Sign in to follow this  
bowtiebutler956

1944 Briggs Model N

bowtiebutler956

I got my new ID tag, and decals in the mail today, and WOW. :jaw: They look fantastic!! :woohoo: Here are a couple pics. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-91173700-1349127755_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-50007800-1349127776_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-35017000-1349127792_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-65104300-1349127808_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-65291600-1349127828_thumb.jp

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Although I'm still waiting on a couple parts to come in, I decided to mock the engine up so I could fit the fuel line, and check a couple other things. Thought I'd post a couple pics, to see what you guys think. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-22159200-1349309311_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-97803000-1349309326_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-11690900-1349309342_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-51060200-1349309355_thumb.jp

Martin

looking good matt. those id plates and the decals really finish it off.....

that chevy is bringing back some memories. i really liked the few 81-87 gm full size trucks i had.

also a 89 blazer and 90 suburban too......

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

looking good matt. those id plates and the decals really finish it off.....

that chevy is bringing back some memories. i really liked the few 81-87 gm full size trucks i had.

also a 89 blazer and 90 suburban too......

Thanks Martin. I've always been a sucker for these old Chevy trucks, and although its very neglected at the moment, this is my baby. She's a runner with a 383 stroker, with Scat forged rotating assembley, Manley forged pistons, Brodix IK200 heads, Lunati VooDoo series 292 cam, Edlebrock RPM Air Gap intake, Holley 800 DP Carb with a Proform main body, and the list goes on, and on. If I could get the transmission to stop exploding on me with its 3000rpm stall, and competion shift kit, I'd enjoy it a whole lot more! :banghead: I really should go with a THM400, but with 4.10 gears, the THM700r4's overdrive, and lockup make for a much nicer highway RPM.

I'm really enjoying seeing this little Briggs come together. :woohoo:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Engine looks like a work of art...who repops the ID tags Matt?

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Engine looks like a work of art...who repops the ID tags Matt?

Craig, It was done by a place called Yesterday's Rides Metalworks. They did a fantastic job. :thumbs:

MarkPalmer

I enjoy seeing the pictures of these :handgestures-thumbupright: I have a couple old worn cast iron Clintons I want to work on in the future perhaps just for show, and wondered if there is a method used to break new rings in on a re-bored cylinder when you don't have a way to put the engine under any load?

-Mark-

bowtiebutler956

I enjoy seeing the pictures of these :handgestures-thumbupright: I have a couple old worn cast iron Clintons I want to work on in the future perhaps just for show, and wondered if there is a method used to break new rings in on a re-bored cylinder when you don't have a way to put the engine under any load?

-Mark-

Mark, I can tell you how I've been doing it, but I'm sure many folks have opinions on this. As soon as I get them started, I run the idle speed screw way up, so they cant idle, I then adjust the main jet where they're running decent, then I proceed run the rpm's up, and down, holding it in each posision for a minute or two. I then let them run about 15 minutes varying the rpm once in awhile. So far its worked well for me. On one of my more recent engines, a 53 Briggs NP, it smoked just a little for about the first 2 or 3 minutes of break in, and has never smoked again since. :twocents-02cents:

bowtiebutler956

Well, its finished! :woohoo: This little engine runs fantastic, and I couldn't be happier with it. Here is a video, and a few pics. Thanks

http://youtu.be/Q--p_qa0DwI

post-6076-0-20164300-1349916786_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-49937200-1349916860_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-17625000-1349916874_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-51430600-1349916897_thumb.jp

groundhog47

Hef'll be wantin' that as a centerfold. Wow US HAD SOME TOUGH BUILT LITTLE ENGINES. Great job!

• Like 1

KATO

That looks AMAZING !!!!!

• Like 1

refracman

NIce job Matt! :bow-blue:

I am starting to get into them old briggs myself. I am hoping mine turn out that nice.

I have also used Will, a great guy to deal with and a wealth of informantion.

As for the ID plate, I need one for the ZZP I'm doing, how was Yesterday to deal with? Also who did the decals? they are nice.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

NIce job Matt! :bow-blue:

I am starting to get into them old briggs myself. I am hoping mine turn out that nice.

I have also used Will, a great guy to deal with and a wealth of informantion.

As for the ID plate, I need one for the ZZP I'm doing, how was Yesterday to deal with? Also who did the decals? they are nice.

Will is a nice guy, and he'll flat talk your ear off about these old Briggs engines. Yesterdays rides and metalworks are great people to deal with, and my tag was only $27 engraved. They're only $17 if you engrave it yourself. On your ZZP, is it an aluminum tag, or is it the old brass tag?

MarkPalmer

I have started working on my '46 Clinton 700A, and looking at its similarities to the Briggs N it's not hard to see why Clinton was sued by Briggs for a bunch of patent infringements. :angry-nono:

-Mark-

• Like 1

Cole

very nice engines my father thinks im crazy with all the engines i have he asks "what do you do with all those engines". and i reply i just run them for fun and to have something to tinker around with. :roll:

• Like 1

MarkPalmer

very nice engines my father thinks im crazy with all the engines i have he asks "what do you do with all those engines". and i reply i just run them for fun and to have something to tinker around with. :roll:

I'm the same way with friends and family constantly asking the same thing. It's something only engine fanatics understand and appreciate :) (Hey, I recon they have to be more interesting than collecting china figurines, right on!)

-Mark-

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

I'm the same way with friends and family constantly asking the same thing. It's something only engine fanatics understand and appreciate :) (Hey, I recon they have to be more interesting than collecting china figurines, right on!)

-Mark-

Hello, my name is Matt, and I'm an engineaholic, and its been 5 minutes since I played with my last stationary engine. :ROTF: I'm with you Cole, and Mark. I love these old engines, and they're alot more interesting than some of the things people collect. Its funny to me that people think its strange to have a bunch of old engines, but they think its perfectly normal to collect little pieces of paper with a baseball players face on it. At least I can go pull the rope, and my engines run! :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

Actually since we're talking about this hobby, I thought I'd show a couple more N's I'm working on. Actually one is complete. I have a bunch of these little engines, and I decided its time to at least get them fixed, and looking presentable. The 44 N in this thread had everything done right, and correct, but we can't spend the big bucks on all of them, so these are economy builds. The one in the pics that is complete (a1950 NP) was in great shape inside, so it just got a valve job, new crank seals, gaskets, a rattle can paint job, new cheaper decals (they look cheaper too) :banghead: , and I ordered a new ID tag as the original is in very poor shape. It runs fantastic, and doesn't smoke at all. :woohoo: The one in the pics that isn't complete (a 1949 N) got a hone job, and new rings, valves lapped, and a rattle can paint job. Its ID tag is still in ok shape, so I'll use it. It should be done very soon. I have a 52 NPR6 to start on, as soon as this one is done. Keep in mind that while these are all varitions of the model N, none of them are the same. Each is a different variation of the the same line. :hide: I know, I got it Bad! And yes, these pics were taken in my house, actually in my storage room. My wife is already complaining about the smell, but I like the smell of fresh paint, and gasoline! :ROTF:

post-6076-0-62026700-1350175092_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-95632600-1350175111_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-88026000-1350175129_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-93556400-1350175154_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-43963400-1350175203_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-79327200-1350175222_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-93923100-1350175264_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-88642400-1350175303_thumb.jp