Sign in to follow this  
FreddieFarmall

Rear Axle Hubs

FreddieFarmall

We just started working on a puller for my son. I purchased a nice 'rolling chassis' Commando 800 at the show in Arendtsville this summer. This model has 10" rear tires on a unique flat wheel with smaller diameter center hole, and corresponding 'boss' on the hub for the wheel to fit onto. I did not notice this until I put a set of 12" wheels on it. The bolt pattern fits, but the center hole is about 1/2 in larger, so wheel will only be supported by the lugs. Thought about trying to get another set of hubs, but this model has 1" axles. Any ideas?

Thanks, Fred P.

AMC RULES

Post a pict if you can, so we can see what you're working with.

Sparky

No picture needed. Just get a set of 1" hubs off a 300 series machine and away you go. I think the 300 series machines have the twin set screw hubs. Or better yet (since your building a puller) get an 8 speed tranny with the 1 1/8" rear axles/hubs and retrofit it to your machine. It'll probably hold up better for pulling competitions.

Mike............

FreddieFarmall

Thanks Sparky-

I will see what I can scare up. My son is 7 yrs old, and has been running one of his grandfather's tractors this summer. He is anxious to get this one going. I think he will probably not pull this one in more than 700 or 800 lb class, so I hope the orig. transaxle will hold up. I will post some pics of the progress :)

Fred

Jim_M

If the lugs are tight, you'll be fine, it's all the support you need.

• Like 1

kpinnc

Does the Commando 800 tranny have the extra-long 1-inch axles to go with those 10-inch wheels? I know my 8 4 speed has them, and I personally would not place too much strain on those axles for sure.

700-800 lbs class probably won't break them, but it's hard to say with all that added leverage of those long axles. Even a standard 4-speed tranny would be far stronger with 12-inch wheels. I agree with Mike: Try to locate an 8-speed with 1 and 1/8th axles.

I apologize for nitpicking your plan, as it is done with the best intentions. I only do so out of concern for your son- because I would imagine it could get dangerous if he lost an entire rear wheel during the pull.

Wishin4a416

No picture needed. Just get a set of 1" hubs off a 300 series machine and away you go. I think the 300 series machines have the twin set screw hubs. Or better yet (since your building a puller) get an 8 speed tranny with the 1 1/8" rear axles/hubs and retrofit it to your machine. It'll probably hold up better for pulling competitions.

Mike............

When did the 300 series go to 1 inch, or I guess I mean when did they go to the 1 1/8 axles. My 87 312-8 has the bigger axles.

FreddieFarmall

The transmission on my tractor does have those 'long' axles and you are probably correct that they won't hold up under a lot of weight. I will try to find a more durable transmission, but for the time being, I think this one will work OK. Will another transmission be a direct 'bolt on' switch or will I have to fabricate stuff?

Fred