Zeek

Harbor Freight Mini Tire Changer Eval

Zeek

Based on experience, I think Terry M's idea is great.  I have mine bolted to a work bench which is bolted to the wall.

The two issues that I experienced that Terry's setup eliminates or makes easier is:

• It's lower so you can get more leverage on the bar when necessary (and it will be)
  • there are no clearance issues, so you can get a full 360 degree spin on the bar

Nice job Terry, thanks for sharing it.

• Like 1

rustykan

I welded a long bolt on top of the larger HF tire changer...2.small disc blades (same size to fit inside 8" rim) put one blade on bottom, then tire and rim, then another blade on top...run nut down on bolt to hold rim in place.....and you are ready to work on the tire...works for me..poor guys have poor ways!!!

Any chance of seeing a photo of your conversion?

Zeek

I used this again to mount some new front tires on my 1276.

I have one update on the lube. The tires I dealt with this time were a little stiffer and I found the 303 Protectant was not slippy enough :ranting:

What did find was this Bead Lube at NAPA for LESS THAN $2.00 :twocents-mytwocents:

It works MUCH better and there is enough in there to do several sets of tires. By the way, both the set I took off and the set I put on did not have tubes. Like I said before, if the rim is completely clean they are no different than car tires and should not need tubes. I have 8 sets of tires mounted without tubes without issue. Granted on some of my older tire/rim combos they were necessary since they don't seal well either due to the age/stiffness of the rubber or rough rim surface.

I'd also add, that setup Terry M has on the hitch is better than my bench probably - lower/better leverage.

58c1b24147ea0_20170302_1829441.thumb.jpg.eec0b75f0339d4670c57f9447155828d.jpg

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 1

WHX??

Products like this work good when you are too ignorant to pop for the tire changer, use screwdrivers and mess up the bead! :angry-banghead:

1SHEAGKJG.jpg

Speaking of flammable your first post with the starting fluid is hilarious Zeek ! :laughing-rolling:

For starters, not as in fire starters, you have to have the bead fairly close to the rim if this trick is to work, other wise need a gallon of ether ...ask me how I know....:angry-extinguishflame:I also heard throwing a couple of M-80  in the tires will seat it too ....let us know how that works for ya:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RandyLittrell
On 8/20/2012 at 8:17 PM, rmm727 said:

I learned a trick from the local atv shop when mounting tires that come in like that. Cut yourself 3 pieces of 2x4 a little bit longer than the rim is wide. Put them in the tire to hold the bead apart and set the tire in the sun til it regains its shape.

I keep old tubes around just for that reason. Air them up inside the tire and set in the sun. Never thought of the 2x4's. Thanks for the tip!

Randy

RandyLittrell

I know this is old, but I finally bought one this last weekend and it works really well! I just clamped in the vise instead of bolting it down. I worked at the coop in high school and sometimes helped at the service station so changing tires is a little old hat, but its the best 33 bucks I have spent lately! 

Randy