Horse Play

1969 Work Horse 700 Restoration

KATO

Very Nice !! :handgestures-thumbupright:

raider10-8

I've been hopping from one project to the other. Well the hood is in paint and looks good except the top broke out in some light fish eyes. Going to sand and buff then go from there; may have to block it an re-shoot it. Fenders are getting a little straightening and some glaze. My goal is to get the hood, fenders, and belt guard done for spring time. For this summer I'll use the the half-restored tractor for mowing. Next winter I'll do the frame stuff.

Received my decals and they look great. Had a local sign shop do the dash decal, he even did it in one piece - looks great. For the tractors that came without the cigar lighter, what took the place of the empty hole?

DSC_0105_zpsd0d53470.jpg

DSC_0104_zpsa3678469.jpg

where did you get that dash from. im looking for one to a raider 10.

Horse Play

It's a decal from Re-Do Your Horse http://www.redoyourhorse.com/servlet/the-159/BRUSHED-CHROME-DASH-DECALS/Detail

Mine way very rusted and pitted. I sanded it smooth front and back with 80 grit and then sprayed it with etching primer and silver paint. I painted the back too because it's visible when the hood is up. The decal looks amazing - looks just like brushed aluminum. I had a local sign shop install the decal because I'm not the best.

DSC_0148_zps575af67a.jpg

Horse Play

Let's talk rear tires - I need some advise. What I really want is a ag-looking tire, but I'm thinking they'll tear up my yard, is that true? Should I just stick with a common turf tire for mowing? Also, what's a tire size close to the originals?

COMMANDO6

Hey it looks like you are doing a great job with the restore. As for the tires, how's the condition of the originals? I have those on my Commando 6 and I have no problem with traction or anything. I'd keep the originals if they are okay.

I see you are also an O scale model railroader! I'm a model railroader and I work in HO scale, but I have a pretty large Lionel collection.

Horse Play

Hey it looks like you are doing a great job with the restore. As for the tires, how's the condition of the originals? I have those on my Commando 6 and I have no problem with traction or anything. I'd keep the originals if they are okay.

I see you are also an O scale model railroader! I'm a model railroader and I work in HO scale, but I have a pretty large Lionel collection.

The originals are severely dry rotted, but are still holding air.  I plan on keeping the originals, but I would prefer a new set for mowing.  I didn't know if there's any kind of tire with a "ag-looking tread" that wouldn't tear up my yard.

Yeah, my train room is next to the garage and I've been using the table for parts storage.  I had first started with HO but then got into the larger stuff.  I have way too many hobbies, LOL.

Horse Play

Here's some painted parts - the pics don't do any justice!

DSC_0241_zpsfc4f92ef.jpg

DSC_0242_zpsae6f4810.jpg

DSC_0243_zps05095973.jpg

DSC_0245_zpsa856e9f2.jpg

COMMANDO6

Very nice. Both the paint and train table. I know what you mean about having too many hobbies, I can name at least 6 of my own!

Jake Kuhn

Wow does that shine!!!! :bow-blue:

Stigian

She's going to be a beauty when she's finished.. Love that dash.. Nice work Sir :handgestures-thumbup:

70sVintageTrikes

This is probably the slowest progress thread you guys have ever seen!

I'm pretty happy with the dash. I found a plug and also picked up some SS screws. Now I just need to get some choke and throttle cables - I think I'm going to try the Toro ones. Is this steering wheel decal original? The one I received in my decal kit is different.

DSC_0148_zps575af67a.jpg

We has a 55 degree day yesterday and luckily I had a day off. I power washed off the grease and dirt then washed it all with Dawn. I sanded down the fish eyes on the hood and my buddy re-shot it again for me along with spraying the belt guard too. He just called and said everything turned out great. Next week I'll have another buddy that does auto decals and pinstripes do my hood decals. Now my attention will be directed towards the rear fenders and getting the Techie ready and all new belts.

DSC_0149_zps9b583d54.jpg

Where did you find the 3 "rib" front tires?

Ken B

The 700 is really coming together nicely. Now you have me on the hunt for a short frame for myself. I really like the short and stocky look to them.

Horse Play

Motor back on...

DSC_1323_zps656e980b.jpg

Horse Play

Well I enjoyed a good summer of mowing with the WH.  Now she's in pieces again as of last night - down to bare frame this time.  I'll keep you guys updated with pics!

IMG_4106_zps8c323af5.jpg

IMG_4104_zps213fd0ce.jpg

IMG_4107_zpscd9259e1.jpg

posifour11

Can't wait.

bowtiebutler956

Looking forward to seeing your progress! Very Nice Machine!! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Horse Play

So I googled WH 700 pics and came across this nice example.  Something I notice right away is the fuel tank mounted in front of the dash.  Was this how it was originally with the H70 or a retrofit from another tractor?  Either way, I like it and would love to do this on my tractor.  Any info would be appreciated!

472-td4-b01-ext090.jpg

472-td4-b01-ext270.jpg

• Like 1

Horse Play

All apart and I'm back to sanding off paint!

DSC_0473_zpsca47ad1d.jpg

• Like 1

Ken B

Nice job you are doing there. I really like the looks of that Work Horse 700 you posted, everything about it looks just right. I can see one of them being my next project. Maybe with a transplanted Kohler though...

kaiser

i didn't realize that they made work horses prior to the 80's.

nice tractor you have there!

Horse Play

Thanks for the links - very helpful.  Looks like the original had a engine-mounted tank.  I still would like to find a WH tray-mounted tank for more room to convert to e-start.

Horse Play

Nice job you are doing there. I really like the looks of that Work Horse 700 you posted, everything about it looks just right. I can see one of them being my next project. Maybe with a transplanted Kohler though...

Thanks!  I really like the Work Horse full length hood side stripes and the one that runs down the center of the hood.  I would like to transplant to a Kohler someday, but the HM80 is surprisingly awesome.  Starts easy, lots of power for mowing, and doesn't use a drop of oil.  And with it "disguised" as an older Techy, I think I'll keep it for awhile.  

Horse Play

Today I sanded the frame, battery box, and pedals along with some other smaller parts.  Heading to the booth tomorrow to shoot some primer.  

Anyone have some suggestions for painting the transmission?  I was thinking about degreasing it with brake parts cleaner and and a quick scuffing.  How about the rusty hitch support pin - hard to remove or just paint over it?

And does anyone know if this is a original Wheel Horse hitch pin???

DSC_0473.jpg

Jake Kuhn

I have painted a couple of the 2 piece trannys before. I usually sandblast them, but with a good scuffing and degreasing I would bet you could get primer to stick on it good enough. I would remove all the hubs/pulleys/and the hitch and paint them individually...but it all depends on how nice you want it to turn out.....can paint it all together and it will turn out fine...just maybe not to the same quality of painting the parts separate.