Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

5th Wheel Camper Vs. RV

mattd860

Ok I have a question that's been bugging me all summer long. Occasionally I see two two different types of LARGE campers. The first is a large camper that must be pulled by a truck with a fifth wheel hitch. The second is an RV.

Now - why would someone choose to buy a camper than needs a truck with a 5th wheel hitch instead of an RV???????????

I've been running the possible answers in my head for a while and just can't justify a 5th wheel camper over an RV. One possibility is that the 5th wheel camper costs less than an RV BUT the truck needed to pull the camper is generally large and expensive therefor evening out the costs. I'm sure someone could save money buy pulling the camper with an old truck but all the guys I've seen pulling the 5th wheel camper are driving a brand new monster of a truck so I know they're not saving money. So I know money can't be the issue.

Another possibility is that people like to park the 5th wheel camper and still have a vehicle to drive around the town or campground with BUT an RV is capable of towing a car or small truck so that can't be the reason. Yet another possibility is that people want a truck to both tow the camper and use for other things BUT if the truck has a 5th wheel hitch, it sort takes up most of te space in the bed so that can't be the reason either.

I've even seen people buy MASSIVE trucks with ONLY a 5th wheel hitch in the back JUST to pull a camper!!

So what is it? Why go through all the fuss of a 5th wheel camper when an RV seems so much simpler and appealing. What am I missing???

shorts

good questions that I also am wrestling with, I think that a lot of it is driven buy the type and amount of use either intended or actual and the available finances. For more information to help confuse the issues even more look at the escapees websites for tons of info on the rv life and different types or rigs and the advantages and disadvantages. their is also schoolienet for the bus conversion info.

CRE1992

Because you can use the truck for many things, but with a RV they are a dedicated to one thing.

Plus with a 5th wheel you can unhitch the trailer and go where you need with the truck. Whereas with a RV you have to tow a car or something to get around or move the whole thing.

My dad uses his truck to pull his 5th wheel camper, horse trailers, and motorcycle trailer.

His camper is also a toy hauler, it has a garage in the back of it. And if not in use, 2 queen beds lower from the ceiling.

Keep in mind the truck is a 2011 and has over 75,000 miles on it.

Also RVS use more fuel typically than a truck pullig a 5th wheel. My dad go 13-17 mpg towing the camper shown below back from Florida.

Most RVS, almost all are only 2WD, where a truck can be 4wd allowing it to go over rough terrain. And it is also easier to back up and maneuver as it pivots.

iphonesetonhall055.jpg

68569b5c.jpg

7-7-2011042.jpg

Rooster

Most 5th wheel hitches remove with a couple of pins. The truck is not dis-abled at all.

People like myself, who already own a truck, don't need to buy one just for the RV.

Then there's tags, insurance and property tax, all are higher on an RV than a trailer. At least in KS. If I bought an RV, and a car to tow behind it, I'd then have 3 vehicles to tag and insure & pay for instead of 1 truck and a trailer!

squonk

Never owened but worked at an RV dealer.

fith wheel upper bedrooms are cool. :)

tow easier

truck can haul wood or coolers in the bed :)

trucks are easier to work on and more dependable

Motor homes:

break all the time at least in the old days

are a PITA to work on

towing a car is also a PITA

when the MH breaks down on a trip you are screwed,.

If the truck break you can usually get the fith towed to a camp ground so you at least have a place to stay.

Motor homes are nice if you got a nice trailer to haul the Horses!

fireman

I'll second what CRE and Squonk said. I tow a 26 travel trailer. It pulls with a weight distributing hitch. It's a lightweight design and only weights in dry at 4600lbs. I pull it with my 2010 F150. No need for a big expensive dually. It meets the needs of my family of 4 just fine. Unless you are retired or do an extreme amount of camping (more than 50 nights a year) and/or are rich, there really is no need for a 30+ foot 5th wheel.

Generally RV suck a huge amount of fuel. Now add the weight of pulling even a small car and forget it.

We went across the country last year through the rockies, up into Montana, then back across through North Dakota, back down to Iowa and across I80 home. Saw all the national parks along with a bunch of other places. My niece was getting married in Montana so we were going out either way. I towed my other camper with the same truck. It was a little lighter at around 4100lbs dry. 5 weeks on the road cost me a total of $2200 for fuel. The total miles was 6600. The airline tickets for the 4 of us just to go out to Montana round trip would have cost $3000.

We have talked to a lot of retired people who spend most of there time on the road. It is a mixed opinion about wether to go the truck/trailer or RV car/tow route. I look at it this way. If you have a lot of money, go the RV pulling a car route. If your just a regular guy, go the truck/trailer route. My 2010 truck ended up costing around $30,000 new after rebates and discounts. My trailer which we just bought this spring cost $18,000 new. For less than $50,000 we can go anywhere, anytime, and for as long as we want. The truck doubles as my winter vehicle and chores around the house. I use a 1987 Honda Accord for my commuter/around town vehicle (gets 35 mpg, is in great shape and saves putting extra mileage on the truck).

I suggest going on some of the Camping/RVing forums, do your research and figure out what works for you.

• Like 1

Ken B

If you are looking into something like this to hit some of the tractor shows then I think an RV is the way to go. You can hook your flatbed trailer right up to it and haul your horse's to the show and sleep in comfort for the entire weekend. You can generally find an older, yet super clean RV in the 4-7000 dollar range in our area. Sometimes even cheaper. The trick is too find one that a retiree owned that was really into keeping up on the maintenance.

jimt1971

My wife and I hit a few tractor shows each year. We use a bumper pulled enclosed car trailer that we converted into a toy hauler. Our trailer is a dry conversion which means we have no running water or grey tank installed.Which means we do not have to winterize our trailer each year. By having the bumper pulled trailer if we purchase a tractor or two more than we left with we can put the four wheel cart in the truck and our new prize in the trailer. Also, I always have had a truck for my daily driver so having the truck is not a problem for us.

nylyon

I suppose the question comes down to what you intend to use your RV for. First, RV encompasses travel trailers, fifth wheels and motor homes. I have been RV'ing just about all my life. Currently we have a 5th wheel. Why? Our RV is used for vacations and the 5th wheel that we have has essentially 3 bedrooms. This floor layout is not available in a motor home. Additionally, when we arrive at our destination, we simply unhook and have complete use of the truck to go places in. I do not use my RV to travel to shows so I do not have a need to have a trailer attached to mine. For us, the traveling is not part of the vacation, but the destination is.

When I retire (at age 95) I will get a motorhome. When I no longer have a need to house 3 kids, the motorhome will make more sense to me. We will be able to tow a lightweight Jeep or or other vehicle to ride around in. At that point, the traveling will be as much the trip as the destination making a motorhome more desirable.

Finally, while I don't NEED an F250 diesel, I sure like it! The 5th wheel hitch can completely remove from my truck giving full access to the bed. I currently have a cap on the bed making it a HUGE station wagon. Being a diesel we get good economy, but it is more expensive to maintain.

When we camp I notice a lot of tow vehicles being work trucks. So for those people they just need to buy the RV and they're set. Motorhomes are generally for older couples who are in no hurry to get where they want to go and wish to enjoy the trip, or those who need to pull a trailer with a race car or tractors to events. Pop-up's for families who want more of a "roughing it" type of adventure, or can't tow, house or afford a larger camper. Bumper pull for those with larger families, who don't want a larger truck to pull, and 5th wheel's for more space and easier pulling but usually require a larger truck.

It's all how you are using it.

Oh, and for the record my truck is a 2003, and the camper a 2011, so they are not all new $70k trucks.

2011-07-01_08-35-12_244.jpg

can whlvr

one thing about the motor homes is you can get things from the fridge,make lunch,play cards at the table,etc when moving as when moving a trailer it is illegal and stupid to ride in the trailer while under tow

nylyon

Actually, in some states it IS legal to ride in 5th's and some in trailers.

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE HAD BOTH. THEY EACH HAVE THEIR OWN USES. IT IS WHAT EVER YOU LIKE.

Suburban 550

Our camper stays permanately at the campground, so when we had to replace our other one, we decided to go with a 41 ft. park trailer with 2 slideouts. Not a trailer you would want to pull around all the time, but it's like a home away from home.

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

• Like 1