Sign in to follow this  
fireinspect

compatable models

fireinspect

Hey I have a B-100 and i'm having a small electrical problem. I'm not sure if the rectifier/regulator got hot and melted the wiring conectors or if the wire just got hot? I have a few questions

a. where if any can i get my rectifier tested?

b. where is a good place to buy one that is not $125.00 as quoted at the local store ?

c. which models are compatable as far as inter-changing parts ?

d. where is a good place to buy the wire conectors / plug ?

e. is there a wiring diagram somewhere on the site for my model ?

sorry for my newbee questions, as stated I'm new to the Wheel Horse world, and I love it, a hard working tractor that cant be beat.

Thanks

Pat

Save Old Iron

Pat,

a few answers for you

Testing rectifiers - RR's can be "bench tested" but are best tested by their "live" performance on the tractor. The official RR tester costs over $100 and only tests at a very low charge current.

Good place to purchase new RR - eBay has several compatable models in the sub $30 range. There are also vendors on this site who will sell used RR units.

Compatability ? - on this style RR, compatability is usually correct size and correct amperage and correct pinout = correct RR unit. RR's of this style are compatable over different manufactuers (Deere, Allis, Case) RR's of the same physical size and pinout will be compatable in a wheelhorse system.

Wiring Connectors - most folks will discard the original style connector housing if melted and just use crimp on spade wiring terminals. Individual terminals will work fine. Useable RR's with erroded terminals can be repaired by soldering wires directly to the "stubs" left on the RR body.

Wiring Diagram - I don't have the manual drawing but here is an image I created to help visualize the way the wires are routed. The two terminals marked "AC" on the RR are interchangeable. Just connect the stator wires from the engine to either "AC" terminal.

click image to enlarge

47b14aef_zpsc3fd9a95.jpg

The wires / connector melting on the RR unit is typical of what corrosion in a high amperage circuit can facilitate. Instead of a clean, tight electrical connection passing current without heeat buildup, corrosion at the RR can cause heat to deveolp and be highly localized at the terminals on the RR unit. Hot terminals then melt the wires attached and the connector they are mounted in.

You may find attaching new terminals on the stator wires (coming from inside the engine) and a a new wire and terminals between the RR unit and the ignition switch may bring your current RR unit back to life. Make certain you also clean the 3 terminals on the RR too.

I have had success with saving RR's that have had their terminals completely eaten away by corrosion and heat. Next door neighbor on a fixed income brought me this one and didn't want to pay the $125 either. I sent this one back to him with NO CHARGE on the bill.

rIMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

• Like 1

rmaynard

b. where is a good place to buy one that is not $125.00 as quoted at the local store ?

A new regulator/rectifier is still available for under $40.00.

http://www.milfordpo...06-p/r10297.htm

Good luck!

Kelly

I have tested used ones for sale send me PM.

JimD

The wiring diagram can be found here...

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/modules.php?name=Docs&do=show_doc&id=114