Sign in to follow this  
kicked by a horse

first horse (d 160) needs some toys

kicked by a horse

Hey there,

So I am new to this world, just picked up my first horse last week. I was looking on craigslist for a few months for a garden tractor of some sort. I knew enough to stay away from box store junk and wanted something old, and saw all the different brands that were being listed and started researching each type and i remember wheelhorse being one of them. Then last week on the side of the road a few blocks from me I see this machine for sale (it was not listed on craigslist, score!). I pulled over and there is a wheelhorse. I didnt know anything other then remembering people seeming to think the brand is reliable. This particular machine did not have any attachments other then the mower deck and so was not exactly what i was looking for. But it looked so dam impressive, and the seller was reliable that I just had to get it. So now I have this tractor that needs to be put to work doing more then just cutting grass. My particular needs are a grading blade for the driveway and a snowblower attachment.

Here is the ID number 81-160 so1 04413

Can anyone tell me what attachments are available for this machine?

As i mentioned i am in need of a machine that can blow snow on a long unpaved driveway. I am not apposed to geting a second dedicated snowblowing machine. If i need to do that, any suggestions for the best wheelhorse snowblowing set up?

Thanks all, i put a couple pictures in gallery under my user name and will add a few more

312Hydro

:WRS: Take a look in the implements section. You will see the different attachments and you can also see attachments that others have made.There is a rather exclusive club (Dysfunctional "D") that you now belong to! Those guys will treat ya right. Always liked those "D"s!

KC9KAS

First of all, Welcome to Red Square!

Once you get your 1st Wheel Horse, you have "been bitten", and you will start looking for more WH's and attachments....see you are looking for attachments already!

Just keep watching and asking questions on this forum. Many of the people on here know more about Wheel Horse Tractors than some of the dealers!

AMC RULES

If you do get another one, be forewarned...they multiply like rabbits.

Whether seperated, or not.

:WRS:

Sparky

It aint a snow-chucker but we do have a plow in our classified section right here on Redsquare.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/item/1468-d-series-snow-plow-56w-x-20h/

Mike............

Trouty56

Hey there "Kicked",

The 'D's' are big and clumsy but sitting on that sucker driving it with that big hood is just too cool!!! As far as attachments and addons......a 48" mower deck (I use it on my C160 now), a 54" push blade, and a 48" thrower (new to me this year). Got a set of 12" wheels with chains and a set of 15" wheels with cast iron weights. There is a 3pt on the rear and a pto shaft. I have no attachments for the rear except an A frame draw bar and a 200 lb weight barrel for traction in the winter but I have access to a tiller, rear forks, and a Woods bush hog, I can't afford much more and don't have the room for any more D stuff. It just takes up too much room....lol

1maidenfan

If you do get another one, be forewarned...they multiply like rabbits.

:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
  • Like 1

1maidenfan

:techie-ebay: (ebay) is also a good place to find attachments, craigslist too!

I have 3 D's and alot of attachments, they are great machines. Haven't found anything mine hasn't been able to do...yet.

Good luck, keep an eye out, the attachments are out their.

A front loader and backhoe are also availabe but VERY hard to find.

1maidenfan

FYI

Snow blower for your D on ebay in the new hampshire area.

Jake Kuhn

kicked by a horse

This is a great place, i have already been poking around finding lots of good info. Glad to hear i landed with the Dysfunctional crowd, thats my kind of folks!

When i hear exclusive, i think expensive!

Ill follow up on the blower on ebay, can anyone comment on how the blower performs, i assume its a single stage, does that matter given how big this is?

My driveway is about 250 feet, unpaved, not much slope, but we do get wet heavy snow here.

tommyg

Sounds like you've got the driveway for one! I had a chance at picking up a snowblower for my D about a year ago. When I saw it in person, I decided against it at the time. That sucker was huge! My drive is only about 50 ft. long. I settled for a blade instead. After thinking about it, if the price is right and I don't have to travel loo far to get it, I think I want one just because. I could always do the neighbor's drive as well to justify it. The 60" finish mower has caught my eye as well. Who knows. I did find a grader blade on CL that I'm gonna restore soon. And like Rich said, there a quite a few Dysfunctional D owners here on RS who REALLY know their stuff. If they can talk me through rebuilding a hydro motor, they can help with anything!

JamesBe1

Welcome to the board Kicked!

Feel free to ask any questions, there is a wealth of knowledge here (excepting myself of course ;) )

Craig is right, they tend to multiply if you aren't careful. I am working on my second at the moment.

james

kicked by a horse

UPDATE

Well its been a productive few months. My first find was the snowblower, it was complete and in reasonable shape. I currently have it in a few parts, cleaning and putting on a fresh coat of paint on the surfaces that contact snow, in an effort to keep the wet snow from building up.

Next came the plow blade, or as i like to call it, bulldozer. It can really move some dirt! The blade has been modified, the index pin that retracts to adjusts the angle of the blade was broken and metal tabs were welded on both sides of the chanel assembly to keep the plade pointing forward. I replaced the index pin and am thinking of cutting the tabs off to regain the adjustability for the blade. Can anyone comment on if the pins break frequently? It seems like it could take a lot of the force from the plow.

Then came the 3 point hitch, the rear pto and a tiller. They are all complete and look to be in good order, although i do need to find a lift lever for the dash to operate the 3 point. I installed the 3 point, but have not tried it out yet, without the lever. I was wondering if i will need to add additional fluid for the second cylinder, i just attached it as is with whatever fluid was in it. The manual did not seem to address this.

Just starting to install the pto now and doubt ill try out the tiller before winter.

Everyone I have come into contact has been reasonable and its great to be able to track down all the manuals. the next project is a carb cleaning and new air and fuel filters as when she starts up, will only run for a few seconds and then dies. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated I have not been able to find the engine manual for the twin automatic onan with sundstrand transmission if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I also posted pics of all in an album with my username. Now if only i could find that mid mound grader blade!

Trouty56

Man have you been busy....I guess the second cylinder will take some fluid but after you work it a little check the level in the tranny. If there is not a manual in the files section for the Onan then check their website for one.

Tankman

This is a great place, i have already been poking around finding lots of good info. Glad to hear i landed with the Dysfunctional crowd, thats my kind of folks!

When i hear exclusive, i think expensive!

Ill follow up on the blower on ebay, can anyone comment on how the blower performs, i assume its a single stage, does that matter given how big this is?

My driveway is about 250 feet, unpaved, not much slope, but we do get wet heavy snow here.

Great Stallion! Be sure to check Yahoo Groups, Wheel Horse. All the manuals you could possibly need for download.

can whlvr

boy you have been busy,you are lucky to find all that stuff so quickly,up here in ontario the d,s werent popular,ive only seen 2 in my whole life in person

• Like 1

1maidenfan

boy you have been busy,you are lucky to find all that stuff so quickly,up here in ontario the d,s werent popular,ive only seen 2 in my whole life in person

Have to remember though, he is located out on the EAST coast and it seams like MOST of the wheel horse tractors have migrated east.... :confusion-shrug::confusion-seeingstars: :confusion-confused:

kicked by a horse

I guess I have been busy. Yes i have been fortunate, have not had to drive more then an hour and a half on any trip to track it all down. I guess it dont hurt that i have somewhat obsessively been searching for anything i can find since shortly after i got this rig!