Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Second Planting of Squash

Prater

I am trying some fall gardening with a summer variety. I just finished seeding 27 mounds of Crookneck Squash to see if we can get a nice harvest before we try to plant for the farmers market next year. Wish me luck...

312Hydro

I don't think you need luck,Steve. From reading your gardening posts I think you do a great job managing your garden. I'll give you 2 thumbs up for effort though! :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Prater

Thanks Rich. Hoping to add some Pecan and fruit trees this fall. I need more bees in the area...anyone good with aviaries?

Prater

Here is the start of the seeds with the water system connected. I will mulch after the young seeds break through.

IMG_0842.jpg

Prater

Yesterday the new plants started breaking through the ground, That was fast...

Prater

A couple of updated pics. I just lost some pumkins to squash bugs so I am using sevin dust around these young plants. I really need to work on protecting the garden from the pests organically but it may take some time to figure it out.

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

Prater

So far everything is looking good. Still using Sevin to keep the squash bugs away...

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

Prater

The squash look to be ready for blooms. I have not mulched them yet, I have seen squash bugs in the mulch around the watermellons and I dont want them to have a safe haven around the squash. Once I feel all the bug threat is gone I will mulch.

IMG_0862_zps38e86bd9.jpg

312Hydro

Great job with those squash, Steve. I get a lot of enjoyment seeing your garden pics. Keep 'em posted! My garden is starting to fade as the night temperatures are beginning to get cooler. I did get 160 tomatoes out of the garden 3 days ago.

Prater

My tomatoes did not do so well. I have some green ones but the bugs really did some damage earlier this year. It will be better next year.

Prater

Checked the garden this morning just as the sun was rising. Nice blooms and squash on the plants. Okra and Peppers are still producing good amounts. Some of the bell pepper plants are so laden with peppers that they are laying over on the ground.

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

Prater

I should be picking squash by the end of the week...And I now have bees in my garden, so happy that they finally arrived. Better late than never....

• Like 1

Prater

Picked these last night.

IMG_2753.jpg

Here are a couple of pics I took before work this morning.

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

No bugs so I will start mulching this week. Supposed to get cold this weekend...

Prater

I have pulled about 50 squash so far...last night was a chance of frost so we pulled out the mulch and plastic sheet for protection. Good thing we did, there was ice on the vehicles and the unprotected plants in the garden. Hope the squash made it, this morning when i removed the plastic they looked good but will have to wait until after work today for me to check on them.

All mulched in.

IMG_2760.jpg

Plastic just draped over the plants for some protection

IMG_2761.jpg

I did not have enough plastic for 4 or 5 plants, hope they survived.

Prater

The squash survived, they are a bit beaten but alive. We had a pretty heavy frost, the top leaves are dying but there are new leaves growing underneath.

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

Prater

So far I have harvested around 15 pounds of squash. I am slicing and freezing them in 1 pound vacuum seal bags. If I can keep them alive for another month I will be very happy. I think we are going to skip squash in the spring since the bugs devour them and just plant in the fall.

312Hydro

Wow Steve, I think we need to move you up a class from "Garden" to "Mini Farm"! Thanks for sharing your pics. :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:

Prater

Thanks,

I just picked this about an hour ago...

IMG_0883.jpg

• Like 1

Prater

I am pleasantly suprised that my squash is putting on new leaves and flowers, the bees are back and I have another good pick yesterday. I reallly thought the frost would have killed everything. Even my okra has blooms and new leafs.

Prater

I ended up with 27 Pounds of squash in the freezer. We probably gave away aonther 10 to 15 pounds and ate a few pounds. This week ahad a few nights of freezing temps and it killed off everything except the Sugar Snap Peas.

I would have had more but the first frost damaged the plants. It seems the plants I covered were worse than the ones I did not cover. Here are a few pics.

Squash that was under plastic for the first frost

IMG_2811.jpg

Squash that was uncovered for the first frost

IMG_2812.jpg

Everything getting tilled back in.

IMG_2828.jpg

Next year I will not cover the squash during the first frosts unless I have som hoops to keep the plastic off the plants.