Sign in to follow this  
Matt71

551 almost done

Matt71

im almost finished restoring my 551, i need to order my stickers and finish rebuilding the motor. im using my honda motor till i can finish the rebuild then ill swap the hood stand with the one i have that hasnt been cut. ill also need to find or fabricate a few items heat sheild, belt gaurd, plow mounting bracket, key switch and choke & throttle. anyway all in good time i guess. Hope you all like it. post-4727-0-72470400-1347499080_thumb.jp

• Like 3

312Hydro

Looks great and the Honda blends right in! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

AMC RULES

Yep, that's a nice one. :thumbs:

Matt71

i got a question, should the seat be almond? Ive seen it done but were they almond when they were new?

MR49

Looks Great! Good work Matt71 :handgestures-thumbup:

neil

great job

That engine fits just nice under the hood

Quite like the red seat

Coadster32

Looks good. Seems like you have the patience for the parts .Good for you. Yes, the seat should match the color of the rims...but all in good time. The Honda looks pretty good under there also. (less of a nut-roaster)

Jake Kuhn

Looks very nice! :bow-blue: Can't wait to see it with the decals installed! ~Jake

Matt71

Thanks guys, and i must agree the honda is less of a nut roaster. i also like the red seat but im gonna have to go with the almond if thats the color its supposed to be. can any one tell me wich motor came with these origonally? When i bought it it had a tecumseh h70 that i beleive is a snow blower engine. ive seen some with a lauson 5.5 and others with kholers or tecumsehs. The gas tank had a 4 hp sticker on it, was the origonal motor a four hp? I would like to eventually get it back to origonal condition so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jake Kuhn

Your tractor should have a 5.5 hp lauson. A 401 came with a 4 hp kohler, but they have a different trans. If you don't have an engine you will have much better luck with a kohler, but a tecumseh is what it came with originally. ~Jake

Matt71

Thanks for the info Jake, I do have a tecumseh that im rebuiling but i will also keep my eye out for a lauson 5.5 i see them every now an again on craigslist. i would also like to make it an electric start at some point, i can with the tecumseh but its the plug in type i would prefer battery start.