Sign in to follow this  
Agage1

K141 ignition

Agage1

I just received a free k141 from an acquaintance of mine. It's a starter generator motor and it looks clean and well cared for. I'm no expert on these motors by any means but this one is different than my other ones. It has no exposed coil and condenser like my k181. The guy I got it from said they were behind the flywheel. My problem is I can't seem to wire the ignition right to get it started on the bench. There is one wire coming from the flywheel that goes to the points. From the the points there is another wire labeled ground. This is different from what I've seen on my other motors, where does the coil get power? I grounded the wire from the points like it was labeled And ran a lead to the starter gen and I got no spark. The starter turned great. The only time I can a spark is when I run power to the wire coming from the points and even then it's only one spark when I first make contact with the battery. If this sounds familiar to someone please fill me in. I would think there needs to be 2 wires coming from the coil or is this motor different?

sorekiwi

Sound like your Kohler has a magneto behind the flywheel.

In which case the ignition is self energising - you dont need to supply it with battery volyage at all. To kill the spark on a magneto ignition you have to ground the points, which is what the ground wire coming from the points is for. When this wire is not grounded, you should have spark.

This is also why a magneto powered tractor needs a different ignition switch - you need one that will ground the points when you turn it off, as opposed to one that will power the coil when you turn it on.

Agage1

Makes sense thanks. This is the first one of these I tinkered with and it didn't come with a switch i was using one from my parts tractor.

stevebo

Old thread here but I am having the same issue. Have a k141 that has a lead coming from behind flywheel to the points and another one coming out the other side from behind the flywheel that I have no idea what it connects to. When I run hot lead to the starter generator bypassing the terminals and direct to the stud it turns over and has spark at the plug but will not fire. I am confused... No coil and no condensor. ,,,

wallfish

Magneto ignition under the flywheel and the wire is the shut down?

stevebo

John,

Not sure what the other wire is or why this motor will not fire. One wire goes to the points and the other comes out the other side of bearing plate with a female spade connector. Any thoughts? Could that be a ground?

wallfish

Points wire comes from the coil. That other wire should be a shut down when grounded. Same idea as a Tecumseh engine.

I've had a plug that would fire spark when sitting on the head to test but no spark when installed and under compression with fuel. Drove me nuts until I changed the plug.

To verify that wire is the shut down since you see spark, ground it while cranking the engine and the spark should stop.

Make sure there's a flywheel key because that times the spark and then the points will fine tune it.

Condenser?

Put a little fuel directly into the plug hole, replace the plug and try it

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

stevebo

Thanks John- Going to give it a try with different plug and that wire ground. 

woodchuckfarmer

My k91 has the condenser under the flywheel. I think the141 is the same.