Sign in to follow this  
gipster

416 purchase. Opinions on the 416H as an "only tractor"

gipster

Hi all, I am going to look at a 416 H this evening. This will be my first Hydro tractor. It is a low hour machine. Any thoughts on particular problems I should look for?  I am looking to downsize and have this as my only tractor. I mow and snowplow quite a bit in the winter. I currently use a C 175 to plow with. Will the 416 be as strong a machine?  Thanks in advance

kpinnc

Drive the 416 around for 30 mins and check that the hydro remains strong after warming up. If all else appears to be in good shape, you should be fine.

And yes, the 416-H is an excellent all-around machine. It should do all you need it to year round.

MarkPalmer

If your C175 has the Series II KT engine I can't see any strength or longevity advantages to the 416 myself. The small amount of additional engine power will get lost through the hydro when plowing. You open up *what can be* a service can of worms with the hydro and Onan engine also, the C175 I would imagine is easier all around to service. Now if your C175 has a Series I engine and is getting worn out, then the low hour 416 can be a good move.

-Mark-

Don1977

I would say that any Wheel Horse C-series, 300, 400,500 in good shape will make a good " only tractor". Horse Power is the only limiting factor and 16 will do anything that needs to be done.

Jim_M

I used a 416-H to mow and plow snow for at least 10 years. They're great tractors. The P216, 16 horse Onan does not have any where near the amount of valve seat failures as the P220, 20 horse Onan.

Like Kevin said, drive it, look it over closely and listen to it closely. If you're comfortable with it and buy it I think you'll be very happy with it.

• Like 1

JackC

I have both and agree with Mark's comments.

The C-175 Kohler and the 416 ONAN are very comparable machines in terms of the work they can do.

I prefer hydro over 8-speed.

I prefer the older single stick hydro versus the newer column stick.

I like the sound of the twin ONANs over the twin Kohlers.

Both are great machines.

If I could have only one it would be the 416H.

If I could keep both I would and split the work and have a backup when the carburetor gets crapped up which will happen at some point.

gipster

If your C175 has the Series II KT engine I can't see any strength or longevity advantages to the 416 myself. The small amount of additional engine power will get lost through the hydro when plowing. You open up *what can be* a service can of worms with the hydro and Onan engine also, the C175 I would imagine is easier all around to service. Now if your C175 has a Series I engine and is getting worn out, then the low hour 416 can be a good move.

-Mark-

My 175 is a series 1, though it seems to be in pretty good shape. Really wanted a hydro for snow plowing. When I found one with under 300 hrs, I thought id go for it.

nylyon

I've had my 416-H for 20 years next month. I have had a lot of issues:

1. Replaced spark plugs (twice)

2. 2 front tires (rears soon)

3. Screw fell off on the drive belt guard

4. Numerous air filters

5. Throttle cable

6. Mower deck belts needed replacement

7. Mower deck guage wheels replaced

8. Rear hitch bent when (successfully) pulling a tree stump out of the ground.

9. Carbutator required cleaning one time.

10. Seat has a slight tear

11. Had to replace 2 roll pins

Don't let anyone kid you, these are troublesome machines as you can clearly see by my long list of problems in the last 20 years, stay clear of them. By the way, where have you seen this for sale?

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

I've had my 416-H for 20 years next month. I have had a lot of issues:

1. Replaced spark plugs (twice)

2. 2 front tires (rears soon)

3. Screw fell off on the drive belt guard

4. Numerous air filters

5. Throttle cable

6. Mower deck belts needed replacement

7. Mower deck guage wheels replaced

8. Rear hitch bent when (successfully) pulling a tree stump out of the ground.

9. Carbutator required cleaning one time.

10. Seat has a slight tear

11. Had to replace 2 roll pins

Don't let anyone kid you, these are troublesome machines as you can clearly see by my long list of problems in the last 20 years, stay clear of them. By the way, where have you seen this for sale?

Ha,ha.I had to read your post 2 times.At first,I thought you were serious about having lots of problems.Good one........

gipster

So now another question. My two current tractors are a c 175 and a 416 -6. W a kohler magnum. I will sell one immediately which one should I keep?

Forest Road

Ill take the 416-8 off your hands.

nylyon

If it were me, I would keep the 416-8

• Like 1

gipster

I am leaning that way

JackC

I like the smoother running of a twin cylinder engine over a single cylinder.

There is nothing wrong with the KT17 Series I as long as it is not run on an incline.

On the other hand, the cast iron single cylinder Kohler 16 is probably one of the best engines ever made.

I assume i will not get much if I sell them so I keep them all.

If I don't have room inside, I just put a heavy duty tarp from Walmart over them and keep them outside.

varosd

go for it! the twin cylinder Onans are the smoothest, strongest engines...take care of them and you will love them. of course I'm also looking for the 16 hp powered WH like a C-160/161 too!!