Horse Play

1969 Work Horse 700 Restoration

CasualObserver

i didn't realize that they made work horses prior to the 80's.

nice tractor you have there!

The Work Horse actually started back at the 1054!

1054WorkHorse.jpg

@ Horse Play:  As for painting the trans....yep, clean it nice and paint it.   I would definitely make sure you can get that pin out first.  You have rust in there.... and painting over it isn't going to do any favors.  Spend the time now and get the pin out.  That way if you ever have to work on the transmission, you don't end up ruining the paint later!

Horse Play

First batch of painted parts (pics don't do these parts justice)  

DSC_0479_zpsf59fc404.jpg

Sanding the rest...

DSC_0480_zps0518138e.jpg

Edited by Horse Play
  • Like 1

Horse Play

Dropped off the remainder of parts at my buddy's shop - we'll probably spray them sometime this week.  We had a sunny day today so I spray bombed the transmission - it actually turned out better than I thought it would.  Speaking of the tranny, which Uni-Drive decal would be correct for 1969?

Anyone have an idea what color the tie rods were originally?  Mine are rust-colored and am thinking about trying the vinegar soaking I've been reading about.    

Horse Play

I've been searching for one of these for well over a year.  Found it on CL by accident - the seller didn't know it was WH and was getting ready to give it to the junk man for scrap!  I paid $45 and drove an hour to get it.  It's in OK shape - rusted through in a few spots (not brittle though) on the rear rolled lip and the inside it pitted.  I'm going to give it a quick resto and use it around the yard next year.  

CL pics: 

00L0L_7h3j4uaLfzW_600x450.jpg

00H0H_5zlXZW3IZYn_600x450.jpg

00z0z_25hQZJcI2g2_600x450.jpg

Edited by Horse Play
  • Like 1

Horse Play

So here's some pics of the wagon.  The back edge is rough shape, but I think I'll give it a good wire brushing and sanding.  Then a good coat of primer and Valspar IH red to use around the yard.

DSC_0484_zpsa5274d27.jpg

DSC_0486_zpsc962c4c3.jpg

DSC_0485_zpsb18c4f34.jpg

And the tractor is starting to go back together...

DSC_0483_zpsc4c4dd97.jpg

Horse Play

Well the steering wheel was removed without hassle?  It's in very good shape; not broken and no cracks, but could use a good polishing.  Can anyone recommend a good product?  

Horse Play

Painting is finished and now it's time for assembly.  I can't decide what rear tires to go with so I'll mess with the rear wheels later.

DSC_0464_zpsa7cf6542.jpg

DSC_0465_zpsf724b0ac.jpg

DSC_0466_zps666b2653.jpg

Edited by Horse Play
  • Like 1

hm12460

Looking good! I've used bar ag lug tractor tires before and they didn't bother my yard at all. The tread style you have on there now looks nice too, if you can find them new. Miller tire probably has them.

bowtiebutler956

Looking very sharp there Horse Play!!!! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Horse Play

Looking good! I've used bar ag lug tractor tires before and they didn't bother my yard at all. The tread style you have on there now looks nice too, if you can find them new. Miller tire probably has them.

The current rears are the originals, they're dry-rotted pretty bad on the inside sidewalls.  Miller tire has brought back the Firestone Town and Country 6-12's, but $120 a piece is a little high IMO.

Can anyone recommend some good looking 6-12 ags???  There seem to be quite a few out there and would like something not too tall for my short frame tractor.

Horse Play

A little more progress, but I'm having some hood alignment issues with the dash - anyone have had similar issues???

DSC_0472_zpse3d32366.jpg

DSC_0477_zps04b62686.jpg

DSC_0473_zps50340a07.jpg

DSC_0474_zpse2b5581b.jpg

DSC_0478_zpsa8e7e63b.jpg

Fun Engineer

Are your issues with the hood where it meets the dash tower? Had a problem in that location with my Commando 8 when I put a NOS hood on it. I had to put some pressure on the hood to flex it a little. It's still tight but I don't open it that often.

I also bent the hoods hinge pins that are welded to the frame. I bent them forward a tad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Fun Engineer

Horse Play

It's the upper dash (the pop metal-aluminum piece) interfering with the latch rod - the hood closes fine with the latch removed.  I adjusted every part possible towards the rear of the tractor, but that didn't help.  

When I bought the tractor, the left hood pin on the frame was broken off and it the left side of the dash is where I'm having the problem - I'm wondering if it did this to someone else in the past and that's why the pin broke.  I had the pin welded back together before painting and it actually sits more forward than the right side.  I'm now thinking I might do a little grinding on the dash to get a little clearance.  I haven't ordered nylon hood bushing yet, but I don't think they'll help much if at all.

Ken B

That is coming along real nice!

Horse Play

Here's a little tease, I'm still finishing up a few little things.

1920250_10101998666997240_55258280849525

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Very nice!  Fun picture too... sort of reminiscent of ad brochure pictures of the same era!

rjwhorse700

I need to see what the sear brackets look like on the 700. My fenders have no brackets and im havin a hard time figuring out what I need to do. This is all I have. Nothing to bolt to the body.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Edited by rjwhorse700

Horse Play

Can someone tell me if I put the steering shaft bushing in the wrong way?  It vibrates up and out, so know I wondering if it should have been flipped and installed under the dash - I can't remember how it was when I took it apart. 

DSC_0478_zpsa8e7e63b.jpg

Edited by Horse Play

rjwhorse700

Yes it should be flipped and installed from inside. U should see a groove on the shaft that the bushing fits over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Alan_Heist

Painting is finished and now it's time for assembly.  I can't decide what rear tires to go with so I'll mess with the rear wheels later.

DSC_0466_zps666b2653.jpg

I personally wouldn't suggest ag's if you primarily use this horse for eating grass.  :laughing-rofl:

I would suggest some good turf tires in 23-8.50-12.

They will fit your rims and be a little wider.  They have good traction on grass and dirt, but won't dig in on tight turns like an Ag tire will.

Here is a pair on fleabay for only $90 + shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-23X8-5-12-4-Ply-Turf-Lawn-Mower-Tires-PAIR-DS7049-/331185219983?pt=US_Outdoor_Power_Equipment&hash=item4d1c2d698f

Since you are looking to keep the old ones, I suggest finding a second set of rims so you don't have to dismount those tires, they may never mount up again if you do.  Those tires are nice, and the wheels look like they would only need a little clean-up.  That way if you want to take it to some kind of show, you are running what it came with at the show.

Great job on the resto!!!

Bud Andrews
On 10/9/2013 at 9:21 AM, Horse Play said:

So I googled WH 700 pics and came across this nice example.  Something I notice right away is the fuel tank mounted in front of the dash.  Was this how it was originally with the H70 or a retrofit from another tractor?  Either way, I like it and would love to do this on my tractor.  Any info would be appreciated!

472-td4-b01-ext090.jpg

472-td4-b01-ext270.jpg

The tank was originally on the engine,  but we discovered it would fit behind the dash, so we changed it !  Much better looking !

• Like 2