Sign in to follow this  
SMITTY

312-8

SMITTY

Just found one for sale 200.00 with deck and blade. Anyone have concerns? Is that a Kohler?

dcrage

That would be a Kohler -- And the repeated testimonals on this board would indicate that the 312-8 is the "sweet spot" for the 300 series -- I just checked and the 312-8 was made for nearly the entire run of the 300, 400, 500 series -- So that tractor could be a 1985 model up to a 2001 model -- If the tractor is running; the deck is all there and functional with a "mule drive'; and the blade OK with the rear axle bracket for mounting; then $200 is a reasonable price

Irv

A great machine and a "great" price for it if it's running and in reasonable shape.

Wishin4a416

If it is in good shape you got a great deal. I wouldnt take a 800 for mine. I know I would not get it but it just does to much work for me to let go.

leeave96

I'm a little late to this one - but my thoughts are:

12 hp seems to be a very good engine across garden tractors, Wheelhorse, Cub Cadet, etc.

I'm not sure the extent, but some 312-8 tractors had 4 pinion tranny's (vs 8 pinion) and 1 inch axles (vs 1-1/8 inch). I don't consider these deal breakers unless you are pulling a moldboard plow - but then I've never used a 4 pinion/ 1 inch axle tractor for that purpose. I would say that the 4 pinion/ 1 inch axle is probably stronger than most any new garden tractor today - just not as heavy as the 8 pinion / 1-1/8 axles.

8 speed is great! Low range is very useful, even when mowing (in tight places).

The price is great - were I you, I'd buy it. Sounds like a good tractor and a good deal.

Good luck,

Bill

Wheel-N-It

See my avatar? Thats me on the 312-8speed I bought new in April of 1991. It tills, it mows, it pulls a driveway conditioner, and it's

been doing all that with 230 pounds of me sitting on top of it for 21 years. What else do you need to know???

If it runs and cuts grass................... buy it!

HankB

I hope you pulled the trigger on that one by now or it is probably already sold (unless it has something wrong.) I bought a setup like that a couple years ago ('85 312-8, 36" rear discharge deck and 42" blade) for $150. It needed a battery and throttle cable adjustment but was otherwise in reasonable shape. (Needs a paint job as well.) The seller told me he had wannabe buyers from adjacent states calling before I arrived to pick it up.

I don't think it is the ultimate WH (I have to reserve that title for my 314-H) but it is a great one. For the first year or two they used the Kohler K301 before they switched to the Kohler Magnum. (Mine has the K301.)

If you got it, check the shift boot and trans oil. Those go bad and allow water into the trans which results in trans oil that looks like a thick mocha latte. But you might have already run into that on your Charger.

SMITTY

The guy sold it before I could get there. Thought it might be Kelly but talked to him and said he didn't see the ad.

Wheel-N-It

Sorry you lost it Smitty. Better luck next time. But now you know something about 312's

Don't let the next one get away.