Sign in to follow this  
brett66c

Carb Related Starting Problems

brett66c

First off, I have a C-125 Auto with a K-301 47724.

After cleaning my carb (took it all apart and washed it in all-purpose parts cleaner), I bolted it back onto my motor, fired up it, and then adjusted the carb to run properly while the motor was running. I then detached everything and pulled the motor out of the tractor. With the motor and tractor separated, I power-washed the tractor and cleaned the motor with degreaser. Also, I replaced the fuel line and filter along with two other things not important to the story or problem. After putting everything back together, my WH wont fire up. It turns overs, and evens looks like there might be some smoke/exhaust coming out of the muffler but no matter what it wont start. When I replace the old fuel line, I replaced it 3/8 in. line and an excessively large filter to match because thats all they had at the time. There is some air in the filter but from what I've read, that seems to be normal. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?

Brett

CasualObserver

Sounds more like an ignition problem than a carb problem. that light smoke you're seeing is probably the fuel vapor being exhausted in an unburnt state. Check your spark, change the spark plug, clean the points and retrace all your wiring to make sure you hooked it all back up correctly. Could be something as simple as a grounding issue. B)

Curmudgeon

I concur. All the wiring is exposed, as is the coil. Odds are, the gasket around the points cover isn't what it used to be and there might be water in there. Dry it all out and get back with us.

brett66c

Ok, I dried out the connections like advised, and just like you guys predicted, it fired up. But now I've got a new problem. The carb leaks around the rim of the bowl.

Is this due to:

1) a bad seal?

2) the 3/8 in line?

3) the carb being tuned wrong?

4) other?

Brett

HorseFixer

Replace the float bowl gasket! :whistle: Those gaskets get brittle or can easily get torn. Good Luck! Would be a good idea to get a carb kit will have everything ya need in it and is cheap insurance. B)

Duke