Sign in to follow this  
Lane Ranger

Chevron Progard Techron Fuel Additive

Lane Ranger

I added some Chevron Progard small engine fuel additive with Techron to my gasoline for my Lawn Ranger L-157 last week and what a surprise this week!

My engine died out while mowing and I was not sure what was happening.

I had just put on a new Cole Hersee igniton switch (the original finally died) and I thought for awhile I was having electrical problems. Low and behold -after removing the sparkplug -the biggest loan of carbon black you ever saw emerged!

I replaced the plug and cleaned it out two more times after running the engine while parked.

I just wondered if anyone ever used a fuel additive for small engines before and experienced this type of problem. I watch my oil on my Tecumseh H60 6HP engine like a hawk but all the carbon was a surprise. B)

poodle

I run nothing but 93 in my tractors and in my plow/puller (1056) I run 93 with a bit of 104 0ctane booster. I haven't had a problem yet I personally think it runs better and gives be a better performance.I'm not saying its right but I do it and like the results it gives me hope this helps ?

oldandred

could it be the engine doesnt run full throttle all air cooled engines must run full throttle or the will load up carbon is a problem with low RPM

If I were you I would pull the head off and clean it up.

I never use addtives in the gas or oil it doesnt help small engines

good gas and oil change helps keep them running

and I have more than a few tractors

HorseFixer

The fuuel additive you are talking about breaks up carbon deposits. It very well could have did just that and fouled or started fouling the plug. :drool: That would be my guess. :omg:

bitten

Duke or anyone

Is that a bad thing or a good thing? I know that you dont want carbon buildup in a small engine(or any engine for that matter) But is this a way to remove it or would you be better off like old and red said and remove the head and clean it that way.

I also use the high octain gas as that is what Kohler recomends, but I know there is going to be build up.

If you remove the head and do it how offten should it be done? I usally dont run the Wheel Horses at full throttle except for tilling.

P.J.