Sign in to follow this  
HunterdonNJ

steering slipping

HunterdonNJ

Before I go and start digging into why the steering wheel jumps (skips) when I turn hard and fast on my 416, has anyone else dealt with that problem? I know my C121 couldn't do that as the wheel is pinned to the shaft but I gather the 4 and 500's are not.

Thanks!

Kelly

The wheel is pinned the same way, look at the lower steering block to see if it is broken near one of the mounting bolts, that will let it skip, I've seen many of them broken.

SousaKerry

also check the backlash between the fan gear and the the bevel gear, sometimes a few well placed shims can make all the difference in the world.

Don1977

also check the backlash between the fan gear and the the bevel gear, sometimes a few well placed shims can make all the difference in the world.

Some of the older ones just had a washer and carter key holding the backlash between the gears. I have seen the carter key worn and bent on my tractor causing the gears to slip when turning sharp. Don't know when it was changed, the newer fan gear shaft came with a castlelated nut and carter key for adjustment. I replaced my steering shafts quite a few years back and the fan gear was the newer type.

TT

Follow this link to some good info:

HunterdonNJ

You guys seem to be correct. I see now that the shaft is turning when it jumps. These Onan motors take so much room I guess removing the battery and tray will give me a good shot at checking it out. I still have to mow with it for awhile so it's a quick fix or just hope it continues slipping but still turns ;)