Sign in to follow this  
ww2imposter

Opinions on this tractor

ww2imposter

NTX

VinsRJ

I don't think you can post CL ads, just info for you.

Next, although the 500 Special was a one year only model, it would need to be plated in 24K Gold at that price.

Just my opinion, LOL!

whfan74

Race car drivers did not drive these machines and not all of them were at the race track. They also weren't used in the pits from my understanding. Tractors like the Electro's were used in that manner.

The one lap race was performed on these tractors as a marketing ploy. They were driven by radio personalities, celebrities, and those from corporate. Individual dealers would sponsor a tractor and would have the opportunity to buy the tractor after the race.

Problem is once they were out of sight people would reach around and mess with the governor and many came back a little worse for the wear.

Plus at that price...........WOW! I have owned 4 of them in the past........what was I thinking I should have sold them for more! :ychain:

ww2imposter

Thanks for the info. F.Y.I..........I wasn't promoting this ad, just looking for info/opinions

SousaKerry

Special Addition

Apparently they were also an adding machine :ROTF: :ROTF:

If you look carefully at the pictures you will notice that they are all hydros. Some will tell you that the 500 specials never even saw the Indy track.

And it is far from mint as well, dash plate painted over wrong seat just to name a few. My opinion some jerk trying to make a fast buck cause it says Indy on the side

VinsRJ

If you look carefully at the pictures you will notice that they are all hydros. Some will tell you that the 500 specials never even saw the Indy track.

Am I reading your statement wrong? The 500 Special was not a hydro, it was based on the Commando 8 of the year.

Coadster32

Not worth the money....for certain. Quite a sales pitch..."own a peice of history". Don't take this bait.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Way too much money. :twocents-twocents:

Wheel Horse Kid

WAY overpriced in my opinion!

Kelly

To my knowledge the Indy 500 special was a promotion tractor and was never used there, there are promo shots of one at the track but none showing it being used.

I own one of the tractors that was used at the 68 Indy 500, I don't have documentation but it is the correct tractor, with the orig. white wall tires, I know of one more tractor that is the correct model with the white wall tires and I've seen two other sets of the tires one set is in the top of my barn, the other set sold on ebay about 2 years ago for good money.

Mine has had hyd lift added and a PTO set up, the wrong seat and the stripes on the hood have been removed but in one or two spots you can see where they were.

100_0295.jpg

Close up of one of the tires

100_2080.jpg

pics from the 68 indy 500

Wheelhorsewhitewalls_1.jpg

Wheelhorsewhitewalls_2-1.jpg

• Like 3