Sign in to follow this  
Short Circuit

Hydrostatic speed control lever modification

Short Circuit

GREETINGS ALL,

I HAVE A 1973 14 AUTOMATIC I RECENTLY PURCHASED. WHILE I WAS LOOKING FOR A TRACTOR TO BUY, I CHECKED OUT A C-120 WHICH HAS THE SPEED CONTROL LEVER ON THE UPPER RIGHT SIDE OF THE TRACTOR WHICH WAS VERY HANDY. THE 14 AUTOMATIC CONTROL LEVER IS DOWN AND CENTERED OVER THE TRANSMISSION IN THE USUAL SHIFT LEVER POSITION BETWEEN YOUR LEGS, WHICH IS NOT SO HANDY.

HAS ANYONE EVER INSTALLED THE C-120 CONTROL LEVER MECHANISM IN PLACE OF THE CENTER CONTROL LEVER MECHANISM ON A TRACTOR, SUCH AS MY 14 AUTOMATIC?

IF SO, HOW DIFFICULT WAS IT, AND CAN STOCK PARTS BE SWAPPED OUT WITHOUT MODIFICATIONS?

THANKS.

sorekiwi

Nope, but I am currently swapping the other way on a 1276!!

My first Wheel Horse was a 14 Auto which had the shifter between my legs. I used that for 5 years before getting my second Horse, so thats probably why I like that arrangement better.

My reason for swapping on the 1276 is that it is (probably) going to become a loader tractor that has the loader controls on the right hand side. as such I want to be able to control the hydro with my left hand, and the loader with my right.

When I used my 1276 with a snow plow on it, I was always grabbing the wrong lever and I found that extremely frustrating.

The right side lever is a lot simpler than the "between your legs" setup, a lot less stuff to get out of adjustment. The simpler setup is probably why Wheel Horse went away from the central shifter on their later model tractors.

If thats what you like, then I say go for it!

3609horse

Iswapped out the center shifter in my c120 and used parts from a charger 9. Everything just unbolted and new parts from donnor tractor

went right in. Here are a couple of pics

post-6058-0-52349100-1346546999_thumb.jp

post-6058-0-79162200-1346547128_thumb.jp

Alan_Heist

I have the Charger 12 and like the setup on the right, instead of between the legs like you have. As such, I would recommend the conversion, especially if it is a bolt-in job like 3609 was able to do.

sorekiwi... why convert to any hand control if you are thinking of making it a loader... why not make a foot control for speed control so that you have have both hands free for steering and working the loader controls?