Sign in to follow this  
GerryL

short block for B&S in GT-1800?

GerryL

Hi! I've got a GT-1800 from the early to mid 80's. It's got a horizontal 18HP B&S, model 422437 Type 0663 01. I believe it has over 1800 hours on it, and as it was down on power I took it apart to find the valve stems worn right through the guides into the block. I've checked around a lot, and I'm coming up empty on this engine as far as parts availability. I seem to remember that only a year or two ago I saw some short blocks online for around $350. Does anyone know of any NOS suppliers that might have a short block?

Thanks!

-Gerry

TT

I haven't been able to find any leads on shortblocks for these engines in quite a while. The old opposed twin is now out of production and has been replaced by the Vanguard V twin. Parts production appears to have also ceased. B)

Tulsa engine warehouse does have a few complete engines in stock, but availablity is limited. They have different "type" numbers, but the crankshaft size appears correct. The bad part is the $1300 - $1500 price tag. B)

Sorry I can't be of more help, and :whistle: .

kadetklapp

Tagged for the engine info.

woodchuckfarmer

On E-Bay The Mans One Stop Shop has rebuild kits for these engines, its just a thought....good luck ...Wayne

Flatheadpuller

The block itself is the same between a horizontal and vertical. I know where there is a brand new block. Or there tons of verticals on mowers that can be had cheap. Just switch crank, side cover and dipper on the inside. And all the external parts.