Sign in to follow this  
Nick

V-Plow

Nick

For a few years Ive wanted to build a V plow like my brother has on his truck and I got around to it this year. It is not done yet but real close so should have finished pics in a week or so.. The plow doesnt have any fancy hydraulics like the truck blade just an arm on each wing that will have 3 points to mount on for the different angles. It can be in the normal straight position, V back for deep snow, V forward to push snow (and not have it run off the sides) plus one side can be forward or back and the other straight. It will also still be able to angle from the seat like a normal blade. Used the stock mount so the V blade can be removed and the factory 48" blade put on for dirt or other jobs. Tractor is my brothers 520-Lxi.

Nick in Ohio

vplow008.jpg

vplow009.jpg

vplow014.jpg

vplow011.jpg

nylyon

It looks great! Everyone seems to be ready for a snowy winter, it'll be fun to see pictures of all these in action!

kj4kicks

Nice job Nick ! One implement for many uses.

And now we know what to do with all those old "Case" parts laying around!

Eldon.

Nick

Would be nice to test the V blade in deep snow one time then I wont mind if it warms back up till summer. If it gets too deep my brother still has a two stage blower for the xi, just hope we dont need to get that out.

Eldon,

I just about cut up two 42" WH blades but changed my mind for the Case blade I had from another project. The 54" Case blade worked out nice cut in half plus it is a little taller than the 42 WH blades. Nice job on your 520 loader also like your Ford Horse hauler.

T-Mo

Nick,

Again a nice job. That plow does look very useful and versatile. BTW, how do you and your brother like the newer 5xi tractors? I've seen one in the local dealership a few years back and thought they were massive tractors - in the same vein as JD's 4x5 series.

Nick

I have not used the 520-Lxi much yet but I like the idea of a 2 range hydro transmission (should have been done years ago), the foot pedal hydro control should be nice when I get used to it plus the power steering should help if we mount a loader on it. My brother works in a Toro shop and from what I hear they dont have many problems with the Xi tractors. I assume the only problem they did have was the high selling price and the older Wheel Horse attachments would not mount on an xi series tractors. The used price is starting to come down on them, even seen a few of the Diesel 523-Dxi at good prices. New price on those was pushing $10,000.

T-Mo

Yeah, I guess Toro dropped the ball when they didn't design the 5xi to accept the older attachments, though I'm not sure if that would have been possible anyways.

On the foot control, I have an '06 JD X320, which has that feature. It's really nice, but, and I want to stressed this, you have to be careful and think of what you're doing and what you're driving. The tendency is when you want to stop, say when you enter your shed, is to push down on the brake. Well, what happens you pressed down harder on the pedal and your foot is still on the forward motion pedal. I know, it's almost happen to me a couple of times.

refracman

Nick, nice to see you here and nice job on the plow. my 417xt is "the little brother" of the 520, it has the foot control, which i absolutely love, it beats the heck out of the lever controls

Steve