have no issues shifting into 2nd, 3rd or Reverse.

My questions: Is there an adjustment I can make to allow catching 1st gear easier?

or is this an indication of a future major transmission failure?

Thank you for any help you can provide me with this.

Regards,

Kevin

Don1977

The first thing I would check is to have some push in the clutch with it running and look to see if the belt stops moving. The Idler bracket has a 90 degree bend at the top above the idler pulley that contacts the belt when the clutch is push in to stop the belt. That tractor has the spring shock on it don't know if it could be binding and not letting the clutch depress fully. It could be in the transmission but I would check every thing else first. I have an older tractor that I have found if you give it a little time after pushing in the clutch it will go in with out scraping.

• Like 1

kpinnc

What he said :)

In addition- If you can't get it in 1st, put it in reverse just long enough to notice movement (or to just rotate the gears a tiny bit), and it should go in first just fine. These trannies don't have any type of syncronization, so it's not uncommon for them to not go in gear- particualrly in first or reverse. As the tranny gets up in years, it shows up more often.

As far as needing repair or indicating failure, I would say it's normal as long as it isn't excessive and the tranny doesn't have any loud growls or whines. My 310-8 has a faint whine in third, but that is also what I would consider normal.

• Like 1

tunahead72

Ditto to both of these answers, plus...

Have you checked your fluid level lately?

• Like 1

kwalshy

Thanks Don1977, I'll check the spring & hold the clutch in a little longer to see if that helps..

Fluid level is good.

leeave96

Sometimes my 314-8 will do the same thing. I just let out on the clutch and press it back down. The gears seem to line-up and it goes into gear. The main thing is don't force anything and don't grind them gears!

Mighty fine tractor you got!

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

kwalshy

So I've done what has been suggested and I haven't had any issues during the past few snow storms while clearing the driveway.

Thank you for the help.

can whlvr

lots of guys replace the shock with a spring,as alot of the older tractors use,i did this on my 89 414 and it worked alot better ,mind you my shock was not working properly