Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsejoe

Orange Peel

wheelhorsejoe

Hi, I was looking for a little help, I painted my tractor with Valspar IH red one day ago, I noticed some orange peel in it. I was wondering if I could sand it down and buff it out,or leave it alone. Thanks Joe

Ken B

Technically yes you can. But if you aren't experienced at doing this you might only make things worse. Do a search under restorations, this has been talked about quite a few times.

squonk

If you insist on doing it make sure the paint is rock hard before you do. I've only sanded and buffed base coat /clear coat paint. It's ready to color sand in only a couple of days. The Valspar enamel will take longer to cure. I start out with 1200 grit in one direction, go to 1500 in opposite direction,buff with 3M microfinish compound and then use swirl remover to get the buffer marks out

Kelly

I have buffed Valspar, and I'm a body man with 30 years experience, it is not easy to get good results, I used 2000 grit, with LOTS of water, in fact I had the water hose run right on top of the hood turned down low with a rag wrapped around the metal end of the hose, use very light pressure, do small circles, and check your paper often to be sure you don't have any build up that will act like a stone and put deep scratches you will never get out, then wipe the surface off to see if any shinny spots are left, stay away for edges or any corners in fact get some painters tape and run tape on all edges about 1/2" out on to the paint, including the sharp bends in the hood and all corners if you look they probably don't have any orange peel anyway, then do your sanding, leave the tape on and wheel it, I my self use a wool pad for the old enamel, I've tried foam pads with little success, they will make it shine but not take the scratches out, oh ya run the buffer on low speed and don't stay in one spot very long you can heat the fresh paint up and move it or burn it very very easy, not sure what your using for a buffer? I know most people are not going to have a true paint buffer, mine cost $450 15 years ago, also don't push let the buffer glide over the paint you will have to apply light pressure but pushing it in to the paint will probably mean a repaint, clean the buffer head often, you probably do not have a spur to clean the wool head so turn the buffer so the motor is against your leg and turn on see what way the head is turning and take a large open ended wrench on a angle stick the open end in to the buffer head as the head turns away from you, run it from the center to the outer edge a few times that will clean the head of compound to has built up on it, my self I use med cut compound to start then fine cut, then a swirl remover, I have wet sanded and polished Valspar in 3 days but it was a very light touch, but if you have never buffed fresh paint I'd wait about 3-4 weeks till it is harder, buffing the paint can be costly also wet dry paper good stuff is about $2 a sheet, buy two sheets, good machine buffing compound I use 3M small bottle is about $30 a bottle, good wool pad I think is about $10-15 not sure I take care of mine and have used the same pad for years, roll of good painters tape 3/4" wide about $3 speaking of tape when you get the shine you like and the sand scratches are gone you can pull the tape and use the swirl remover but still stay off the edges, the corners turn the buffer down VERY slow and go over them, watch what way the buffer is turning and don't dig it in to the paint, I hope this helps, I could have showed you how to buff paint faster than it took me to type this.

Shuboxlover

I've seen Kelly's work in person.....he can paint ANYTHING of mine anytime!!!!!!!!!!!! He does FANTASTIC work!!!!!!!!!

wheelhorsejoe

Thanks guys, I think that I will leave it that way till summer, then when it is good and hard I will attempt to follow you direction. Thanks Again