Sign in to follow this  
.5racer

Rusty Gas Tank

.5racer

This was not on a Tractor , but still might be usefull. Found that my gas tank rusted up on my rototiller and wouldn't run very well. Look into getting tank seal , was 48 $ a quart. So I took it to work and put small rocks in it and put it in the paint shaker,small 1/4 " and smaller rocks. Got about 90 % in the first 30 min. Tomarrow I'm going to give it another hour of this. Then I'll put 1 cup of muriatic acid and shake around, followed by vineger to nutralize then a cup of gas. Hopefullythe petro will keep it rust free. Anybody else got any rust inhibutor ( sorry spelling ) for tanks that aint big $$$$ !!!! THANKS

TT

One of these days I'm going to experiment with Iron Out powder. (mix it with water)

We use it in the dishwasher from time to time to get rid of the iron stains from the water. I doubt that it would do much on a tank that has a lot of scale and chunks of rust, but a handful of

.5racer

rocks worked , acid worked,even the fuel final rinse worked. Problem now is it flashed a thin film that appears to look like rust but rubs off is in there now. Thinking I need to wash it out better with brake cleaner maybe before using ,,,,any ideas ?

HorseFixer

One of these days I'm going to experiment with Iron Out powder. (mix it with water)

We use it in the dishwasher from time to time to get rid of the iron stains from the water. I doubt that it would do much on a tank that has a lot of scale and chunks of rust, but a handful of

.5racer

OK ,, What type stores would carry that ?

TT

I get it at Wal*Mart, Terry. It's usually around the cleaning supplies.

glenn27

If no other alternative---I have a link/supplier jotted down @ home--that makes a fuel tank repair.-coating .It's guarenteed--and a lot of old car restorer's use it. Not cheap--but would fix the insid eof several small tanks...

Let me know--I'll post it for you, if needed...

glenn

CasualObserver

I'm interested glenn.... please post it when you have a chance. B)

glenn27

Here you go: Look over on the right pull-down menu.....

http://www.hirschauto.com/

Buzz passed this on to me a while back----{I have not personally used it, but I intend to}..And a little pricey--but if it does the job (permanantly--then that's great!) B):whistle:

glenn

linen beige

Bill Hirsch has been supplying the world's top auto restoration shops for DECADES. That should say something about the quality of his products. I've never had to use his tank sealer, but all the other products I've gotten from him have been top notch. As for price, if you look at the ordering info, a gallon will treat a 100 gallon tank. This means a pint should do a dozen or so gallon tanks or half a dozen 2 gallon ones. At $18 a pint that equals $1.50-$3.00 a tank. Not bad. And the unused product doesn't harden in the can after it has been opened, meaning it can be used on another tank later. This is the only sealer approved for use in aircraft. That should show that it is in a class by itself.

Another approach would be to talk to a radiator repair shop. You may find one that will boil out the tank and resolder the joints and fill pinholes for a pretty decent fee.

.5racer

Update ,,, found that Oriely has RED KOTE for 21 $ a quart and that is the linning for tanks .. Roto done now on to the 200 series tank !!!!! Is now blast a derusted reddy to primer , inside coat , and final paint !!!!

rustbucket

POR-15 makes a tank kit as well as a cleaner that would work.