Sign in to follow this  
privateer

C-165 engine vibration iso rubber engine mounts?

privateer

Decided to fire up and run the C-165 the other day to get her ready for winter plow duty and it had a noticable vibration. I took a look at what's left of the rubber motor mounts. Cracked and/or missing. Anyone know where I can pick up new rubber mounts or suggestions for a fix. Can i use shock absorber mounts as a replacement?

Also, the snow blade could use some new rubber? I believe its a 48" rear mount. Any suggestion on part number or where I can buy a replacement?

Thanks everyone!

Rich

rmaynard

I believe that the engine mounts are still available from Toro, part number 108309, for about $21.11 each. Not sure what "rubber" you are referring to for the snow blade.

tunahead72

I ran across an older thread here a while ago while I was thinking about replacing the mounts on my C-105, might give you some ideas:

As long as we're on the subject, a question for anybody who's actually replaced their mounts...

What's the proper way to remove the old mounts and install new ones? Is it necessary to remove the engine mounting blocks, or is it just a straightforward matter of removing the bolt/washer from the center of each mount, then the nuts/bolts attaching the mounts to the engine cradle? Any other tips?

joel_400

On my pulling tractor I made steel blocks out of 1/2" plate to fit in place of the rubbers. Just drilled and tapped to bolt onto the cradle with 1/4 bolts then drilled a 3/8 hole to bolt em down to the cast bars on the frame. worked perfect and i will never have to replace worn out rubbers again!

Joel

• Like 1

Martin

it can be done without removing the engine mount blocks. wedge the engine plate up off the frame after removing the center bolts on the mounts. i did the fronts first and then the backs. i guess you could do them all at once, but i felt better still having the motor held in place a little while working on them. i did them on my c125 after painting and assembling everything and managed to not scratch or damage the paint. it was easy enough to do.....

oh, i thought about doing it on the cheap, trying to fix the old ones, or finding alternative mounts, but in the end it was just easier to purchase them new. i got them for $20 something each, so even with tax was still under $90. and they work exactly as they should work......

• Like 1

privateer

Thanks for the link and part #.

My plow blade has rubber sandwiched between the wear bar and the plow. The heavy duty rubber makes contact with the driveway. I read somewhere that folks suggested using a horse mat and cut to width as a replacement. is there a toro replacement part number for this item?

Thanks

546cowboy

I have about 6 or 7 snow blades around here and none have any rubber. I have never seen one with rubber there so I suspect at some time a PO thought that was a good idea he saw somewhere. I could see how that would be nice if you had a paved driveway or for concrete like sidewalks. The plow wouldn't tear up the surface that way. Some industrial belt material would work great for that.

SousaKerry

I personally would use UHMW plastic or even Teflon if you can find it, They are both white in their raw form and will not leave "embarrassing streaks" :ychain: :ychain:

• Like 1

rmaynard

I have a 48" plow on the front of my B-100. It does not have any rubber. The steel edge pushes the snow just fine on my paved driveway without leaving any marks. The chains on the other hand leave a nice pattern.

Keith

Try McMaster-Carr

Racinbob

I always called those 'wobbly mounts'. I never liked them or understood why they did that. They caused more felt and seen vibration than solid mounted engines. You can replace them with solid spacers or do what I did. I installed an oil pan from a non-'wobbly mount' engine and things bolted back up perfectly.

JackC

From my post on the engine forum today:

"Not that this is a deciding factor, but I am finding more worn hood hinges on the solid mount tractors compared to the cradle mount engine tractors. I have had to replaced the hood hinges on two solid mount tractors but none on the cradle mount tractors. The cradle with the rubber isolation bushings does appear to reduce vibration to the rest of the machine."

Racinbob

That could be JackC but I never noticed my hood mounts wearing. The main thing I didn't like was when the engine was shut off it shook fairly violently just before it came to a complete stop. Another plus for me was that the oil pan for the solid mount gave it a 2 quart capacity but the vibe mount was only 1 1/2 quarts. That was with the big block K series.

tunahead72

"Not that this is a deciding factor, but I am finding more worn hood hinges on the solid mount tractors compared to the cradle mount engine tractors. I have had to replaced the hood hinges on two solid mount tractors but none on the cradle mount tractors. The cradle with the rubber isolation bushings does appear to reduce vibration to the rest of the machine."

Same hinge design, or different? :dunno:

JackC

Same hinge design, or different? :dunno:

The hinges I replaced were on a 1996 314H and a 1991 416 H. I believe the hinges are lighter and cheaper than the ones used on older tractors because the part numbers are different. I also had to replace the front tachamatic bracket on the front of the 1996 314H because the hinge holes were also badly worn. The tractor had the solid mount Kohler Magnum 14 with 1,026 hours on the machine. The rest of the machine was in fantastic condition and the PO took great care of it.

JackC

This is the 314H I was referring to:

Stigian

I replace the very worn rubber mounts on my Raider 10 (with a C-121 engine fitted) with some ally mounts I turned on the lathe...

Best move I could of made.. No longer do my teeth and the hood rattle in time with each other, it feels like a new Wh :handgestures-thumbup:

EM3.jpg

EM5.jpg

• Like 3

cschannuth
On October 15, 2012 at 0:52 PM, Stigian said:

I replace the very worn rubber mounts on my Raider 10 (with a C-121 engine fitted) with some ally mounts I turned on the lathe...

Best move I could of made.. No longer do my teeth and the hood rattle in time with each other, it feels like a new Wh :handgestures-thumbup:

EM3.jpg

EM5.jpg

You don't sell these do you?  I'd love to have a set. Thanks. 

• Like 1