Sign in to follow this  
Slick

Wheel Horse 876 Questions

Slick

Hey guys I am a newcomer to the forum here. I have a few questions about my 876 I am putting it together as just a garden tractor, when I got it it came without an engine which was no problem. I had a extra Kohler motor sitting around to go on it. My questions is that the motor had no pulley on it I would like to know the size of the drive pulley, or does it matter what size it is, I am worried about over running the pump or under running the rpm of the pump. I would also like to know if any one could give me some measurements of the hydro fan guard/screen size so I can make one. I know I could make one that would be close to the orginal and that would work. But I have one down fall so to speak I have a bad knack of wanting to make parts as close to oem as possible. If any one can help me out I would be so grateful.

Thank You & God Bless

14llhsz.jpg

• Like 1

Sparky

:WRS: .

I applaud you for thinking about making your own fan guard but I bet someone here has the real deal (you did say you like the oem look). Try hitting up Kelly to see if he has one for sale, he's in the vendor section. He might have the correct pulley as well.

Mike............

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:WRS:

• Like 1

Slick

I would like to try to make it if I can, I think it was on this forum where some guy made one out of heavier gage steel than original so it would not break as easy, I have some screen that's been sitting around an would be great for this little project. I am sure I have a pulley in my parts pile I just would like to know the size of it, this is the first hydro Wheel Horse I had and I don't want to mess the pump up. I would also like to know why people feel the need to cut holes in the hoods of Wheel Horse's? This makes my second Wheel Horse that I have to patch the hood up on. This should be a crime. LOL

Thank You & God Bless

sorekiwi

Welcome to Red Square!

It was Charlie (charlesd250) that was making reproduction fan screens. Sorry I dont have one to measure.

But I think I can measure a pulley. I'll try to remember to do it tonight.

• Like 1

Kelly

I don't have any guards for sale, and can't get to the two tractors that have them, but I think I have the correct pulley off, for that tractor and yes it should be the correct size to run the pump, a guess off the top of my head is 3" I'll look in the next day or so for the pulley I have, I do know it is a 1/2" wide belt.

• Like 1

Slick

Thank's Sorekiwi and Kelly any help you guy's can give me will be grately appreciated. I figured out that the pulley would be for a 4L belt because I stuck another pulley that came off of another Wheel Horse on it and the belt bottomed out in the pulley. I have several different size pulleys for 4L belts. I believe the belt should be a 72" long belt to, shouldn't it. I just want to thank every one on this fourm for trying to help me out and liking Wheel Horse mowers as much as I do.

Thank You & God Bless

sorekiwi

OK, here are some pics of the pulley that was on an 876 that I dragged home from the scrapyard. I have no reason to think this isnt the original pulley, but I am not 100% sure. OD of the drive pulley is 3.5"

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3832.jpg

• Like 1

Kelly

Yes that is the correct pulley, I havn't had time to run out back to see if I have a extra one. :banghead:

• Like 1

Slick

Thank's so much sorekiwi for the pics of the pulley and the measurements of it. :banana-tux: I believe I have one that's that size. It does not have the two outer pulleys that runs the deck. But since it's just going to be a lawn tractor it really does not need them. Now if I can get some measurements of the fan guard I'll be doing good.

Thank You & God Bless

Kelly

I have the correct pulley if you need one, send me a PM

• Like 1

Slick

Thank's Kelly but I have found a correct size pulley for the hydro drive. But if you can get to some tractors with the fan guards, if you dont care give me some pics and some measurements of it. I will post some pics of it when I get it made.

Thank You & God Bless

Kelly

It will be next summer before I can get to the tractors that have the fan guards, on them, they are both in the back of the barn and anyone that has been here will tell you it would take a day to get to them.

• Like 1

Martin

i made one up out of heavier gauge material.....

dont have the measurements right now but give me a day or three and i will get them.....

heres one i made for my 1277....

• Like 1

Slick

That's ok Kelly about the fan guard, but thanks for helping me out. I went to your post Martin an saw the fan guard you made and it was awesome looking. :handgestures-thumbupright: I will be looking foward to hearing from you with the measurements.

Thank You & God Bless

sorekiwi

That fan shroud is actually a very necessary piece of equipment. My 1276 didnt have one on it when I got the tractor, and I never bothered to make one as I thought that with the fender down the fan was pretty much covered up.

So one day I'm plowing snow, and I hit the snowbank hard enough to pop the rear mount of the plow out of its axle bracket. I reach underneath to hook it back in, and manage to stick the very end of my 3rd finger into those aluminum fan blades. Hurt like hell, sliced through my glove and bled for about 2 hours. I think my mother in New Zealand heard me swearing. That finger still hurts like hell when the weather gets cold, a good reminder to not stick my finger where its not wanted!

• Like 1

Slick

OUCH!!!!! sorekiwi hurts just thinking about it. If was my thumb that got in the way of a chain saw about a month ago while trimming a tree. It was my fault for trying to rush and trying to get it done. :banghead: I still have a thumb but it done a pretty good job of slicing and dicing on it. I don't think I did any swearing at the time not really sure though. :scratchead: I believe it scared me to bad to do anything. All it took was a trip to the E.R. and a big bandage. Luckly you and I did not loose a body part but I found out it just takes a split second to get hurt. Out of all of this that happend to you and I, I hope people will learn to slow down and take their time when fooling around with machinery.

Thank You & God Bless

Slick

I finally got the pulley put on and the drive line figured out but still need the measurements for the guard. I been trying to find out how old my horse is but I can't find much. I would like to know if some one can help me out? Model T876 Serial 192958.

Thank you & God Bless

Martin

slick, been hectic here, ran out to the shop this morning and grabbed a few measurements for you. i hope you can make sense of my rushed pics.....

some of the camera angles are off, so i put the measurements above the pic.

if you need any more clarification just ask.

8 1/2"

post-4321-0-94322400-1350379685_thumb.jp

7 3/8"

post-4321-0-95369400-1350379702_thumb.jp

1 3/4" ( bolt tabs stick out a little more than the screen- the screen itself is 1 5/8")

post-4321-0-98709800-1350379731_thumb.jp

1 1/4"

post-4321-0-43721500-1350379747_thumb.jp

1 5/8" inside, 1 3/4 overall

post-4321-0-32475700-1350379760_thumb.jp

5/8"

post-4321-0-41333400-1350379774_thumb.jp

1 1/2"

post-4321-0-63597400-1350379788_thumb.jp

8 3/8" inside, 9 1/8" outside

post-4321-0-13302700-1350379806_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Martin

this corner is broken off, i think there should be a bolt hole here to fasten to the belt guard, mine had a larger tab bolted to the belt guard that the broken end wedged into. hole/bolt should already be in the belt guard

post-4321-0-26586600-1350379993_thumb.jp

bolt centers are roughly 1 3/4" and 5 3/8" this will be determined by the holes in the seat tool box..

post-4321-0-77701900-1350380008_thumb.jp

5 3/4" and 7 3/8"

post-4321-0-48750400-1350380023_thumb.jp

• Like 1

sorekiwi

I been trying to find out how old my horse is but I can't find much. I would like to know if some one can help me out? Model T876 Serial 192958.

1966. 876 means 8 = 8 HP, 7 = Hydro, 6 = 1966.

Slick

Thank's Martin for the pics and the measurements they are very helpful, and I hope to get one made up in a few days. Thank's to you too sorekiwi for leting me know the year of my mower.

Thank You & God Bless