Sign in to follow this  
woodsman993

HY-2 return spring

woodsman993

Is there any reliable sources for the HY-2/3 return spring? I see the "new and improved" style as used on the 1054 and cub's hydro unit but none of the older "upright" style available. Any suggestions?

Dan

AMC RULES

x2 :scratchead:

CasualObserver

PM Marshall and ask him nicely if he has any. :)Indy w h or call Norm at Norm's toys. http://www.normstoys.com/

Some informational reading...

woodsman993

Thanks Casual Oberver, that link was interesting reading.

woodsman993

I am contemplating converting my hy-2 spool and plate to a 1054/cub style so I have access to springs. Have any of you tried this yet?

Lane Ranger

I have not made the change in a 1054/1054- A hydraulic pump like you are contemplating but I had the same thought when I repaired two Hein-Werner pumps last year.

The old style return spring on legs and the newer style butter-fly wing spring have different setups in the cylinder that is in the hydro pump housing for the hydraulic fluid.

Some of these photos I took may help you or others that would be interested in this.

I would encourage you to take lots of photos of a rebuild and any changes you make we would all appreacaite learning about!

That is what makes Red Square a grat place for tractor owners to keep them going -50 or more years after they were made in a lot of cases!

100_9617.jpg

100_9616.jpg

100_7464.jpg

100_9613.jpg

100_9622.jpg

100_9620.jpg

Photo of two of the newer version springs for the 1054 and 1054-A standard Hein-Werner pumps:

102_0324.jpg

More 953 old style and early HY-2 Hydraulic Pump used on the 953 Wheel Horse Garden Tractor (Serial No- 62-580). The Hein-Werner Hydraulic Pump Metal tag lists the Model No. as A-4 00WH and the Serail No 1305.

Also here is another variation on the Hy-2 pump that was only used in the very early models of the 953 Wheel Horse tractor. This came off of a tractor we have that is (Serial No: 62-580).

NOTE that the handle is not flat like all the other 953/1055 and 1054-A's that I have seen - it is a round rod and extends out past the housing. Also the container or housing for the fluid and spring and cylinder is wider by about an inch and a half in this photo.

The port for refilling the hydraulic pump is also on the end of it and built into the housing unlike the screw in port that was in the middle of the housing on later models.

102_0327.jpg

When installed on the tractor, this pump has a rounded frame covering the pump housing that was molded into the left side tractor frame guard where the clutch/brake pedal is located.

100_0624.jpg

100_0621.jpg

100_0620.jpg

Photo of longer cylinder and the port for refilling with the cap off:

100_0623.jpg

100_0624.jpg

102_0325.jpg

A good photo of the whole pump:

102_0326.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

So...to clarify, am I correct to say this type spring is the most difficult one to obtain.

When searching for another one...which type is this spring known as...is there a part number assigned to it we should be looking for?

:text-coolphotos: Thanks Lane.

Aside from fabbing up your own...does anyone know of a source for another of this type?

post-3498-0-96969100-1345396947_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

That is correct Craig . Part No 4837 in the May 10, 1963 Wheel Horse 953 Manual.

• Like 1