Lane Ranger

Hein Werner Hydraulic Pump - Good Source for Rare Parts

Lane Ranger

Red Square Members:

FYI

I just ordered a Hein Werner # 4837 standing return spring for a restoration on my very old 953 hydraulic pump.

102_0325.jpg

100_0621-1.jpg

100_0624-1.jpg

These springs were used in a lot of the early Wheel Horse hydrualic pumps made by Hein-Werner.

Norm Steinman in Bourbon, Indiana , a former Wheel Horse dealer (who was also on the Wheel Horse company dealer's council in the 1970's) sells these springs.

100_7464.jpg

He also sells these springs (# 5261 ) which are in later model pumps used on the 1054 and 1054-A.

102_0324.jpg

Norm also has the Hydraulic Pump Part #5265 , seven tooth, Gear and Bearing Assembly for the Hein-Werner pumps.

I have purchased other parts from him including the Wheel Horse RJ and Suburban Part # 3588 Exhaust Heat Shield and they are well made reproducitons of the originals.

Norm Steinman

Norms Toys

212 South Main Street

Bourbon, Indiana 46504

Day Telephone 1-574-342-4545

Evening: 1-574-342-4668

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-goodpost: :text-thankyoublue:

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Thanks for all the info! How much does he sell the repro heat shields for? Jake

Lane Ranger

Jake: Anyone interested in items Norm Steinman sells should contact Norm about prices and shipping costs for any of his stuff.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Thanks for the connection Lane, finally got that elusive, early stand up spring on it's way today.

Norm said he has them made locally, so they're always in stock...and has had 'em for over thirty years.

Also, he's got the later style spring available too, and the big(o-ring)seal for the can if anyone is ever in need.

Another pleasent guy to talk :wh: with, give Norm a call. :)

AMC RULES

Thanks Lane, you're the best. :thumbs: :thumbs:

post-3498-0-02828900-1346802370_thumb.jp

• Like 1

normtoys

we make other rare parts also just ask???? 1-574-342-4545

• Like 1

coldone

we make other rare parts also just ask???? 1-574-342-4545

Got any sundstrand parts?

Mogracer

Norm sold his shop five years ago and has nothing for these pumps

953 nut
31 minutes ago, Mogracer said:

Norm sold his shop five years ago and has nothing for these pumps

https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/            Lowell has all the parts you will need.

:WRS:

• Like 3

Herder

Good to know. Thanks. Do you happen to know if he supplies rebuild kits for the lift cylinders? 

Lane Ranger

I think  Lowell S.   (wheelhorseman100) sells them and rebuilds them.   Check him out in the Vendors section.

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, Herder said:

Good to know. Thanks. Do you happen to know if he supplies rebuild kits for the lift cylinders? 

If you open the link I provided it will show you all the kits and services he has including rebuilding the cylinders.

Wheel Horse Hydraulic Lift Cylinder Seal Kit

Hydrostatic Transmission Axle Seal  # 5958/100607

$17.00
$4.65

Hydrostatic Transmission Axle Seal # 6449

Wheel Horse GT 14 Hydraulic Hoses

$5.69
$110.00

Cub Cadet Bolens Ford Jacobsen Hein Werner Hydraulic Pump Spring

Cub Cadet Bolens Ford Jacobsen Hein Werner Hydraulic Pump Seal Kit

$23.00
$33.95

Wheel Horse Replacement Cylinder Hydraulic Hoses OR2

Toro Wheel Horse 1054 HY Pump Seal Kit and Spring

$55.00
$65.00

Wheel Horse 1054 spring

Wheel Horse Replacement Cylinder Hydraulic Hoses OR 1

$23.00
$55.00

Welded cylinder repair

Control valve seals #7788 for HY - 6

View as:
Grid
List
Table
Sort by
Date addedPrice: low to highPrice: high to lowName: A to ZName: Z to A
« Previous | Page: 12

$57.00
$12.00

• Excellent 2

WHX??

He also has replacement gear rotors for these gems. Tell him you live in WI and want the cheesehead discount....he's not very bright and may not even notice  your ship to is AK! His wife kinda wears the pants in the family! :ychain:

Edited by WHX17
  • Haha 1

Herder
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:

If you open the link I provided it will show you all the kits and services he has including rebuilding the cylinders.

Wheel Horse Hydraulic Lift Cylinder Seal Kit

Hydrostatic Transmission Axle Seal  # 5958/100607

$17.00
$4.65

Hydrostatic Transmission Axle Seal # 6449

Wheel Horse GT 14 Hydraulic Hoses

$5.69
$110.00

Cub Cadet Bolens Ford Jacobsen Hein Werner Hydraulic Pump Spring

Cub Cadet Bolens Ford Jacobsen Hein Werner Hydraulic Pump Seal Kit

$23.00
$33.95

Wheel Horse Replacement Cylinder Hydraulic Hoses OR2

Toro Wheel Horse 1054 HY Pump Seal Kit and Spring

$55.00
$65.00

Wheel Horse 1054 spring

Wheel Horse Replacement Cylinder Hydraulic Hoses OR 1

$23.00
$55.00

Welded cylinder repair

Control valve seals #7788 for HY - 6

View as:
Grid
List
Table
Sort by
Date addedPrice: low to highPrice: high to lowName: A to ZName: Z to A
« Previous | Page: 12

$57.00
$12.00

Thank you.

• Like 1

wheelhorseman
5 hours ago, WHX17 said:

He also has replacement gear rotors for these gems. Tell him you live in WI and want the cheesehead discount....he's not very bright and may not even notice  your ship to is AK! His wife kinda wears the pants in the family! :ychain:

:text-lol: Jim, I can see the long term affects of inhaling R-12 are starting to kick in :D

Edited by wheelhorseman
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

Arnold Decker

I built a bunch of these things back when Century Fox still had a plant in Oshkosh back in the 70's. Hein Werner moved to assembly of these to Waukesha after they closed the Oshkosh facility. Used to have a lot of problems with the spools sticking as I recall. I think I did make some changes to the spring to improve the spring force. Nothing like the slotted design I saw in some of the replies. I worked in engineering back then and played around with a bunch of different groove designs to try to improve the balancing of the spool to help keep it from sticking. They could have a fair amount of leakage if the fit between the spool and the body wasn't tight enough. I remember we had a special tool we used to face both sides of the gears so they would be parallel. We measured each gear and sorted them by size to match them to the gear pockets and lapped the gear into each unit. There were a couple different tractor manufactures using these back them. Pretty sure Bolens and Simplicity used them too. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 3

WHX??

:WRS:  Mr Decker and thanks for the info. These units are in favor for us guys that field plow as we can fit old skool hydraulics to lift plows.

You don't happen to live in Aurora WI??? 

@Achtoruns an older Century fitted to his Raider 12. I am fitting one up to my Raider 12 we believe to have came off a Simplicity. 

@wheelhorseman

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2

Achto

@Arnold Decker :WRS: Here are a couple of pictures of my Century Fox pump custom mounted on my Raider 12. Wheel Horse used a counter clock wise rotation pump, mine is a CW rotation so it had to be mounted on the flywheel side of the engine. I was able to save the Century Fox label. This has "made in Oshkosh" very legible on it. Thanks for your work on these hydraulic units, the compact design makes them very versatile. I wish they still made them.

DSCN1928-min.JPG.d06cfbf0a8ca879d85de8b1a34a29cb9.JPGDSCN1932-min.JPG.ad43c737053115b80b191bf1c97124f5.JPG

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

Arnold Decker

Its really amazing to me that there are units like this still floating around. I know we built a lot of them up through the 70's and before that but it still amazes me that they are still in demand and use after all this time has gone by. That is a beautiful restoration....

Edited by Arnold Decker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
11 minutes ago, Arnold Decker said:

That is a beautiful restoration....

That ain't nothin you outta see the rest of his herd!

Do you still live near Oshkosh? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

@Arnold Decker As long as we have your attention, do you mind if I dig into your memory bank a little? Of course these units are old and have a lot of time on them. Some of them are getting a little slow after the fluid warms up. What would be the heaviest oil that you would recommend using in these pumps?

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1

Arnold Decker

Most gear pumps like thicker oil. The only thing you have to think about is winter use. I don't remember what oil was specified for these units. Normally the jack oil we used was ISO32. If you are working a pump hard without much cooling you can even go up to a 400 sus oil viscosity. We did that on some railroad jacks that were using only a gear pump to power them. Pressure is temperature too. Especially with a gear pump. If you are running at pressures higher than 500 or 600 psi you are going to start generating heat with a gear pump due to slip. At 2500 psi you need a thick oil to get the efficiency out of the pump. Motor oils like a 40W or even 50W oils would be in the 150-200 ISO viscosity range. You could go with a 20W50 synthetic as an option if you were looking to reduce blow by and still get flow when it gets cold. Let's talk about base oil stocks. That is what the oil companies start with when the start to blend oils that they market. It used to be almost everything was Group 1 which was what 100% of motor oils used to be. It was created by cracking crude oil in the same way it had been done for more than 75 years. Now a days everything is pretty much Group II. That means they have a way to do additional refining to remove the things from the base oil that affect its viscosity with temperature like paraffin, and the other contaminates that cause higher levels of oxidation and reduce lubricity. Purity levels on base stock oils can be as high as 99%. These oils are referred to a white oils, similar to what you see in a bottle of baby oil. High purity and non toxic before they put in the additives that improve wear like zinc and other additives that reduce foaming and improve air release. Because most oils today are made from Group II base stocks motor oils can even be an option for many hydraulic systems. The semi synthetic motor oils out there today can provide high performance with a nice blend of viscosity performance for simple hydraulic systems. The link below is a good place to understand the relationship between SAE grades and ISO viscosities. Enjoy!

https://bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/#:~:text= Viscosity at 100%26deg%3BC , 41.4-50.6 9 more rows

• Excellent 1