Sign in to follow this  
EdG.

modified my C-125 spindles with stainless top covers

EdG.

Every time I greased my front spindles the grease always works it's way back up and no matter how much I wiped it off it still shows up after a little use. So I started thinking of making some kind of cover. I came up with the idea of drilling a hole and tapping it (1/4-20) in the top of the spindles and bolting on some kind of cover.

I made a crude little fixture to drill the spindles. Not pretty but at least it centered the drill and kept it straight while hand drilling.

I found these stainless steel 'sink stoppers' at Menard's and they looked like they would do the trick after I cut the top off of them and drilled a hole in the center. I was able to cut the tops off with my Dremel tool with a little cut-off wheel.

I also picked up (at Menards) some ¼-20 chrome bolts, chrome washers and chrome lock washers.

I drilled the ¼â€ hole in the stainless tops using my lathe before I cut the tops off. (that way it put the hole in the center.

The covers are just big enough diameter that they do not rub on the cast iron axle when turning the wheels.

I thought I would share my information in case there was anybody who would like to do the same.

And NO, I do not have too much time on my hands, just a little off in the head.

2146094090087987531S600x600Q85.jpg

2318763350087987531S600x600Q85.jpg

2717879570087987531S600x600Q85.jpg

2220432980087987531S600x600Q85.jpg

2090508570087987531S600x600Q85.jpg

• Like 3

whfan74

I like the creative design that you came up with there. Please report back after a while and let us know how it works out. Adds a little bling to the front of the tractor as well! I like it!

wingrider

Hey Ed glad to see your back in action. Looks like your getting a good start on your tractor, keep up the good work.

I'll send you a email later but I'm having problems with your address, it won't go thru and it keeps sending it back.

Send me a email so I can confirm your address.

Later Wingrider aka Gary B

Tankman

Bling, looks good. Something more to polish too! :laughing-rofl:

Ken B

I like the idea and it looks pretty cool!

Zeek

I like the creative design that you came up with there. Please report back after a while and let us know how it works out. Adds a little bling to the front of the tractor as well! I like it!

:text-yeahthat:

EdG.

I will report back but it's going to be awhile. This tractor started out as a C-125 rescue but I am turning it into a custom.

I am slow, but so far I can not see any problems with the little stainless covers. It's just something that I dreamed up and wanted to do.

I have more dreams for this tractor but time will tell if they will get done or not, or if they will even work or not.

dclarke

Nice work Ed. :thumbs: I like it!