Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsejoe

Spray gun for Painting

wheelhorsejoe

Hi, Just wondering what is the bestway to paint my WH HVLP gun or siphon gun?

Kelly

HVLP, I have painted in bodyshops for years, I don't any more I only do body work no painting at work, but I have bought a couple of the purple HVLP guns from Harbor freight I got them on sale for I think $9 each, and used them at home, I like how they work for a cheap gun, not sure I'd do a nice car with one, but for these tractors and solid colors they work good, I did spray some metalic color with one, it did ok, the tip is not right but did the job.

squonk

This is what I use. Works awesome! :thumbs:

http://www.tptools.com/p/2994,59_Showtime-90-HVLP-Turbine-Unit-with-ProLine-Paint-Spray-Gun.html

Coadster32

We got slow at work and I started painting some of our machinery equipment, (machinist here). We splurged on a $100 hvlp husky pro home depot gun. This thing works great. We had a siphon gun, but just can't articulae it very well, and had a hard time getting even coverage especially near the floor. HVLP gun took care of that, and is the way to go in my book.

546cowboy

I have been using those spray guns from Harbor Freight for years now. I mostly use the HVLP touch up gun for the Horses because you can get it in where you want the paint to go. I do use the bigger 20 oz. on bigger tractors and hoods and seat pans though. They are a nice gun for the money. That 20 oz gun is on sale most of the time for $20.

wheelhorsejoe

Thanks Guys, I am going to buy a Habor Freight special and try it. Are their any secrets to a nice job without getting orange peel?

Kelly

Mixing your paint correctly, and practice, it's a art to do it right some have it some don't.

squonk

My TIP turbine can be dialed in to spray a dot about the size of a quarter. Need to get the paint good and wet but not to wet to eliminate orange peel. If you use a basecoat/clearcoat system after the clear dries(depending on brand) you can wet sand and polish the clear to remove any orange peel. BC/CC dries a lot faster than enamel

wheelhorsejoe

I am going to be using Valspar Tractor paint, thining with Naptha Vm&P. I have used a Siphon gun before and had great paint jobs. But It will be my first attempt with a HVLP gun.

Save Old Iron

Thanks Guys, I am going to buy a Habor Freight special and try it. Are their any secrets to a nice job without getting orange peel?

The HF HVLP are great guns but they are assembled in a very sloppy fashion. All threaded joints are sealed with teflon based adhesive. The adhesive is overloaded on some joints and can block off passageways within the gun's nozzle leading to an uneven spray pattern. EVERY SINGLE HF GUN I purchased in the last 2 years has (had) this issue. Spending about an hour dis-assembling the new gun and cleaning up any gobs of sealant will lead to a better operating gun. Also be aware the guns consume much more airflow than a siphon - so smaller sized compressors that worked well with a pressure gun may not work as well with an HVLP setup.